Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH at Maine - Feb 5/6 (Flame on!!)

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    The kid is from Rousses Point, NY....we did a bridge there not too long ago...just across the water from the tree huggers in Vermont. How Maine got this kid from VT is beyond me. So far of what I've seen him play I've been impressed. Of course anyone in a ME or CE program impresses me.
    Must have been through the NH Monarchs connection and Corkum.

Comment

Recent history says a UNH sweep........but I'll say a split by identical 4-3 scores.......take your pick on which night each team wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
        WABI is carrying the Saturday night game.
        Thanks much Gus. They do a good job with Maine games on WABI so I look forward to watching.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

What is the attendance looking like for this one? Will there be tickets available at the box office?
          Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
            What is the attendance looking like for this one? Will there be tickets available at the box office?
            Of course there will be. They'll be lucky to break 5,000 for each game.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
              Of course there will be. They'll be lucky to break 5,000 for each game.
              I bet the Alfond will break 5,000 each night for both of the game just because it's UNH. Should be a good atmosphere. The last game at the Alfond was Merrimack which was the 9th of January so fans are ready for a league game. (not counting the exhibition games)
              Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                I bet the Alfond will break 5,000 each night for both of the game just because it's UNH. Should be a good atmosphere. The last game at the Alfond was Merrimack which was the 9th of January so fans are ready for a league game. (not counting the exhibition games)
                They might sneak past 5,000 but I doubt that either game will be "sold out". Maine Hockey just isn't that "****" anymore.......

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                  They might sneak past 5,000 but I doubt that either game will be "sold out". Maine Hockey just isn't that "****" anymore.......
                  Saturdays game might sell out, I'll bet Fridays doesn't
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Unfortunately, someone's a bonehead and forgot to ask for Saturday off, so unless I can get someone to switch with me, I'll likely be relegated to internet viewing/listening this weekend

Hard to see anything more or less than a split this weekend, and I think UNH would be happy to get out of there with 2 points and a series win over the Black Bears, but they will probably the toughest two games up there in a while...

If I can swing it, I'lll be there, if not, have fun everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                      Unfortunately, someone's a bonehead and forgot to ask for Saturday off, so unless I can get someone to switch with me, I'll likely be relegated to internet viewing/listening this weekend

Hard to see anything more or less than a split this weekend, and I think UNH would be happy to get out of there with 2 points and a series win over the Black Bears, but they will probably the toughest two games up there in a while...

If I can swing it, I'lll be there, if not, have fun everyone!
                      Gib, we need you pics! Make it if you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        Gib, we need you pics! Make it if you can!
                        haha
                        if you can make it worth my time

Comment

I was very pleased with this past weekends results vs. UVM. Still on the fence about how this series is going to go. I hope the crowds show up to give us the classic Alfond advantage back.
                          You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                          ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                          ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                          ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by catsfan View Post
                            Maine has the best power play in the country, statistically. UNH uncharacteristically has a very poor PK; they looked weak last night and are not even in the top 40 in the country. A key to the weekend will be whether or not the Cats can stay out of the penalty box, and whether UNH can do something about the PK; it just isn't working this year.; and it is not Foster's fault.
                            Before allowing a goal against BU's Powerplay, UNH had not allowed a goal in something like 24 consecutive penalty kills. The numbers for the season aren't that great, but when you give up 4/5 against BC in November, and something like 3/5 to Miami to start the year (those are just examples of a trend from early on), the overall numbers will never shine.

Recently, though, the penalty kill has been solid. It's really an extension of the entire team defense improving, almost game-to-game, from the start of the year. Huge strides have been made in that area. For example, look at how well disciplined the team was in killing the 6 on 3 against BU. Merrimack put up a couple goals over the past weekend, but they're one of the top PP's in the country (at 26.6%).

Having said that, Maine is tops in the league in PP at 30%, so . . . play smart, 'Cats.
                            I haven't been on here in a year...
                            Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Maine draws an average of 7.2 penalties on opponents this year, whereas the Cats are called for 5.0 pen/g. It should be interesting to see if the Bears try to instigate some UNH penalties to capitalize on their strengths.

The story of the weekend lies in the events of the first period, IMO. In order for Maine to have any chance of stealing points, they need to finish the first period with a lead - they are 7-0-2 when ahead after 1. To counter that, UNH is 2-4-3 when trailing after 1. UNH with a first period lead is 8-0-0, compared to Maine's record of 0-4-0 when trailing.
                              PP34 - BEAT LA

Comment

New USCHO rankings. #13 UNH vs #16 ME
                                Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Working...
                                X