Norwich: the best of the rest in 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwich: the best of the rest in 2010

Growing up in Vermont I witnessed Middlebury during the golden years and have seen 9 of the last 12 national championship final fours. I do not claim to be an expert of hockey but as a Vermont fan who supports Castleton, Norwich, Middlebury and even Plattsburgh I would have to say in all my years of watching DIII hockey this is the best team top to bottom I have seen. They have an incredible combination of size and speed and they work beautifully together. They may not have a Keith Aucoin or Nikita Khashirsky but Thomas and Forkney are big time players and their supporting cast is better than the formers. If you look at Norwich's 4th line you are seeing players that would start not only on other division 3 teams but some of the better division 3 teams.

I have seen Oswego play this year, Middlebury 2x, Castleton 2x and Plattsburgh once and Norwich is on another level. I am not saying this team cannot be beat, its hockey and games are usually decided by 1 goal but if I were Coach McShane I would feel very confident heading into the playoffs. They only lost one game the whole year which was to Williams who they outshot by more than 25 shots! This team is big, fast, athletic and boy can they move the puck. Good luck to all the teams as they approach the playoffs, but look out for the Cadets because they are as good as you'll see at this level.

Re: Norwich: the best of the rest in 2010

Well I guess the season is over: we should just hand the title to Norwich!!!!

Comment

I understand that the Norwich Best of the Rest post is not a prediction of things to come but only a comparison of then (years past) versus now as well as us versus them (other teams). In that context it is a wonderful perspective.

And while I am sure that all NU fans secretly agree with this assessment most would agree that doing aerial victory rolls right now about the future is a bit premature. After all the first lesson one learns in the NU military environment is that "Murphy was an optimist."

Perhaps it is better only to reinforce what was said by someone else on Norwich thread, e.g. that the superb NU team of 1999-00 had 5 Freshman and 9 Seniors. This current version of Norwich "Hot Shots Part Deux" has 7 Seniors and 12 Freshman.

What is really remarkable these guys do not have a single sensation leading Division III scoring stats but statistics that reflect diversity and depth that we have not seen in a couple of years.

So while claiming titles may be is a little early--many of these kids are going to be with us through the 2013 season. And just imagine the maturing high school hockey talent looking at this team now and hoping to fit in somewhere in the seasons to come. Good luck next weekend CADETS. But remember, we only can play expect these kids to focus on one game at a time--and this weekend it is UNE!
      Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-24-2010, 10:20 AM.
      Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
      Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

High school???
        D-III Game Pics @ http://www.willcimages.com

Friends of Panther Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by WillieC View Post
          High school???
          I stand corrected. Thanks.
          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

High school???
            Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
            I stand corrected. Thanks.
            We have 3 direct from high school player and 3 prep school players listed on the current roster. One of NU's contributions to the NHL (Keith Aucoin)was a direct from high school player. Sooo.....

It's snowing and I don't feel like shoveling - already done it once...
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

High school???
              Sure WillieC Norwich usually recruits at least one high school player every couple of years.
              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

It would be OK with me if this thread was eliminated. Although this has been a season to be proud of (and somewhat unexpected), we are getting ahead of ourselves anointing this team the second coming of the 2000 or 2003 teams. Let's not jinx them!

As long as they keep playing with the same hustle, enthusiasm and pride as they have all year that will be enough for me. Let the results speak for themselves after the fact not before.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguard View Post
                  It would be OK with me if this thread was eliminated. Although this has been a season to be proud of (and somewhat unexpected), we are getting ahead of ourselves anointing this team the second coming of the 2000 or 2003 teams. Let's not jinx them!

As long as they keep playing with the same hustle, enthusiasm and pride as they have all year that will be enough for me. Let the results speak for themselves after the fact not before.
                  When I responded to the original post I wanted to be clear that it is okay to celebrate and acknowledge the wonderful way this club has come together so far without any reference with what may happen near term. I believe that is what the originator of this thread had in mind. I fully agree let focus on the next game and hopefully let the results speak for themselves after the fact.

Comment

When I responded to the original post I wanted to be clear that it is okay to celebrate and acknowledge the wonderful way this club has come together so far without any reference with what may happen near term. I believe that is what the originator of this thread had in mind. I fully agree let focus on the next game and hopefully let the results speak for themselves after the fact.
                    Never forget UMB 1 NU 0 (OT)

When we drew UMB last year I said they were the team I'd least like to play in the first round - I didn't want to be prophetic, but I was. That being said, I don't feel that way about UNE, but never make assumptions about playoff games - ever.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguard View Post

For my own part and what seems to be the general OSU consensus, I completely agree, and this is why no one on the Lakers thread has said "boo" about comparing our guys to the team 3 years back or that we are the definitive school to take it all. It's been an unheralded and excellent season in Oswego, with a similiar freshman-to-senior ratio that's on fire this season.

But, they're beatable, the fans are modest, and no one is daring to park the cart in front of the horse by doing things like create new threads about "being the best of 2010". All I have said, and will continue to say is best of luck to the Lakers - this has been an awesome season so far, take it one game at a time, and never say any words that I have even a remote chance of eating later on.

BTW, congrats on becoming USCHO #1 - it's been a splendid duel between the Cadets and Lakers so far, and I wouldn't mind if the two teams meet each other in the future. It would be an excellent game I bet.
                      "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
                      this is for you."
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        Never forget UMB 1 NU 0 (OT)

When we drew UMB last year I said they were the team I'd least like to play in the first round - I didn't want to be prophetic, but I was. That being said, I don't feel that way about UNE, but never make assumptions about playoff games - ever.
                        I have not forgotten UMB last year. Nor I have I forgotten the first game NU played this year... against UNE who scored first and took a tie game into the 3rd period. Like I said, I am counting on nothing more than the next game will be played.

Comment

I have not forgotten UMB last year. Nor I have I forgotten the first game NU played this year... against UNE who scored first and took a tie game into the 3rd period. Like I said, I am counting on nothing more than the next game will be played.
                          I guess going a little sideways on this thread but......m-ville over Fredonia yesterday............there ya go.thats y they play the game
                          Last edited by bakdraft21; 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                            I guess going a little sideways on this thread but......m-ville over Fredonia yesterday............there ya go.
                            Good example...

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                              I guess going a little sideways on this thread but......m-ville over Fredonia yesterday............there ya go.thats y they play the game
                              I am already nervous enough without being reminded but you point is exactly what I am driving at.

Comment

Working...
                              X