2009-2010 CCHA Playoffs Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 CCHA Playoffs Thread

ND is in for a treat playing in the "old rink" which holds maybe 900. OSU abandoned it to the newly formed women's team after moving to the NHL quality arena of the Schott (GOD I hate that name!!) back in '99. OSU has a multi year contract to host the state wrestling tournament in the Schott and as consequence bumps the hockey team out which is really demeaning to the program and it's players. Back when the old rink was our home ice Red Berenson used to say OSU should be forced from the CCHA because the rink was substandard to the conference and yet here we are back in it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      ND is in for a treat playing in the "old rink" which holds maybe 900. OSU abandoned it to the newly formed women's team after moving to the NHL quality arena of the Schott (GOD I hate that name!!) back in '99. OSU has a multi year contract to host the state wrestling tournament in the Schott and as consequence bumps the hockey team out which is really demeaning to the program and it's players. Back when the old rink was our home ice Red Berenson used to say OSU should be forced from the CCHA because the rink was substandard to the conference and yet here we are back in it again.
      Unfortunately, the options are pretty limited. It would be quite expensive to rent Nationwide. What about the old "Chiller," the fairgrounds Coliseum?
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Unfortunately, the options are pretty limited. It would be quite expensive to rent Nationwide. What about the old "Chiller," the fairgrounds Coliseum?
        The coliseum is booked for high school basketball playoffs and is every year, all other rinks in town have even less seating than OSU's old rink although I'm not sure of the capacity of the Ice Hause where the Jackets practice but they are probably hosting like everyone, high school playoffs. Playoffs at Nationwide will never happen as the cost would be equivalent to what they get to allow wrestling at the Schott so if they were willing to do that then why kick them out of their arena in the first place?
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-28-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          The coliseum is booked for high school basketball playoffs and is every year, all other rinks in town have even less seating than OSU's old rink although I'm not sure of the capacity of the Ice Hause where the Jackets practice but they are probably hosting like everyone, high school playoffs. Playoffs at Nationwide will never happen as the cost would be equivalent to what they get to allow wrestling at the Schott so if they were willing to do that then why kick them out of their arena in the first place?
          The other problem with booking any other venue is that it would have to be done months in advance, without knowing if it would actually be necessary.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The other problem with booking any other venue is that it would have to be done months in advance, without knowing if it would actually be necessary.
            So true. I just checked and the Ice Haus has 750 fixed seats and capacity for 1500. For those of you around the CCHA it's an extra, smaller arena attached to Nationwide Arena, home to the Blue Jackets. It's the Jacket's practice ice and is an EXACT replica of the playing ice down to the emblems under the ice and the ads along the boards. And as I thought they do have high school hockey there next Saturday night and figure skating exhibitions associated with the Arnold Fitness Classic during the daytime Saturday. What can I say? S**ks to be us!

Comment

That's a pretty bold prediction for a Michigan team whose starting goaltending is in doubt.
              Bump.

Comment

Working...
              X