Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMass Amherst @ Boston University 1/2/10

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
    i'm not sure you understand the definition of sour grapes, but he's right. complaining about officiating in a game in which the team you support scored seven times is unbecoming.

I'm well aware of the meaning of sour grapes. His team just got smoked by BU, who has sucked big time this year, and that's all he can come up with? Weak, just weak.

And shouldn't you be laughing along with me? I thought you lived for the flagship's embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
      i'm not sure you understand the definition of sour grapes, but he's right. complaining about officiating in a game in which the team you support scored seven times is unbecoming.
      In fairness, the officiating was the worst I've seen this season.

And Parker seemed more upset with Hockey East in general than that crew in particular. He said that there's no consistency in Hockey East (something I think we can all agree with) because there's no set definition of what a penalty is. Some refs, like last night's, call games very tight, much like NHL refs. Others let a lot go, much like NHL refs pre-lockout. Parker said he'd like to see Hockey East go to the NHL standard, but that right now, only some HE officials use that standard, which is obviously not good.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        And shouldn't you be laughing along with me? I thought you lived for the flagship's embarrassment.
        oh believe me, i watched a good portion of the game with considerable glee, and yes, the officiating was rather bad.

Originally posted by Federal League
        well yes, and the larger point is that if even i'm saying it's unseemly to go around acting like this about a game involving a mortifying loss by umass amherst, then it must be quite unseemly indeed.

but by all means, bu fans continue to mock amherst for this and the bentley loss. i know i will.

Comment

Scarlet, I'm not sure what else I really have to work with here. Just an embarrassing few days of ******-poor hockey by the Minutemen.

Regarding the officials, I don't mind the refs calling the game so tightly, but it the inconsistency that gets me. If your team has to spend the first period figuring out what kind of game they can play, that seems like it might be a tad frustrating.

There were some positive things they called the other night that they don't always get. For example, the Wellman penalty for charging was absolutely the correct call, and that call is missed more often than not.
          Sons of old Massachusetts,
          Devoted daughters true,
          Bay State, old Bay State,
          We'll give our best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post

And Parker seemed more upset with Hockey East in general than that crew in particular. He said that there's no consistency in Hockey East (something I think we can all agree with) because there's no set definition of what a penalty is. Some refs, like last night's, call games very tight, much like NHL refs. Others let a lot go, much like NHL refs pre-lockout. Parker said he'd like to see Hockey East go to the NHL standard, but that right now, only some HE officials use that standard, which is obviously not good.
            I'll play Devil's Advocate (in an attempt to mask ignorance ). In other sports -- most notably baseball -- you hear people say you spend the first part of the game figuring out where this particular ump's strike zone is, and adjust from there. If something close is a ball in the 1st, you don't complain about that same pitch being a ball in the 7th. Is hockey just different? Shouldn't players and coaches have the ability to say, "Looks like they're calling it tight tonight, keep it clean"? Or -- another way of asking -- don't people expect that calls will vary from crew to crew?
            Bugs Bunny - 96
            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

isn't this game over?

didn't our boys win??!?

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Dave, you bring up a valid point, I think. However, MLB pitchers are known to keep voluminous notes on each umpire and how he calls a certain pitch. That speaks to the skill of ML umpires, and their ability to be relatively consistant. I think the main complaint against Hockey East officiating is the lack of consistency, even when you're talking about the same officiating crew in two distinct instances.
                Sons of old Massachusetts,
                Devoted daughters true,
                Bay State, old Bay State,
                We'll give our best to you.

Comment

Working...
                X