CCHA Quarterfinals: Miami hosts Ohio St

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCHA Quarterfinals: Miami hosts Ohio St

Buckeyes swept ND at the Ice Rink, while Miami was enjoying a well deserved weekend off.

Miami leads the series with a 3-0-1 record this year, outscoring the Buckeyes 16-4 in those games.

Miami's senior class also holds a 12-2-4 record against Ohio State's senior Mathieu Picard. That includes a 6-1-1 record in the new Goggin.

Re: CCHA Quarterfinals: Miami hosts Ohio St

Need to give this a bump.

Should be a very good Second Round, and hopefully without the utter lack of energy we've seen for this round in recent years down in Oxford. Though the students are on Spring Break as always, I really hope this match-up bring back a larger-than-usual-for-Second-Round student and season ticket-holder Miami crowd in addition to the usual OSU contingent.

Caught the 1st and 2nd period of this past Saturday's OSU/ND game with redhawk95. Definitely enjoyed the Ice Rink more than the Schott, but by the second intermission, a beer sounded a lot better than watching a game that had been over since the first. It was hard to judge how well the Bucks were playing due to the absolutely awful ND performance. However, putting up 8 goals, even against this year's Irish squad, is certainly an indication that they are doing something right. From my generally hockey-ignorant perspective (), it seemed that the OSU defense was playing much more aggressively than they did earlier in the season. It worked very well against the Irish, but it will be interesting to see how it will play out against a team like Miami.

Very excited to head down to Ox on Friday. Go RedHawks!
    Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Western College Hockey Blogs take on the series

#1 Miami vs. #8 Ohio State

The Buckeyes are 0-3-1 against Miami on the year, though the last game was a hard-fought 0-0 tie in Columbus. This series is a lot more interesting than if Miami was matched up against last place Bowling Green, which is why I like this playoff format better for a 12-team conference, but Miami is going to be really tough to beat at home. I could see Ohio State taking a game to overtime, but I have a tough time believing they'll win a game, let alone two.

Comment

This is a great matchup for us for the plain and simple reason that we typically "take off" this second round series when the building isn't completely full due to spring break. What I mean is the opponent has tended to be Lake St. or NMU or BG - and no offense to them - but without the usual energy or passion that comes from the stands, the guys have sometimes played down to competition. That absolutely will not be the case against your in-state rival.

What's more is I don't think OSU can play the type of defensive shell that those teams would normally employ though they certainly retreated around the net on Saturday at the Schott. That, and Carlson playing excellent held us off the board though we carried the play all night.

At the end of the weekend, we will have played Ohio State 6, or possibly 7, times this year. Wow.
        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Looking at this series on paper Miami should win in 2 games. They have played at a very high level most if not all year long and went 3-0-1 vs. OSU this year. They have proven they are at the very least the 2nd best team in college hockey. They play as a team for the name on the front of the sweater, have solid goaltending and superior coaching. As for OSU, they have under achieved all year and have proven to be a mediocre team with a losing record. Most nights they play for the name on the back of the sweater, goaltending has been up and down and they have a lame duck coaching staff probably on their way out the door. They went 3-3-4 down the stretch, including a 0-0 tie with Miami and 2 wins this last weekend vs. ND. They have won games against some very good teams this year but they have a losing record in the CCHA, on the season and their road record is 3-9-3. As stated above on paper this all points to a 2 game series for Miami, but that is why they play the games.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
            They have a lame duck coaching staff probably on their way out the door.
            I sure hope you are right about this. Please, Gene Smith, show that you give a rip about our hockey program and do not renew this coaching staff!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
              This is a great matchup for us for the plain and simple reason that we typically "take off" this second round series when the building isn't completely full due to spring break. What I mean is the opponent has tended to be Lake St. or NMU or BG - and no offense to them - but without the usual energy or passion that comes from the stands, the guys have sometimes played down to competition. That absolutely will not be the case against your in-state rival.

What's more is I don't think OSU can play the type of defensive shell that those teams would normally employ though they certainly retreated around the net on Saturday at the Schott. That, and Carlson playing excellent held us off the board though we carried the play all night.

At the end of the weekend, we will have played Ohio State 6, or possibly 7, times this year. Wow.
              There is a lot to what you said, something I will add though is in past years I don't think a lot of Miami teams have really been mature enough to make the leap. We saw it last year and they learned in two weeks and made a run. However I think this team this year is probably the most mature team Miami has ever had. This team has gone through the highs and lows together in the past year and IMO have come out a lot better for it.

I don't see anyway this team has any kind of let down. They have been preaching 3 championships all year, they got the first one and want the second.
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
                Looking at this series on paper Miami should win in 2 games. They have played at a very high level most if not all year long and went 3-0-1 vs. OSU this year. They have proven they are at the very least the 2nd best team in college hockey. They play as a team for the name on the front of the sweater, have solid goaltending and superior coaching. As for OSU, they have under achieved all year and have proven to be a mediocre team with a losing record. Most nights they play for the name on the back of the sweater, goaltending has been up and down and they have a lame duck coaching staff probably on their way out the door. They went 3-3-4 down the stretch, including a 0-0 tie with Miami and 2 wins this last weekend vs. ND. They have won games against some very good teams this year but they have a losing record in the CCHA, on the season and their road record is 3-9-3. As stated above on paper this all points to a 2 game series for Miami, but that is why they play the games.
                I was at the past two OSU Saturday night games and they looked as good as I had seen them all year. There's something to be said about playing your best at the right time.
                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

I was at the past two OSU Saturday night games and they looked as good as I had seen them all year. There's something to be said about playing your best at the right time.
                  ND was not playing very well down the stretch, 2 wins in their last 10 games I think?! I would say that ND pretty much mailed it in after the first 2 goals were scored on Sat. Now yes the game against you guys was big and would give me more confidence if OSU was playing at home.

I sure hope you are right about this. Please, Gene Smith, show that you give a rip about our hockey program and do not renew this coaching staff!
                  I hope I am right too.

Comment

Yes it was great but as you Miami fans know the real "right time" to play your best is all season long.

Comment

Will miss the Friday game but will be there on Saturday for last call for Markell.

Comment

The " PRESSURE " is on Miami not to get upset and knocked out.

The BIG question is , can the Buckeyes take this series to game three?
                        " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
                          The " PRESSURE " is on Miami not to get upset and knocked out.

The BIG question is , can the Buckeyes take this series to game three?
                          ummmm wrong again, nice try.

And seriously please learn when to use quotes and caps properly. You will never be taken serious until then....
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                            Will miss the Friday game but will be there on Saturday for last call for Markell.
                            Are there going to be any creative signs for Markells farewell tour?

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                              ummmm wrong again, nice try.

And seriously please learn when to use quotes and caps properly. You will never be taken serious until then....

OK , " MOM. "
                              " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Working...
                              X