Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket/Futile Four 2010

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
    We were initially encouraged by the offer from the St Lawrence Centre, as the chance to play inside a shopping mall was intriguing...but when we looked at the pictures on their website, the shoppers all looked too happy, preppy and affluent. Too bad that mall isn't located in Port au Prince.
    You expect them to show pictures of dreadful people? I bet all those pictures were taken before they moved out the ITG machine.

But if we were worried about Mississippi being 5 hours from Alabama-Huntsville, perhaps it provides too much of an advantage for Clarkson, seeing as how it's only 20 miles from hel- er Potsdam.

BTW, are we limited to locations within this country? We might be able to find a dump or two in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
      This member of the Gipp committee would like to point out having skated in both rinks. I would rather play hockey in the Kenner dome than the Gipp.
      I never would have guessed that.

It's not looking good for the Kenner Dome... the committee will have to go back to the drawing board and see if we can come up with a few more incentives.
      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        You expect them to show pictures of dreadful people? I bet all those pictures were taken before they moved out the ITG machine.

But if we were worried about Mississippi being 5 hours from Alabama-Huntsville, perhaps it provides too much of an advantage for Clarkson, seeing as how it's only 20 miles from hel- er Potsdam.

BTW, are we limited to locations within this country? We might be able to find a dump or two in Canada.
        I think actual pictures of those who have been traumatized by the Mall experience may sway the opinion of the committee. I will see what I can conjure up.

I second the question about locations only within the country? If not, I already have a couple rinks in mind from my youth hockey days across the river.

Here's a western suggestion:

The Harry J McDonald Memorial Center, located in Eagle River, Alaska. Seating only 700 lucky people who might venture up to the frozen tundra to watch the wildlife and see some snow, this olympic sized ice sheet was built in 1984. While it is 15 miles from Anchorage, it is still a very long trip for all but 2 potential teams.

Picture: http://www.mcdonaldcenter.net/schedule.htm

facility history: http://www.mcdonaldcenter.net/facility_history.htm
        Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

How bout this:
          http://www.ifyha.org/General/Area%20...nks.html#Idaho

scroll down to "Palouse Ice Rink" Moscow ID
          Ice is only 165 x 65. No locker rooms or seating. Located in the Rotary Pavilion on the county fairgrounds.
          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

New nomination for the Western Regional site: the L C Ice Arena of Lewiston, Idaho. Crappy website: check. Far from any D-1 hockey program: check. Zamboni parked out front: check.

EDIT: Never mind, the Palouse Ice Rink beats the LC Ice Arena any day.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

I was just checking those two rinks out as well, ironically. Couldn't find good links though.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The Tournament Committee's legal consul, the lowly esteemed firm of Howard, Howard & Fine, has just forwarded us a copy of a recent communication from the Canadian Foreign Ministry. It reads, in part:

"Whereas, Ice Hockey is legally designated as the Official Sport of the Dominion of Canada, and

Whereas, the Canadian people (regardless of political affiliation, gender, sexual preference or ethnicity) profess universal love and respect for the sport of ice hockey, and

Whereas, we (representing the aforementioned Canadian populace) have it on sound authority, that your 'event' known as "The Bottom Feeder's Bracket" and/or "The Futile Four" makes a mockery of our beloved national sport:

Let it be known that; the people of Canada shall consider any attempt, by any individual or group, to produce such an event within the sovereign borders of our nation, as an act of terrorism."
                Last edited by Freddie; 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM.
                Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

The Tournament Committee's legal consul, the lowly esteemed firm of Howard, Howard & Fine, has just forwarded us a copy of a recent communication from the Canadian Foreign Ministry. It reads, in part:

"Whereas, Ice Hockey is legally designated as the Official Sport of the Dominion of Canada, and

Whereas, the Canadian people (regardless of political affiliation, gender, sexual preference or ethnicity) profess universal love and respect for the sport of ice hockey, and

Whereas, we (representing the aforementioned Canadian populace) have it on sound authority, that your 'event' known as "The Bottom Feeder's Bracket" and/or "The Futile Four" makes a mockery of our beloved national sport:

Let it be known that; the people of Canada shall consider any attempt, by any individual or group, to produce such an event within the sovereign borders of our nation, as an act of terrorism."
                  Sounds like a perfect venture for the teams to really get some negative attention then, right? I say let's go north of the border!

Comment

How bout this:
                    http://www.ifyha.org/General/Area%20...nks.html#Idaho

scroll down to "Palouse Ice Rink" Moscow ID
                    Ice is only 165 x 65. No locker rooms or seating. Located in the Rotary Pavilion on the county fairgrounds.
                    Nice. As of right now, I'm placing my support behind the following sites:

Northeast
                    Hockey Town USA (Saugus, MA) - I understand that it's near Boston and their may be several New England teams in the tourney, but I feel that the following aspects are being overlooked: It has no glass on one side of the ice, the boards lean away from the playing surface, the benches are only slightly bigger than your average penalty box, the puck disappears under the boards in the corner where the Zamboni door is, and whiffleballs can fly onto the ice at any given time from the whiffleball area upstairs.

East
                    Frear Park Ice Rink(Troy, NY) - I'm still not completely sold on this place, but it's the best suggestion I've seen at the moment. I need to hear a little bit more about how crappy it is.

Midwest
                    George Gipp Arena (Laurium, MI) - That pic FTB&G posted is just epic.

West
                    Palouse Ice Rink (Moscow, ID) - Love it.

Futile Four
                    The Ice Park (Flowood, MS) - As the one who suggested this place, I'll take responsibility for organizing The Ice Park's formal bid to host the 2010 Futile Four. I promise to put in no effort to ensure that this place is safe for the athletes, I will certainly not investigate the employees' perverse behavior and I will definitely not rearrange the Park's schedule to get the BFB/FF any convenient ice times.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Canada would so work for this!!!!

USCHO posters in Canuck-istan totally has "International Incident" written all over it
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        USCHO posters in Canuck-istan totally has "International Incident" written all over it
                        But the committee doesn't want posters (or anyone else) to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          But the committee doesn't want posters (or anyone else) to attend.
                          Although I think they will smirk behind closed doors at the prospect of the Royal Mounties storming the arena on behalf of terrorist activities.

Comment

I would like to nominate Blyth Arena since it actually was destroyed in the 1980s but if the rink must actually exist now, I nominate the replacement in High Camp, CA since no one will attend, there is no seating for people to watch and you have to take a cable car tramway to get there
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              I would like to nominate Blyth Arena since it actually was destroyed in the 1980s but if the rink must actually exist now, I nominate the replacement in High Camp, CA since no one will attend, there is no seating for people to watch and you have to take a cable car tramway to get there
                              Outdoor rink, probably not going anywhere with the bid process.

Comment

For the West Regional, I suggest Highland Arena in Shoreline, Washington. I have been in my share of dumpy sheds here in Minnesota, but this place took the cake.

http://pics3.city-data.com/businesse.../7/6897937.JPG

I was there once for an evening public skating session, and holy cow that place is something else. Lighting was virtually non-existent. The end facing the street-side windows only had taut netting to keep pucks from sailing out the window. I'm not sure what crawled into the ventilation and died, but the smell was a combination of must, stale beer, and rotting flesh.

Aurora Avenue between Green Lake and the Snohomish County border is a notorious strip of used car dealers, check-cashing parlors, car theft, narcotics, prostitiution hotels, cemeteries, and seedy adult media stores. This article in the Seattle Times explains how North Aurora is clearly Seattle's seedy underbelly. The rink is smack dab in the middle of this strip of shame.

As for hockey indifference? Maybe 100 miles to the north in British Columbia it's alive, but on the Washington side of the fence, no one gives a lick about hockey.

The only potential drawback is that, much like the eastern counterparts of Atlantic City and Lake Placid, greater Seattle is a fantastic place to visit.
                                Better Dead Than Red Beyotches

Comment

Working...
                                X