Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

TSN is reporting the Maple Leafs have assigned Christian Hanson to the AHL Marlies.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

The positives from this can be that he made it to the last day before being cut, he'll get to keep his bachelor pad in Toronto and he'll get to play against Erik Condra.

I think few college guys make it straight to the NHL without making a stop here and there in the minors. It took Mark Eaton several false starts before he made it stick with the Pens.

I'll still wear my #20 Hanson Leafs jersey as often as I can!
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        The positives from this can be that he made it to the last day before being cut, he'll get to keep his bachelor pad in Toronto and he'll get to play against Erik Condra.

I think few college guys make it straight to the NHL without making a stop here and there in the minors. It took Mark Eaton several false starts before he made it stick with the Pens.

I'll still wear my #20 Hanson Leafs jersey as often as I can!
        Agreed, this is not a setback; it's par for the course. The only reasons Hanson finished 08-09 with the big club is because the Leafs were out of it, and Burke likely promised him playing time in order to get him to sign. This is not a demotion.

The best comparison may Justin Abdelkader. After the Irish knocked out the Spartans, Abdelkader finished the season with the Red Wings, but played almost all of 08-09 in Grand Rapids, before rejoining the Wings in time for the playoffs.
        Notre Dame Hockey
        Reigning Big Ten Champions
        Reigning CCHA Champions
        Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
          Agreed, this is not a setback; it's par for the course. The only reasons Hanson finished 08-09 with the big club is because the Leafs were out of it, and Burke likely promised him playing time in order to get him to sign. This is not a demotion.

The best comparison may Justin Abdelkader. After the Irish knocked out the Spartans, Abdelkader finished the season with the Red Wings, but played almost all of 08-09 in Grand Rapids, before rejoining the Wings in time for the playoffs.
          Agreed 100%. I suspect that Christian will be one of the first call-ups if someone on the big squad (likely Jiri Tulusty) doesn't produce out of the gate.

Comment

don't know if you folks saw this.

While I am still not a fan of a shootout to decide games, a 3-2-1-0 scoring system is a much better way to go.

And when it comes to the NCAA-AHL-NHL merry-go-round, don't forget it took Lebda a full season in the AHL to even get his look with the big club, and even then it took another half a season before he was basically up for good. I think a lot of that is getting the player used to the grind of an 80 game schedule as much as anything. Even with minor league seasoning, most NHL rookies seem to hit a wall by the time April rolls around and that plays a large part in the fact that rookies almost never seem to be a factor in the NHL playoffs. Lets face it, at the start of Hanson's Junior year did any of us think he was an NHL forward? Now he's got a very realistic chance at not only playing in the NHL, but carving out a nice career doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
              don't know if you folks saw this.

While I am still not a fan of a shootout to decide games, a 3-2-1-0 scoring system is a much better way to go.
              3-2-1-0 is a much better way to go. Not as good as the old HEA's 5-3-2-0, but a much needed improvement. It makes all games worth the same amount of points and gets rid of the silly extra point for tied games. Consider this:
              Michigan and Miami tied for second place last season; the Wolverines would have held a seven-point advantage over the RedHawks under the new format.
              Miami was perfect in their shootouts, while Michigan won or lost all their CCHA games in regulation.
              Notre Dame Hockey
              Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                Consider this:
                Miami was perfect in their shootouts, while Michigan won or lost all their CCHA games in regulation.
                Notre Dame was the only team to win all the shootouts they participated in last season. Miami, IIRC, won 50% of theirs.

Originally posted by ND Hockey
                While I did not like him as a Spartan, I love him as a Wing. However, I think he has gotten rooked by the Red Wings, who notoriously take forever to bring guys up. Had he stayed and played in the finals instead of Kris Draper, I think those last 3 games may have turned out differently.

Season ticket holders can buy tix to the regionals before going on sale to the public (Oct. 1).

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I dunno where the Miami being perfect thing came from, we were .500 at best.

This new system really rewards the top end teams of the league (ND, Mich, Miami...) and just made it that much harder for the borderline clubs to crack the top 4 that our teams have had a stranglehold on for the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    Even with minor league seasoning, most NHL rookies seem to hit a wall by the time April rolls around and that plays a large part in the fact that rookies almost never seem to be a factor in the NHL playoffs. Lets face it, at the start of Hanson's Junior year did any of us think he was an NHL forward? Now he's got a very realistic chance at not only playing in the NHL, but carving out a nice career doing it.
                    Better for Christian to be playing every night in the AHL than being a healthy scratch every night for the Leafs.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                      I dunno where the Miami being perfect thing came from, we were .500 at best.
                      Miami was 2-2 last year. The quote from the USCHO article is incorrect, and led me to my false assumption.
                      Notre Dame Hockey
                      Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Irish ranked #5 in the pre season USA Today / US Hockey Magazine poll.

1. Miami (4)
                        2. Denver (13)
                        3. Boston University (12)
                        4. Michigan
                        5. Notre Dame (5)
                        6. Minnesota
                        7. Cornell
                        8. North Dakota
                        9. Princeton
                        10. UMass-Lowell
                        11. Yale
                        12. Boston College

We play 9 of 36 regular season games versus top 12. (If my count is right and Im counting NDakota as an oppt in Chicago.)

Comment

ND has 4 guys on the CCHA preseason all-conference teams. Ian Cole made 1st team. Calle Ridderwall, Billy Maday and Kyle Lawson made 2nd team.

On a more p155ed off note...Am I the only season ticket holder who has not, for some unknown reason, received their tickets yet? This is why I'm a misanthrope. People just screw stuff up.

Comment

It seems like the CCHA is daring the seniors to have big years. Aside from Kyle Lawson on the All-CCHA 2nd Team, all the respect is being given to youngsters. Two Rookie of the Year candidates. Thang honorable mention, no Deeth?

I would imagine those seniors are going to be mighty hungry this season!

Comment

The CCHA is springing to life, as is ND and their website. ND was picked 2nd by the media and coaches pre-season poll for the league. Thang, Deeth, Lawson and Ruth will wear the letters on their sweaters this season, with Thang getting the 'C'. And I got my season tix today. All's right with the world again.

Originally posted by grantfan
                              I would imagine those seniors are going to be mighty hungry this season!
                              Here's to appeasing their appetite!

Comment

Ah its good to be back my friends. A long off season and there is still the bitter taste in my mouth from Grand Rapids. A few questions: How is going to be in goal this year? I think a lot depends on that. I really didnt like what i saw in limited action from Tommy last year and Jordies shoes are pretty big to fill. Secondly when is the appx opening date for our new arena? I cant wait to see. it.

Side Note: My season tickets got moved. I am now in row one of section 3. Any of you guys down that way?
                                TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Working...
                                X