Tennis anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tennis anyone?

I hope DirecTV will still be able to carry the live feeds of ITV coverage. I like being able to watch a match from start to finish, without a bunch of commercials and inane studio banter. I also like watching matches even if some analyst in Bristol thinks I should be watching ESPN's favorites.

Comment

It's getting late in this tourney and I hadn't noticed any discussion. I may have missed something. Bryans escaped from 5-2 down in the final-set tiebreak tonight. Azarenka-Clijsters going on now.

Comment

Djokovic just defeated Murray in a grueling five-setter and will face Nadal early Sunday morning.

Sharapova-Azarenka is the women's final early tomorrow.

Comment

ESPN was determined to make Novak's girlfriend a star (not that there's anything wrong with that)

*****http://moblog.whmsoft.net/shared_images/en/3034471129_4b9c6b38d2_f71a94aa5fe7afd62cb0837bb65e 48bc.jpg******
          *****http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2011+US+Open+Day+15+7A-RA5vQKCTl.jpg******

Comment

He chose...well.

Comment

Djokovic prevails in a 5 set classic against Nadal.

When Nadal trailed 3-4 / 0-40 in the 4th, I figured he was done - but he fought back, forced a tie-breaker, won that, and led through the 5th set until Djokovic broke him at 5-all.

It actually felt like Nadal would win in the 5th because Djokovic's legs looked dead.

Also, this was the longest major final ever in the open era at 5hrs 53min per ESPN2.

Comment

If you aren't watching Barty v Kvitová you're doing it wrong. Fantastic match so far. Multiple 20+ rally points, two consecutive games that went 16 points each. Barty just won the first set 8-6 in the tiebreak after falling behind 1-3 and saving a set point at 5-6. The first set was a 69 minute marathon. Ash Barty is #1 in the world and seeking to be the first Australian woman in the semis of the Australian Open since 1984.

Comment

I wasn't able to watch past the 3rd set, but Sandgren put up a hell of a fight it looks like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    I wasn't able to watch past the 3rd set, but Sandgren put up a hell of a fight it looks like.
                    Seven match points, including up 3-6 in the fourth set tiebreak and Federer saved them all. It was a walk over in the fifth. Sandgren had nothing left. Federer should have lost in the round of 16. He was down 8-4 in the fifth set tiebreak and then won six consecutive points.

"McCoco" finally lost to the 2 seeds. Don't know anything about McNally, but Coco Gauff is the future of the game. She might be the #1 player in the world before she graduates high school. We're all failures in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      "McCoco" finally lost to the 2 seeds. Don't know anything about McNally, but Coco Gauff is the future of the game. She might be the #1 player in the world before she graduates high school. We're all failures in comparison.
                      By the time Mozart was my age he had been dead for 21 years.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        Seven match points, including up 3-6 in the fourth set tiebreak and Federer saved them all. It was a walk over in the fifth. Sandgren had nothing left. Federer should have lost in the round of 16. He was down 8-4 in the fifth set tiebreak and then won six consecutive points.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she never even wins a grand slam. Lots of fame and money at a young age usually doesn’t turn out well.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          It will be interesting to see what happens. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she never even wins a grand slam. Lots of fame and money at a young age usually doesn’t turn out well.
                          That's true. And she may decide tennis isn't her passion as much as just a way to make money in between doing what she really loves. Current #1 Ash Barty quit tennis a few years ago to play cricket professionally. Serena, Venus, Sharapova etc all have business interests that take time and attention away from tennis. If she had just focused on tennis, Serena might be approaching 30 majors by now.

#15 Wawrinka and #7 Zverev have split the first two sets in the third men's quarterfinal. #1 Nadal plays #5 Thiem at 7:30 tonight Melbourne time (3:30AM this morning eastern time) for the last semifinal berth. Many pros have made pledges for the Australian wildfires, but Zverev is the only one who has said he will donate his entire purse to the cause.

#4 Simona Halep and unseeded Garbine Muguruza won earlier to advance to the women's semifinals. Muguruza is trying to be the first unseeded champion at the Australian Open since...Serena Williams in 2007. Tomorrow's first semifinal will feature #1 Barty against #14 American Sofia Kenin.

Comment

Quite a match. Thiem trailed most of the night but broke back to force a tiebreaker in the first two sets and won them both. After losing the third set 4-6 he took the lead in the fourth set but couldn't close out Nadal. It went to yet another tiebreaker and Thiem had two match points but Rafa saved them both. Then Thiem won the next two points to win 8-6 and advance to the semifinals.

The women's semifinals will be tonight at 10PM ET with the Djokovich-Federer semifinal at 3:30AM. The Thiem-Zverev semifinal will be Friday morning at 3:30.

Comment

The first women's semifinal is in a first set tiebreak. Barty and Kenin are playing a great match in staggering heat. It has been a relatively cool 75-80 all tournament and today it was 95 when they began play.

Comment

It is now over 101 degrees. About 115-120 on the court. The roof will likely be closed before the next match.

Ash Barty had two set points in the first set tiebreaker and Sofia Kenin won the final four points to win 8-6. In the second set, Barty was serving up 5-4 and had two more set points at 40-15 but couldn't close the deal. Kenin fought back, broke serve, won her service game to go up 6-5 and broke again to advance to her first Grand Slam final on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X