WCHA Coaches Salaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Coaches Salaries

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post lists the salaries and length of contracts of WCHA coaches in his blog today. No mention if Mike Eaves gets a bonus every time he cuts a player on scholarship & saves Wisconsin money.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...st-paid-coach/
    Last edited by dggoddard; 07-17-2009, 10:32 PM.

Re: WCHA Coaches Salaries

At least for the usual bottom five teams, it's noticeable how they correlate to standings.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      Mike Chambers of the Denver Post lists the salaries and length of contracts of WCHA coaches in his blog today. No mention if Mike Eaves gets a bonus every time he cuts a player on scholarship & saves Wisconsin money.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...st-paid-coach/
      I wonder how these numbers compare to the other conferences?
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
        I wonder how these numbers compare to the other conferences?
        The WCHA would have the highest average salaries.

The top coaches throughout the NCAA probably make above or around $200,000, everyone else probably makes $70,000-$130,000.

I'd guess that the biggest difference between the WCHA and the other conferences is what the top assistants make. Also WCHA schools would have more support staff and people who answer to the hockey coach. Almost certainly WCHA schools would have the largest budgets for everything from travel to hockey sticks.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Salary is just a part of the story - there may be performance bonuses, hockey camp income, TV/radio show income and other perks like country club memberships, paid car, etc. The compensation packages may be larger than how they appear in Mike's Blog...

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            Salary is just a part of the story - there may be performance bonuses, hockey camp income, TV/radio show income and other perks like country club memberships, paid car, etc. The compensation packages may be larger than how they appear in Mike's Blog...
            Good point.

Plus some of the coaches have their kids college tuition paid for or subsidized which is a pretty good chunk of change. Its also tax free, which is a huge bonus.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 07-17-2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I can pretty much guarantee you Lucia makes the biggest compensation package in the conference when you throw in the media, camps, etc.
              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

No real surprises or head-scratchers on that list, either with someone getting paid more or less than you'd think. And I'd assume that Owens is probably somewhere between Hakstol and Motzko.
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Hmm. I always assumed Gwoz had the highest salary of all WCHA coaches, but I'm a bit shocked he isn't making significantly more.
                  Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    Hmm. I always assumed Gwoz had the highest salary of all WCHA coaches, but I'm a bit shocked he isn't making significantly more.
                    He would make more but he gets too many fines for being a cheat and a effeminate dasher dancer...

Comment

Red Berenson (Michigan) makes $190,000.

Comment

Wonder what Dean Blais in the soon to be WCHA UNO makes

Comment

Originally posted by SkimeySalamander View Post
                          Red Berenson (Michigan) makes $190,000.
                          That might be his salary from Michigan, but he makes a helluva lot more than that from the other aspects of the program. I read something a few years ago where they published what Michigan and Michigan State's coaches made. I remember Red making over $700K, everything all-in, and a few dollars more than then-basketball coach Tommy Amaker.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Toot Cahoon makes a bit over $200K, while Blaise MacDonald makes ~$175K.

Contrast this to the incoming coach at Brown who will make a paltry ~$85,000. I also remember when Mark Mazzolini left Harvard from Green Bay (USHL), he got a pay raise.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The University of Minnesota newspaper actually posted the top 100 salaries for the entire university system this past year. The article was written back on Dec. 8, 2008, but it looks more current (with respect to Lucia's earnings) than the article from the Denver Post.

Here's the link: http://www.mndaily.com/2008/12/08/10...largely-admins
                              The link within the first sentence takes you to the actual list.

Here are the highlights:

Lucia: $241,196
                              Tubby Smith: $630,000
                              Tim Brewster: $408,000

Kinda funny, huh? If you went by this info you'd have to think that the U of M values football and basketball more than hockey ... of course, we all know better.

Comment

Working...
                              X