• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Recruits

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    U maine

Nice post

Fyi, there was talk in LA at draft last week about nhl ast deal involving GC

The kid from AV is a player for sure but not the size CW said from USHR. I get the fact GC is trying to create the image that he is bringing in all big tough, chippy D but tha( is not the case in him or Oleksiak.
    I guess anything is possible. Greg just commited to NU in May for the next four or five years (I forget which) for meaningful $. I suspect that he thrives on hard work. An NHL assistant's job probably wouldn't keep him busy enough. Seriously.

My sub to USHR expired in June and I debating whether or not to renew. They usually get the facts right and are relatively early. However the price of the service has doubled over the last three or four years to something like $132.50/yr. I think there are better values with more and broader coverage.

Glad to see your alma mater doing better. I have a soft spot for the Great State of Maine. In fact I'm writing from my summer "cottage" in Lyman.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
      My sub to USHR expired in June and I debating whether or not to renew. They usually get the facts right and are relatively early. However the price of the service has doubled over the last three or four years to something like $132.50/yr. I think there are better values with more and broader coverage.
      To Ryecheers and Hokydad:
      Given the range of subscription rates for the various scouting publications:
      The Scouting News - $149.99 per year
      rivals.com/collegehockey247.com - $99.95
      USHR - $132.50
      which has the best information (timely, accurate, etc.) for the money?

Also, what do you think of the free scouting sites (e.g. nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com)?
      Thanks.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        USHR - $132.50

Also, what do you think of the free scouting sites (e.g. nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com)?
        Thanks.
        I've been meaning to take the trial offer for Rivals. They do a big job on football and hoops. The hockey service is new, but it has good genes.

As blogs go, WesternCollegeHockey.com is well designed and well written. It's focus is strictly CCHA and WCHA as well as upper Midwest HS hockey and the USHL. The author barely acknowleges the existence of HEA or ECAC,

Since your handle commemorates UNH hockey royalty, you want to explore the many blogs and free broadcasts done by supporters of the BCJHL where so many of today's Wildcats come from. The USHL has a similar, but less mature network.

The coaches I know have little use for the scouting comments and rankings in USHR. It may be that those comments are based on cursory observations + reputations and scoring in a particular tournament. The coaches OTOH have much more extensive lists of qualities that are important to them.

I have a group of interesting sites on my home computer. I'll try to get them to you in a few days when I return.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
          USHR - $132.50

Thanks.
          Scouting news and rivals are both heavily influened by parents. I wouldnt pay for either or.
          Both are also spread out to thin. If I picked either or, it would be rivals.

USHR tends to be more specific and keeps good updates. CW tries hard to pass on good info and outside the box a hair, can at times though be a rag and favor ex players kids. All in all, very good. You get as much info on here as you do some of the sites.

Comment

I've been meaning to take the trial offer for Rivals. They do a big job on football and hoops. The hockey service is new, but it has good genes.

As blogs go, WesternCollegeHockey.com is well designed and well written. It's focus is strictly CCHA and WCHA as well as upper Midwest HS hockey and the USHL. The author barely acknowleges the existence of HEA or ECAC,

Since your handle commemorates UNH hockey royalty, you want to explore the many blogs and free broadcasts done by supporters of the BCJHL where so many of today's Wildcats come from. The USHL has a similar, but less mature network.

The coaches I know have little use for the scouting comments and rankings in USHR. It may be that those comments are based on cursory observations + reputations and scoring in a particular tournament. The coaches OTOH have much more extensive lists of qualities that are important to them.

I have a group of interesting sites on my home computer. I'll try to get them to you in a few days when I return.
            Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            Scouting news and rivals are both heavily influened by parents. I wouldnt pay for either or.
            Both are also spread out to thin. If I picked either or, it would be rivals.

USHR tends to be more specific and keeps good updates. CW tries hard to pass on good info and outside the box a hair, can at times though be a rag and favor ex players kids. All in all, very good. You get as much info on here as you do some of the sites.
            Much obliged. Enjoy the holiday weekend.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I guess anything is possible. Greg just commited to NU in May for the next four or five years (I forget which) for meaningful $. I suspect that he thrives on hard work. An NHL assistant's job probably wouldn't keep him busy enough. Seriously.

Glad to see your alma mater doing better. I have a soft spot for the Great State of Maine. In fact I'm writing from my summer "cottage" in Lyman.
              Everyone should go to Maine in the summer we have a couple of houses in Ogunquit. Could never live in Maine, that state has one of the higest tax rates in the country.(every other person works for the government, federal, state or local).Save your money i just signed up for USHR.

Comment

I really think Northeastern is going to be a dark horse in Hockey East this year! They're quietly returning an effective group of players, and will be especially tough at home.

Thiessen is a tough act to follow, but in a league where Foster is gone, Darling is gone, Lowell and UMass were both mauled with departures and graduations: I think Rawlings will keep them very competitive!

Good luck, Huskies!
                Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by roma View Post
                  Everyone should go to Maine in the summer we have a couple of houses in Ogunquit. Could never live in Maine, that state has one of the higest tax rates in the country.(every other person works for the government, federal, state or local).Save your money i just signed up for USHR.
                  Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps I'll take a trial to Rivals instead. I bet our friends at DHD would appreciate it if you were to "exerpt" the article about the two future Ds and drop it into a post.

Why do you suppose we are stockpiling lefthanded defensmen?

Comment

Zak Stone was invited to the Islanders development camp. Nice to see another player getting some more training.

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Recruits

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                      Zak Stone was invited to the Islanders development camp. Nice to see another player getting some more training.
                      That's good to hear. It's also very convenient. He lives in Roslyn, which is a reasonable bike ride from the Islanders home ice. I wonder if the islanders know that Zak and his dad are (or were) rabid Ranger fans.

Comment

From USHR;Select 17 Festival (93 Birthdates) Rochester NY.
                        Forwards:
                        1. John Gaudreau (#9 Kelly Green) 5-7/140 - 5-7-12 - Gaudreau was the show here. Great hands, great moves, and superb creativity. Really strong on the puck, never gives up on plays. Creates offense out of nothing. Hard to hit, sneaky. Ectomorph Supremo. Heading to Dubuque (USHL), and then Northeastern.

Comment

From USHR;Select 17 Festival (93 Birthdates) Rochester NY.
                          Forwards:
                          1. John Gaudreau (#9 Kelly Green) 5-7/140 - 5-7-12 - Gaudreau was the show here. Great hands, great moves, and superb creativity. Really strong on the puck, never gives up on plays. Creates offense out of nothing. Hard to hit, sneaky. Ectomorph Supremo. Heading to Dubuque (USHL), and then Northeastern.
                          He was the top forward in the entire event? That's pretty impressive, and hopefully it'll bode well for us.

Also nice to see him with the USA U-18 in August in the Czech Republic.
                          Last edited by GoNU5; 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                            He was the top forward in the entire event? That's pretty impressive, and hopefullt it'll bode well for us.

Also nice to see him with the USA U-18 in August in the Czech Republic.
                            They have him listed as #1 out of 40 forwards.
                            Could he be NU's answer to Nathan Gerbe???

Comment

They have him listed as #1 out of 40 forwards.
                              Could he be NU's answer to Nathan Gerbe???
                              This sounds promising, now hopefully he lands at NU and no major junior teams swoop in and grab him from us
                              Arenas Attended
                              Matthews Arena
                              Agganis Arena
                              Tsongas Arena
                              Lawler Arena
                              Schneider Arena
                              Mullins Center
                              TD Banknorth Garden
                              Conte Forum
                              Whittemore Center
                              Gutterson Fieldhouse
                              Alfond Arena
                              Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

someone on dhd brought this up, mitch macmillan is off of the roster page, did he uncommit?
                                Arenas Attended
                                Matthews Arena
                                Agganis Arena
                                Tsongas Arena
                                Lawler Arena
                                Schneider Arena
                                Mullins Center
                                TD Banknorth Garden
                                Conte Forum
                                Whittemore Center
                                Gutterson Fieldhouse
                                Alfond Arena