Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/15-10/16 UNH vs. Miami (OH-No!): Reborn from the ashes

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post

(9) I never noticed it before tonight but when Coach Umile whistles for a line change, the Miami team occasionally tried to take advantage by skating behind the UNH players as they were leaving the ice. It's like Coach is telegraphing his next move.
    I have been to a talk where Umile said the whistle is not intended to be line change now. It is line change next time it makes sense. Tonight I did notice there were time where it was translated as line change right now with at least three guys turning hard to head to the bench. Other times 2 forwards would stay out with the line change behind and then hit the bench shortly after.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDan View Post
      For what it matters: Miami takes game 1 - lopsided. Game 2 a tie.
      UNH is too good to sweep back to back at home.
      Wow, good call.

From afar, sounds like UNH played with some heart this weekend, and that is all that I ask at this point in the season. Good to have Kessel back, but hope that LeBlanc is ok.

Comment

I have to be honest and say that, after the first period last night, I was trying to figure which teams in HE UNH could be better than - Providence (beat Notre Dame), Merrimack (lost narrowly to UND). I was straining for some positives. Up to that point, all I had seen was shoddy defensive play, a PP that can't even get set up in the zone, and too much individualism by the forwards. But then came the second period when the goals came fast and furious, almost like the old ECAC days. The defense worked hard, the PP was clicking and crowd was electric. That gave me some hope that there is something to build on, but we do have to be realistic.
        On defense, Kessel is outstanding and I saw some glimmers that Campanale might be okay, but beyond that? I'd like to know if Kostolansky is better than Beck at this point. At least try and see what he can do. Up front, I'm still not sold that we are going to get much out of our senior forwards. Butler has a goal in every game so far, but can he quit with the fist pumps every time he scores, please? That's like some ball player standing at home plate watching his homer go over the fence when his team is down by five runs. LeBlanc (I think he just had huge cramp) was way too individual in his play, at least on Friday night. One of my great fears this year is that, when the team gets down, too many of the guys who have some skills (LeBlanc, Butler, Moses, Sislo), will try to do too much themselves rather than sticking with the team concept. I hope they realize that no one on the team is good enough to take the game over by themselves. In goal, Umile told me last week that Foster would have to play "above average" in the early part of the year to bail out some of the mistakes an inexperienced defense is going to make. Can't say Foster lived up to expectations this weekend (5.50 gaa). He is going to have to play better, no question.
        There were some positives last night (none on Friday), that they can take away and build on this coming week. Neither NU or Maine is part of the iron in the league, they are playing both at home, so I'd like to think they can win both. The message should be - play smart, stick with the program, take advantage of your opportunities and don't give your opponent any. Two wins in league play should result, at least let's hope so.
        Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
          Just got home from the game - the ride home doesn't get any shorter.

A couple of quick observations from my first look at the 09-10 Wildcats:

(1) Looks to be a breakout season for Steve Moses. He's getting a ton of icetime - much deserved and much as many of us had hoped.

(2) Mighty mite Borisenok was a blast to watch.

(3) Campanale looked good - he carried the puck out of the zone pretty effectively (I sure miss Kevin Kapstad).

(4) I think Connor Hardowa may be a pleasant surprise. He played his man effectively all night and was effective at taking the body and controlling the puck.

(5) Desimone is still an enigma. He's amazing at controlling the puck and keeping it away from the opposition - he just doesn't make many effective plays. His linemates seem to watch him and can't figure out what kind of play he is trying to make.

(6) Kessel is showing amazing poise for a young sophomore.

(7) Anyone know the story on Peter Leblanc's injury? When he was assisted/carried off the ice, his left leg was just dangling - didn't look good.

(8) As JB noted, the team seemed to loosen up in the second period and I say they played the #1 team in the nation pretty even.

(9) I never noticed it before tonight but when Coach Umile whistles for a line change, the Miami team occasionally tried to take advantage by skating behind the UNH players as they were leaving the ice. It's like Coach is telegraphing his next move.

Of course I can't speak for you, but since you listed 9 observations I will chime in and round it to 10.

(10) Austin Block exhibited a tireless motor. Seems to have coaches confidence noted by one PP Friday night where he manned the point in a 4F, 1D PP unit. Reminded me of BU's use of Chris Bourque on PP.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDan View Post
            (10) Austin Block exhibited a tireless motor. Seems to have coaches confidence noted by one PP Friday night where he manned the point in a 4F, 1D PP unit. Reminded me of BU's use of Chris Bourque on PP.
            Now that you mention it, I remember seeing a lot of the #3 jersey tenaciously forechecking and banging opposing defensemen into the endboards. Next weekend, I'll pay more attention to this Block youngster.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
            X