Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notre Dame at Miami -- Insert Charlie Wiess hot seat quip here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame at Miami -- Insert Charlie Wiess hot seat quip here.

Notre Dame (7-5-4), 4th in the CCHA, visits Miami (9-2-5), 1st in the CCHA.

Irish off a close win and a shootout loss against BG. Miami coming in after a close loss to Bemidji and a tie against North Dakota. Only a 1-1-4 record in the last 6 though.

Last year Miami swept the Irish in South Bend. The last meeting between the two clubs in Oxford was a split in 07-08.

Camper, Miele, and R Smith are really clicking offensively for the 'Hawks after we had some problem scoring against Ferris.

Re: Notre Dame at Miami -- Insert Charlie Wiess hot seat quip here.

The coach is Weis, by the way. And my sources tell me his seat is no longer hot, because he's already been informed of his dismissal. Anything else muttered by him or AD Jack Swarbrick is merely misdirection.

Miami struggling a bit, Notre Dame coming off a five point weekend.

Despite playing poorly Friday, that's the game they won, although it took all but 2.4 seconds of the OT, a defenseman woefully out of position and ending up very lucky (although with just a handful of seconds left it could simply have been a smart read of the clock, but since I can't read Cole's mind I'm sticking to the out of position theory). They played a little better Saturday, but bad goaltending by Brad Philips and a bit of bad luck during the shootout by Mike Johnson (who replaced Philips late in the game) left them earning just one point.

Who knows which ND team you'll see? The one that occasionally has shown some ability to efficiently move the puck and plays the defense that has become their trademark under Jeff Jackson? Or the one we've seen in probably 2/3 of the games (even a few they have won) that wins by having the better talent. The bad part for ND (or good part for MU) is now they are skating against a team that will match them pretty much line for line talentwise, as well as behind the bench. Only a return to taking care of the puck, wise puck movement, and better efforts from whoever is between the pipes will keep this from being a bad weekend for Notre Dame. I'm not particularly optimistic they choose this weekend to put it together. They did come up with a couple of good efforts against MSU, so who knows?

What are Miami's issues in their current struggles to win games?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
      i know all of us are shocked that in the last six we are 1-1-4. But I guess its not that bad. Split what was basically two road games last weekend against two of the best teams in the country. A 5 point weekend on a long road trip to Western. And a couple ties against Ferris, who honestly I can't get a read on. Against us they got the first goal then sat back and went into instant D mode for the rest of the game, even when it was tied again they were afraid of our transition so kept 4 guys back at all times.

still comes down to we have only lost 2 of our 16 games this season, so might not be performing too poorly.

Comment

Maybe if Charlie Weis had Ben Roethlisberger as his QB instead of Jimmy Clausen his seat might not be "hot"...think about that!
        Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

I was going to make some joke about Weis and Notre Dame but I won't. It's just not fair.

Edit: Well, I mean it's fair, it's just too easy I suppose.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

How is that Mike Haywood hire working out at Miami?

Comment

Quip:
              He's fat. He'll need a very large hot seat.

Comment

Originally posted by NDHockey9 View Post
                Considering he had know talent coming in and it was his first HC position, I think about as expected. Give him a couple years and he'll be fine. Consider that Shane Montgomery destroyed in 2 years all that the Coach Walker and Coach Hoeppner had built up in the previous 15 years.
                Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                  The coach is Weis, by the way. And my sources tell me his seat is no longer hot, because he's already been informed of his dismissal. Anything else muttered by him or AD Jack Swarbrick is merely misdirection.

Miami struggling a bit, Notre Dame coming off a five point weekend.

Despite playing poorly Friday, that's the game they won, although it took all but 2.4 seconds of the OT, a defenseman woefully out of position and ending up very lucky (although with just a handful of seconds left it could simply have been a smart read of the clock, but since I can't read Cole's mind I'm sticking to the out of position theory). They played a little better Saturday, but bad goaltending by Brad Philips and a bit of bad luck during the shootout by Mike Johnson (who replaced Philips late in the game) left them earning just one point.

Who knows which ND team you'll see? The one that occasionally has shown some ability to efficiently move the puck and plays the defense that has become their trademark under Jeff Jackson? Or the one we've seen in probably 2/3 of the games (even a few they have won) that wins by having the better talent. The bad part for ND (or good part for MU) is now they are skating against a team that will match them pretty much line for line talentwise, as well as behind the bench. Only a return to taking care of the puck, wise puck movement, and better efforts from whoever is between the pipes will keep this from being a bad weekend for Notre Dame. I'm not particularly optimistic they choose this weekend to put it together. They did come up with a couple of good efforts against MSU, so who knows?

Miami's issues coming into last weekend was scoring, but they lite the lamp 8 times last weekend. I wouldn't call Miami struggling, they lost their first game in regulation all year last weekend to a very good bemidji team. Yes Miami is 1-1-4 in their last 6 but Ferris is highly underrated and Western got a career performance out of their goaltender to tie Miami. Last weekend they played well and lost a tough battle to bemidji and went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country in their own building, scoring twice to tie it in the third.

To answer your question, my concerns are the special teams. Their Power play hasn't been great all year and their PK (which has been tops in the nation the last 2 years) hasn't played well either. They gave up 3 PP goals last weekend and really hung their goaltender out to dry a couple times. They are taking too many penalties to let up that many opportunities.

This weekend will be another test for Miami, seems like we say that every week, but ND is a lot better than their record or the way they have played at times. I expect a lot of energy out of them and to come out and try and prove something to everyone that they are for real.
                  Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by NDHockey9 View Post
                    Miami has a football team?
                    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                      ND has a football team?
                      FYP.
                      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Weis is no longer on the hot seat...just thought I'd add that
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                          FYP.
                          lol touche...

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            Weis is no longer on the hot seat...just thought I'd add that
                            Sigh, it's probably a good thing for this Irish fan. Besides the fact that the program wasn't doing to well now the next time the Irish visit Agganis I won't have to stand silently as the rest of the student section chants about Charlie's portly stature.
                            Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

just don't steal brian kelly from cincinnati

Comment

Working...
                              X