No announcement yet.

UNH at Maine - Feb 5/6 (Flame on!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH at Maine - Feb 5/6 (Flame on!!)

I thought I saw the puck jump like it hit the post, must have been a rut or snow it hit. My eyes aren't what they used to be
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      Clock management at the end of the game was a complete "horror show". Anyone know why the whistle was blown with about 3.1 seconds left? Was the puck being trapped? The next 3.1 seconds ended up lasting about 8 seconds.
      No kidding! Reminded me of the 1972 Olympic basketball game between the US and Soviet Union! (kinda dates me, doesn't it?? oh well!)

Comment

On the clock issue...

We were hanging out in the Alfond after the game, figuring the only thing we would be doing for a while was wasting gas sitting in traffic. One of the veteran campus officers came over to us, and shared what he learned.

The whistle for the icing was not heard by the clock operator. Given how amazingly loud the Alfond was at that moment, it was totally understandable. As soon as the clock hit 0.00, the clock operator bolted for the door, in an attempt to beat the traffic (good luck, campus is on an island.)

Then, they had someone chase the clock operator out into the parking lot to tell him the game was not over, and to get back in there. The person operating the clock was so flustered by these events, that he could not do his job effectively the remainder of the game (all 3 seconds of it). Apparently people were yelling at him etc.

And on the topic of trying to beat the traffic...let me repeat...we are on an island. If you want to avoid traffic on a hockey night, either don't go to the game, or hang out for a half hour or so afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
          One of the things I'm really liking about this team is that they dont seem to have any quit in them. Down 2 the second night at Vermont and they come back to tie it, down 2 to UHN and come back to win it. Nice to see. Lets see if they dont quit on a sweep tonight.
          They did the same thing last year but got zero credit for it. The end product wasn't always there but there were a bunch of games where they went down and fought there way back into it.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Sorry True Blue but I disagree...I always account for the other team on the ice, and yes the Black Bears are a VERY good team...however I also believe in self deprecation when you give the game away....I might agree with Walrus that the Darling save at 2-0 UNH was huge, but there was ample time for UNH to get back the game....When Maine skated off with a tie game after 2 periods, I think they swept the series and get the big 4 for the weekend. and that is because I do respect the other team on the ice.....Maine wins up at the Alfond when they believe in themselves....we are the salmon swimming upstream tonight! C'mon Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearsfan45 View Post
              No kidding! Reminded me of the 1972 Olympic basketball game between the US and Soviet Union! (kinda dates me, doesn't it?? oh well!)
              Ha, thats exactly what I thought while watching it online (and I wasn't even born until 1976)... I was watching the internet feed (which was pretty dang good, well worth the free month of CSTV XXL ) and the first thing I thought of was 1972 Olympic hoops...

Hey good win for Maine, looked like, for as much as I got to watch, that it was a pretty good hockey game with plenty of chances, and plenty of great saves both ways. Maine just buried one more chance than UNH. Hopefully the 'cats will get out of there with a split tonight...

Comment

Great win last night bears! Still think Dee's holding penalty was bs as his stick is being held directly in front of the official and the end of the game was a joke! I dont know how many times we had to win that one but I hope it doesnt take that long tonight. 10 minutes for 3.1 seconds come on drop the friggin puck! Looking forward to tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  Sorry True Blue but I disagree...I always account for the other team on the ice, and yes the Black Bears are a VERY good team...however I also believe in self deprecation when you give the game away....I might agree with Walrus that the Darling save at 2-0 UNH was huge, but there was ample time for UNH to get back the game....When Maine skated off with a tie game after 2 periods, I think they swept the series and get the big 4 for the weekend. and that is because I do respect the other team on the ice.....Maine wins up at the Alfond when they believe in themselves....we are the salmon swimming upstream tonight! C'mon Cats!
                  Wrong UNH got beat, they did not give the game away. You are fee to think what you want, don't let the facts get in your way. Maine out shot UNH for the game, carried the play in their zone more than UNH and played a little more disciplined. Key ingredients for a win.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                    So let's just call it a weekend and not play the game tonight. I mean why did they even finish the game once Maine tied it up? Anything can happen tonight. Both teams played hard yesterday and UNH did not give the game away. They had a bunch of chances and Darling robbed us a few times, he played a great game. Did you watch the game in person or listen to it? Seems people who listened to it were much more upset.
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                      It was Desimone. Unbelievable save. We sat there shaking our heads for a few minutes after that one. I was really impressed by Maine's team speed, especially the Nyquist line. He can really create.
                      Nyquist is a Red Wings prospect... after seeing him, do you think he can do it at the NHL level in a few yrs?
                      Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                      ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                      Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                      Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                      Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                      NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                        Nyquist is a Red Wings prospect... after seeing him, do you think he can do it at the NHL level in a few yrs?
                        No doubt about it. Whoever said that Maine should just let him carry the puck in every time was right on. I knew he was good and have been impressed was his play the first five or so games I saw of him, but his speed last night really amazed me. Very composed with the puck. The kind of player who when he gets it, as an opposing fan, you say "oh crap, something bad is about to happen." Reminiscent of Gerbe and Wilson (just within the last few years) in that manner.
                        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                          Seems people who listened to it were much more upset.
                          Yep.. I was one of those...but it is always tough to judge quality of play (possession time/quality of shots/team defending) via radio feed. That is why I defer to you guys that were at the game or saw it on video feed or TV. If I see it, fine, but radio is always rough. You are going on what the radio guys tell you.

I was just pis sed because I felt this was a game we should not have let go. Up 2-0 in a rough building vs a hated rival... just gutting to not only give up the lead, but to then lose altogether.

UNH had their chances... the Butler shot at a shortie with the huge save from Darling was enormous, too. I think that would have put UNH back up by two at 3-1. Clearly Darling made some amazing stops and allowed his team to claw its way back into the game. Great goaltenders do that from time to time. Credit to him.

Should be a fun game tonight... but I disagree with zoo... tonight is far from decided already (even the Maine fans would agree with that). No one should be thinking tonight is a done deal for Maine. It could go either way... and again the goaltenders will be front and center in determining the outcome.
                          Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

UNH Wildcats
                          ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                          Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                          NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                            No doubt about it. Whoever said that Maine should just let him carry the puck in every time was right on. I knew he was good and have been impressed was his play the first five or so games I saw of him, but his speed last night really amazed me. Very composed with the puck. The kind of player who when he gets it, as an opposing fan, you say "oh crap, something bad is about to happen." Reminiscent of Gerbe and Wilson (just within the last few years) in that manner.
                            The UNH fan says "oh crap".. the Red Wings fan says "can't wait til he gets here!"

UNH Wildcats
                            ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                            NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                              The UNH fan says "oh crap".. the Red Wings fan says "can't wait til he gets here!"
                              I can't wait til he gets there either .
                              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by btb91 View Post
                                On the clock issue...

We were hanging out in the Alfond after the game, figuring the only thing we would be doing for a while was wasting gas sitting in traffic. One of the veteran campus officers came over to us, and shared what he learned.

The whistle for the icing was not heard by the clock operator. Given how amazingly loud the Alfond was at that moment, it was totally understandable. As soon as the clock hit 0.00, the clock operator bolted for the door, in an attempt to beat the traffic (good luck, campus is on an island.)

Then, they had someone chase the clock operator out into the parking lot to tell him the game was not over, and to get back in there. The person operating the clock was so flustered by these events, that he could not do his job effectively the remainder of the game (all 3 seconds of it). Apparently people were yelling at him etc.

And on the topic of trying to beat the traffic...let me repeat...we are on an island. If you want to avoid traffic on a hockey night, either don't go to the game, or hang out for a half hour or so afterward.

The best way to estimate a crowd is to ask the nearest cop leaning against the wall and when he gives you a figure, divide it by three.

The clock operator accesses the officials box via the ice and I didn't see him on the ice anytime before the end of the game. I think the cop gave you a crock about the clock.

To get out of Orono quickly after a game you have to have a seasoned bank robber ready at the wheel with the get-away car right outside the door but the campus cops may even screw that up practicing directing traffic.

Comment

Working...
                                X