Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Oh boy. I feel bad for Brad Phillips. Not because the team didn't help him out. Not because the refs gave OSU too many man-up opportunities. Not because he's still not 100%. None of that is the case. I feel bad because I don't want him in net anymore, and I'm not alone. I feel bad because he lost a year of development. I feel bad because there's a lot of pressure to fill Jordan Pearce's skates; a job he was expected to do effortlessly. A pressure that Mike Johnson doesn't have.

Every puck that found its way past him tonight was weak. Notre Dame should have won this game 2-1 at worst, 2-0 at best. Phillips was slow from post to post. His 5 hole is not huge, but he's extremely slow closing it. And don't even get me started on that 2nd OSU goal with 15 minutes left.

I think the position should be Johnson's until he proves that he doesn't deserve it anymore.

Okay. Witch hunt over.

On the plus side, the PP was great this weekend at 33%. Riley Sheahan had a fantastic game. Nick Larson and Kevin Nugent each had some nice plays with the puck. All in all, the freshman class is coming along quite nicely.

Shake off this lost opportunity, boys, and get ready for Alaska.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Come on guys lets get our act together....

on a more "serious note" some of us still got to go trick or treating and dress up.....

Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

I have to agree with the sentiment of JJfP regarding Brad Phillips. I don't think he was awful tonight, but he definitely could have been better, and I have a strong feeling that there was more talent sitting on the bench. It's not the only problem the team has right now, but it didn't help tonight.
        My biggest kudos of the night go to Kyle Lawson who really showed great focus (.....and the guys in the banana suit and the astronaut outfit who violated every OSU player who ended up in the box, and the guy dressed as the blind linesman!)
        Time for the Irish to get their game cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
          on a more "serious note" some of us still got to go trick or treating and dress up.....

Nice. We had three of the girls in our section dress up as blind refs. Doesn't make as much sense now with the two-ref system, but hey.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            Oh boy. I feel bad for Brad Phillips...
            ...Every puck that found its way past him tonight was weak...
            ...I think the position should be Johnson's until he proves that he doesn't deserve it anymore.
            I'd have to agree. Philips is just off right now for some reason. Is it the injury? We've seen guys come back from similar injuries before and while they may be playing, they don't always look like they did before they got hurt.

The first OSU goal looked like a lot of the goals he's given up this year. That it came so late in the period hurt even more. The second goal was a real head scratcher, as Dalpe skated into the zone basically 1-on-three and managed to sneak the shot by Philips. He was just throwing the puck on the net. It never should have gone in. In the shootout it looked as if he had no chance on the two OSU goals, and the second shooter actually never got the shot off because the puck rolled off his stick as he made one move too many.

What troubles me most about this team and its struggles is that all 4 of the games they've failed to win, the deciding goals have been third period tallies. Jackson's remark "it almost looked like we were a little tired" seems to be the understatement of the year. Almost? This team has shown a third period lethargy quite a few times this year. Why? I still don't see indifference on their part. These guys appear troubled by their start and are hardly just going through the motions. But they are getting outworked late in games and losing battles at times and in places they almost never did in the last few years. What's scary is one would think that after the season starts is hardly the time to work on conditioning.

Maybe it is just the goaltending. If that's the case -- and I'm not sure it is -- while difficult for Brad Philips, it is easy to fix. Mike Johnson has acquitted himself quite nicely in his first two college starts, and by all appearances it looks like he's earned the number one spot for the time being. If not, this season could be a frustrating 6 months for Notre Dame hockey.

Comment

New week. New opponent. New worries.

What? Worries?

For the first time in a loooong time, I'm actually worried about the outcome this weekend. For several years now, I've been confident (arrogant?) enough to believe ND could (and quite often did) beat their opponent.

UA(F) is unbeaten so far. They haven't lost a game. In fact, in not losing, they've almost not even been scored on. One of those not-scored-on-at-all games was against the typically potent Michigan. The 2nd period is their favorite since they've scored more than half of their goals in that stanza alone. The 'nooks are 5-0-1 with a GF of 3.0/game and a GA of 1.17/game. Let me reiterate. One point one seven.

Their PP is a robust 22.9% and their PK is extremely solid at 91.3%. They take very few penalties a game. 4.17 penalties/game to be exact. In this league.

Their studs include Dion Knelson (7 points) and Andy Taranto and Joe Sova (6 points each). Sova and Taranto are their go-to guys on the PP. Almost the entire roster has at least one point. In fact, of the 22 players on their roster, only 2 have not registered a point yet. And, no, their goalie is not one of those 2! Only 2 of their top 10 scorers are upperclassmen, so that bodes well for them in the future.

Sophomore Scott Greenham has been in net for them all season, so there's no reason to believe they would change that horse mid-stream. He's 5-0-1 with a virtually imperceptible GA of 1.14 and a save % of .949.

It's not like ND's numbers are pathetic. It's just that UA(F)'s are awesome. ND is 4-3-1 while scoring a rather skinny 2.38 goals/game but giving up an even skinnier 1.62 goals/game.

ND's PP is also good, firing at 20%. Their PK dipped below 90% with this past weekend's special teams feast for all. It's now at 88.1%. ND averages 6.25 penalties/game (still thanks to those majors and misconducts). That number will drop a bit more before the season is in the books.

Ben Ryan is ND's leader on the scoresheet. He has 8 points thus far. He's followed by Kyle Lawson, Kevin Deeth, Calle Ridderwall and Billy Maday (each with 6 points). Ridderwall (3) and Riley Sheahan (2) are leaders in the PPG category. A bit more than half of ND's roster has at least a point. Only 3 of ND's top 10 scorers are underclassmen.

Coach Jackson will likely use Brad Phillips one night and Mike Johnson the other. Phillips is 1-3-1 with a GA of 2.18 and a save % of .923. Not bad, but unfortunately the skaters in front of him can barely muster more than 2 goals for in a game. Johnson is 2-0 with a GA of .5 and a save % of .982. I think this weekend will be the final test for the #1 goalie spot. Here's to a tough time making the decision.

When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of 2 characters--one represents danger and the other represents opportunity.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

In case anyone was wondering, Brock Sheahan is now with Mark Van Guilder's old team, Cincinnati. He's played in 6 games and has 2 points and is a +3. Speaking of Mark Van Guilder, he's with the Milwaukee Admirals up in the AHL now. He's played in 7 of their games and is even in +/- with 2 points. Luke Lucyk is in the CHL with the Texas Brahmas, playing in 6 games so far and is +1. Jordan Pearce is, like Sheahan, with an Ohio-based ECHL team. Pearce is in Toledo and has appeared in 3 games, is 2-1 with a GA of 4.67. Erik Condra has played in all 11 games with the Binghamton Senators. He's got 5 points and is -3. Christian Hanson is tearing it up with the Toronto Marlies, also in the AHL. He's played in all 10 games and has 10 points and is +2.

Now back to our regularly scheduled current ND team...

Comment

I know the Alaska game you can listen to it on line but what time? It says 7:05 Alaska time... what time is that here? and will it be on the radio and what station if it is?

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                    I know the Alaska game you can listen to it on line but what time? It says 7:05 Alaska time... what time is that here? and will it be on the radio and what station if it is?
                    11:00 South Bend time. It's on the regular station (99.9) and the Internet. You can pay to watch each game (I think it's a league video feed), but I like free, especially if I may fall asleep before the end!

Comment

Alaska trip blogging...

http://www.catcountry999.com/include...blog&blog_id=2

Comment

Originally posted by NDHockey9 View Post
                        very cool...thanks...

Comment

Now this game had flow. ND took only 2 penalties while UA(F) took 3 (although both teams had some no calls). Fortunately, ND was able to capitalize on their chances, scoring 2 PPG's, one off the stick of Ryan Thang.

Nice to see Mike Johnson tested and pass. He made 2 fantastic saves on breakaways. He ended the game with 35 saves. The flipside was that ND took only 1 shot to UA(F)'s 16 in the 3rd, and had a total of only 15 on the night while handing UA(F)'s Scott Greenham his first career loss (and the team's first loss of the season).

Both teams had some sloppy play in their defensive zones, but none of that came back to haunt either team. UA(F) has some speedy guns. They had some amazing chances, but managed to send the puck high or wide on several occasions, including with about 3 seconds left. They are missing some of their better players, so I shudder to think how this may have turned out had they been 100% healthy...

Hopefully ND will take more shots tomorrow night. And, man would I kill to see a few freshmen get back on the scoresheet...

Comment

Way to go boys! While listening to the game did anyone else hear the sponge bob theme song playing? My son started singing it when he heard it.

And I must say listening to the game on the radio sucks! Definitely need to be there.... not that I can afford the plane ticket and everything else but you know the radio just isn't the same. And definitely miss ML....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

They are missing some of their better players, so I shudder to think how this may have turned out had they been 100% healthy...
                              Don't forget we are missing one of our top 3 d-men and basically they have played most games regularly skating just 4, rotating Cole, Lawson, Blatch, and Lorenz. Defensively and on the PK are where the struggles look to be most noticeable and it was good to see Johnson come up so big once again. Especially in a third period where the 'Nooks looked to b loaded for bear. Missing Teddy Ruth has been a big reason the team hasn't always looked gelled on the ice.

Once again we see the importance of the power play to the success of the Irish. In the 6 games they did not lose, its clicked at 25%. 6 for 15 during the current 3 game unbeaten streak. 3 games with PP results against 2 teams I think play very capably a man down.

We'll have to see how the goaltender situation unfolds. In Jackson's first year he stuck with David Brown and patiently waited for him to regain the form he showed as a Freshman. Even with an obviously talented Jordan Pearce waiting in the wings. That loyalty paid off for Notre Dame the following season in a pretty big way. Brown grew up as a player and a person in 2005/06 and was nearly unbeatable as a senior. But that was with a team learning to win, learning Jackson's systems, learning all sorts of things it took to compete. Expectations are sky-high now for this program and can he afford to wait for the presumed preseason number one to come into form? I think Philips is starting tonight (although my RADAR has been off a couple of times this season reading Jackson when it comes to his starting goalie tea leaves) and I think it was prearranged. Hopefully he plays well. Maybe we'll even start to see a good old fashioned goalie tandem. There could be worse things than having two netminders equally capable of winning. (of course that's provided they both win )

Mentally the boys need a win tonight. It could go a long way to cementing some consistency to their game. They started the season loss-win, loss-win. Then followed it with win-loss, win-shootout loss. Here's to getting back to playing better and getting better results in the second game. A sweep up here against a previously unbeaten team would be big. Play focused. Play smart. Play YOUR game.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                                Don't forget we are missing one of our top 3 d-men and basically they have played most games regularly skating just 4, rotating Cole, Lawson, Blatch, and Lorenz. Defensively and on the PK are where the struggles look to be most noticeable...
                                I'm thinking more along the lines of struggles offensively. Coming into tonight's game, ND is averaging just 2.44 G/game.

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan
                                I think Philips is starting tonight (although my RADAR has been off a couple of times this season reading Jackson when it comes to his starting goalie tea leaves) and I think it was prearranged.
                                The UA(F) play-by-play guy confirms your guess based on the pre-game luncheon interview from Friday.

I still look at numbers and shake my head though. Mike Johnson: 3-0 with a GA of 1.0 and a save % of .968. Brad Phillips: 1-3-1 with a GA of 2.18 and a save % of .923. Team in front of Johnson: 3-0 while scoring 2.67/game and giving up 1.0/game. Team in front of Phillips: 1-3-1 while scoring 1.8/game and giving up 2.2/game.

Please, please, please win tonight, Irish.

Comment

Working...
                                X