Ecac's In Albany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecac's In Albany

By Far If Rpi Union Cornell Got There It Would Be The Biggest Crowd They Have Seen In Albany...........

Lets Hope For That
    I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Re: Ecac's In Albany

I don't want to hope for that.

But going into this week I would predict a Yale/Cornell/Union/SLU foursome which would draw great crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
      I don't want to hope for that.

But going into this week I would predict a Yale/Cornell/Union/SLU foursome which would draw great crowds.
      Yale was in it last year and brought a few hundred fans, maybe.
      SLU is good for bringing parents, girlfriends and a few townies.
      Cornell and Union would draw well.

I'm glad you included at least one of the two teams that cleaned Q's clock this weekend in your tourney handicapping.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        Yale was in it last year and brought a few hundred fans, maybe.
        Cornell and Union would draw well.

I'm glad you included at least one of the two teams that cleaned Q's clock this weekend in your tourney handicapping.
        Nate Leaman has done a gret job at Union and should be coach of the year, but they will not bring many fans to the ECAC tournament no matter where it is held. I don't know why anyone would expect that they would suddenly draw a lot of people when they barely get 1,500 at home.

Cornell, Clarkson and RPI are the only programs in the league that will draw crowds. Union may build a following if they can keep up their winning ways for two or three years. Look at the crowds they draw for football. They regularly draw close to 2,000 a game when the football team is having a good season. The hockey team averages about 1,500 a game. They get up to 2,000-2,200 for RPI and perhaps Cornell, but that is due to the visitors' fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
          Nate Leaman has done a gret job at Union and should be coach of the year, but they will not bring many fans to the ECAC tournament no matter where it is held. I don't know why anyone would expect that they would suddenly draw a lot of people when they barely get 1,500 at home.

Cornell, Clarkson and RPI are the only programs in the league that will draw crowds. Union may build a following if they can keep up their winning ways for two or three years. Look at the crowds they draw for football. They regularly draw close to 2,000 a game when the football team is having a good season. The hockey team averages about 1,500 a game. They get up to 2,000-2,200 for RPI and perhaps Cornell, but that is due to the visitors' fans.
          I know the teams that draw well, I was responding to Wong's list, but thanks. I don't think its a stretch to say Union could bring betw. 1500 and 2,000 fans. No one knows for sure, as they've never been to the dance before. In Hagwell's unfulfilled dream you'd get U plus Cornell and RPI, and another -- then you're looking at close to capacity for the lower bowl.

Leaman is indeed doing an excellent job, but I'm not nearly ready to start handing out end of the year hardware just yet. U has apparently switched back to Milan in goal, and if he stumbles, you're back to the guessing game in net for them.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I can't believe I'm even thinking about this but what the heck. I can't kid myself so I don't see Union drawing a huge following, but I think 1,000 to 1,500 is reasonable. If both RPI and Union made it, I might change my thinking similarly to how Siena and UAlbany draw for hoops, though the TUC wouldn't sell out. If RPI made it without Union I think the attendance with a few of the teams mentioned above would probably still be a record for the tournament in Albany. RPI fans would absolutely eat it up and Hagwell would probably... oh well, nevermind.

Comment

Leaman is indeed doing an excellent job, but I'm not nearly ready to start handing out end of the year hardware just yet. U has apparently switched back to Milan in goal, and if he stumbles, you're back to the guessing game in net for them.
              At the risk of starting a love fest , I agree with Wicked. I'd also have to throw SA into the mix if RPI continues to bring it as they have of late. As far as the goalies are concerned I have heard Leaman say that he would ideally prefer to rotate them. We'll see how that plays out.

Comment

SLU draws well. In Albany an RPI, Union, Cornell, Clarkson draw would be optimal. The move to Atlantic City is going to hurt pretty much everybody, unfortunately, except Princeton and maybe Cornell.

The idea of Cornell owning an entire building for the ECACs is fun... but not if they own it with 4000 people. Might as well play it at Lynah if it comes to that.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  SLU draws well.
                  True.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  In Albany an RPI, Union, Cornell, Clarkson draw would be optimal.
                  True again. (At least in terms of attendance!)

Comment

I think Union would bring a pretty large crowd. Scenectady is only about 20 minutes from Albany, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to guess that at the very least, 2,000 fans would come. They draw 1,500 for a home game, and I assume their qualification would raise a significant buzz, and that the school will provide transportation from campus to get the students there and back.

Speaking from personal experience, when a team puts a good product on the ice, people will go to the games and hop on the bandwagon. This happened to Brown from 02-04, when we were actually good. It wasn't unusual to see over 2,000 fans there for a game against Yale or Dartmouth, for instance, who now we draw at most 1,400 for. I imagine something similar will happen to Union this season if they continue their success, and cannot imagine that those fans wouldn't make a 20 minute roadtrip to see their team in the final four. These aren't Rhode Islanders- 20 minutes isn't a day trip for them.

Comment

i thought y'all were going to AC?!?!!?
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        i thought y'all were going to AC?!?!!?
                        March 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          March 2011.
                          good thing i didn't get that bus ticket yet..
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                            I think Union would bring a pretty large crowd. Scenectady is only about 20 minutes from Albany, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to guess that at the very least, 2,000 fans would come. They draw 1,500 for a home game, and I assume their qualification would raise a significant buzz, and that the school will provide transportation from campus to get the students there and back.

Speaking from personal experience, when a team puts a good product on the ice, people will go to the games and hop on the bandwagon. This happened to Brown from 02-04, when we were actually good. It wasn't unusual to see over 2,000 fans there for a game against Yale or Dartmouth, for instance, who now we draw at most 1,400 for. I imagine something similar will happen to Union this season if they continue their success, and cannot imagine that those fans wouldn't make a 20 minute roadtrip to see their team in the final four. These aren't Rhode Islanders- 20 minutes isn't a day trip for them.
                            Union fans won't drive to Troy for games with RPI and they didn't really turn out all that well for the Governor's Cup games in Albany.

Different circumstances I understand but let's not go saying Union will do their part to pack out the house.
                            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Union students are on break for this year's ECAC tournament and would still be away for the NCAA tourney if Union makes it that far. I believe the break is from 3/18-3/31. Needless to say, spring break plans are currently on hold.
                              LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Working...
                              X