Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing time on Senior Night....

What are your opinions?

Should everybody dress and play regardless of capability (e.g. non-scholarship players that haven't played all year)?

Does the game having significant post-season implications factor into the decision?

Share your thoughts and observations.
    maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Re: Playing time on Senior Night....

I think it is always nice to dress all the seniors. Our starting line last night had all 4 seniors, two who have not been dressing this season. Obviously not a game of any consequence for Miami outside the rivalry with tOSU and for momentum but it was nice to see Hetland get an assist and almost knock in a goal (a really nice save by Heeter/Carlson I don't know which was in net at the time) in only his 8th game in the last three years.

Comment

It's not automatic. It depends on where you are in your league standings, how important is the game to your tourney chances, etc. It's nice to see the seniors get the start whenever possible but winning the games comes first.
      sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

If the game has no implications as to post season play, I think an effort should be made to dress someone on Senior night. Of course that's a pretty restrictive situation, as the standings are usually close enough in most leagues that a given game usually can impact a position in the standings. IMO I would make the effort as long as certain things were a given, such as a regular season title is already clinched, or first round bye, or no chance of that but home ice is secured, or really any other time your position in the standings is determined.

I don't think most team usually have a lot of players in this position. IIRC, Notre Dame has had just one guy in the last few years who fell into this category.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
          I think it is always nice to dress all the seniors. Our starting line last night had all 4 seniors, two who have not been dressing this season. Obviously not a game of any consequence for Miami outside the rivalry with tOSU and for momentum but it was nice to see Hetland get an assist and almost knock in a goal (a really nice save by Heeter/Carlson I don't know which was in net at the time) in only his 8th game in the last three years.
          It was cool seeing both those guys get a last hoorah at the new Goggin. Hell, they are the first class that has only played at that building, never got to play in the old barn. I'm just glad that it didn't have a detrimental effect in the end (a loss). I don't think we see them tonight in Columbus. Need to get our chemistry back and keep rolling with the momentum into our bye week.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
            maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

A little late to this, but here goes....

Union dressed Jeff Christiansen on their senior night (Feb 20th) and he hadn't played all year. Several members of the team went to coach Nate Leaman and pleaded their case to let Christiansen play. Leaman was hesitant to do so, since it was an important game for Union to win (they were trying to solidify their position in the ECAC standings). After much encouragement, Leaman decided to play Christiansen, who scored the go-ahead goal in the second period.

I didn't mind this move at all - Union wouldn't have lost any ground in the standings, since they already clinched a first round bye. Leaman did have to sit one of his regular 3rd line players to allow Christiansen to play, but it clearly paid off.
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I am a big believer that college hockey is an experience as well as a sport. Those who toil in practice obscurity for four years with little to no playing time yet give their all on ice and in the classroom deserve a chance to wear the uniform on senior night and get on to the ice.

Sure coaches want to win, but there is also doing "what's right" by the kids who give their all to make all the others better. I see nothing wrong with a few shifts for those who gave their all.

It's the right thing to do.

Comment

For those that don't know, this question is the result of a MSU player quitting the team the morning of Senior Night after finding out he would not be dressing. A pretty ugly public feud ensued afterward. Fortunately it has not had any negative affects on the team.

I believe that it is a privilege, not a right to dress on any given night...senior night included. Considering that Michigan State is fighting for their lives in the NCAA rankings, Rick Comley did the right thing, in my opinion, by dressing the best lineup to come away with a victory.

Some players are meant to be stars, others are meant to fill bench roles and be locker room guys. There is a sign above the tunnel that leads to the ice at Munn Arena that says "The name on the front the jersey is more important than the one on the back." College hockey would be a better game if everyone took this to heart.

I'll never forget Anson Carter answering the question as to why he continued working so hard in a blowout loss, and how difficult it must have been...he said "I am afraid to lose my spot in the lineup." There should be no special treatment for any player in college athletics.
                  MICHIGAN STATE
                  1966:1986:2007

Comment

Working...
                  X