Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 11th Part: Suck It Up And Die Grandpa I Need A Manicure!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covfefe-19 The 11th Part: Suck It Up And Die Grandpa I Need A Manicure!!

Oh and Chuck, about those employment numbers that Wall Street got so giddy over...

MPR News
    @MPRnews
    The Labor Department admitted that government household survey-takers mistakenly counted about 4.9 million temporarily laid-off people as employed. The government doesn't correct its survey results for fear of the appearance of political manipulation.

Meaning, we actually lost another 3 million jobs. Yep, definitely going to be a "V" shaped recovery...

Comment

That's awesome Kep....

Comment

Added to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Please. Do not. Quote. The derp.

Yes, if you are bored, or if you feel you must, reply to it. But please don't make those of us who in good conscience have removed it from existence have to look at it anyway.
          Yes, just ignore the trolls.

Boss took the crew out for lunch at my favorite brewpub in town yesterday after work. I passed, and went home. As much as lunch and beers on the boss would have been nice.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
            Oh and Chuck, about those employment numbers that Wall Street got so giddy over...

MPR News
            @MPRnews
            The Labor Department admitted that government household survey-takers mistakenly counted about 4.9 million temporarily laid-off people as employed. The government doesn't correct its survey results for fear of the appearance of political manipulation.

Meaning, we actually lost another 3 million jobs. Yep, definitely going to be a "V" shaped recovery...
            Two months in a row, actually.

Please tell me that Obama isn't manipulating the unemployment numbers to look better than they really are. What are the U16 numbers?

Comment

Seems pretty spot on, must just by the way people tick.

https://humanprogress.org/article.php?p=1084

Comment

Please Jeb, enlighten us on which specific points I made that you disagree with and why, as well as include links to where you get your info. As for staying in my basement, considering I have two kids with significant underlying health issues, as well as a father in his late 70's that just finished chemo 5 months ago (proclaimed clean by Mayo thankfully) so yes, I'm being extremely careful not to go out unless it's absolutely necessary and when I do I'm wearing a mask as every agency/expert (with the exception of Michael Olsterholm) has recommended. I choose to listen to doctors and scientists over your gut/perceptions.
                Best to you and your family and taking precautions that make the most sense.

I was referring to locking down healthy people. It’s absurd.

As far as the CDC their handling of previous outbreaks in the 2000s is concerning to say the least.

And their integrity is very questionable.
                https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/301432-the-cdc-is-being-being-influenced-by-corporate-and-political%3famp

Reminds me of this.

“Mix medicine and healthcare with government and they both become political weapons. You get the political COVID debacle and a total disaster in care. You get bankrupt hospitals. You get the quarantining of healthy people. You get 40 million unemployed. You get a multiplication of problems that will reverberate through the years.”
                Last edited by Jeb2020; 06-06-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Please Jeb, enlighten us on which specific points I made that you disagree with and why, as well as include links to where you get your info. As for staying in my basement, considering I have two kids with significant underlying health issues, as well as a father in his late 70's that just finished chemo 5 months ago (proclaimed clean by Mayo thankfully) so yes, I'm being extremely careful not to go out unless it's absolutely necessary and when I do I'm wearing a mask as every agency/expert (with the exception of Michael Olsterholm) has recommended. I choose to listen to doctors and scientists over your gut/perceptions.
                  Best to you and your family and taking precautions that make the most sense.

As far as the CDC their handling of previous outbreaks in the 2000s is concerning to say the least.

Reminds me of this.

“Mix medicine and healthcare with government and they both become political weapons. You get the political COVID debacle and a total disaster in care. You get bankrupt hospitals. You get the quarantining of healthy people. You get 40 million unemployed. You get a multiplication of problems that will reverberate through the years.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post

How do you know they're healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      How do you know they're healthy?
                      How do I know that each individual out of 330 million is or isn’t healthy?

Where is the end game? Stay locked down for how long? Till there is a vaccine? What if it isn’t that effective? Continue to lock down? Are the trade offs and consequences of a lockdown considered and allowed to be discussed?

Imagine if the time, energy and resources that went into the lockdown measures were used to better protect and manage long term care facilities.

Comment

Not surprising at all that the healthiest nations are doing very well against the virus. I stopped looking after the top 12 and they are faring very well versus other countries and some have had very little issues at all. All with varying degrees of measures and responses.

Healthy is something the US is not.

From Norway

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/norway-...cessary-22365/

Norwegian Institute of Public Health chief, Camille Stoltenberg, said in an interview (computer translated) she warns against such a shutdown again – even if the infection rates should increase somewhat.

“Our assessment now….is that we could possibly have achieved the same effects and avoided some of the unfortunate impacts by not locking down, but by instead keeping open but with infection control measures,” she said.
                        Last edited by Jeb2020; 06-06-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post
                          How do I know that each individual out of 330 million is or isn’t healthy?

Where is the end game? Stay locked down for how long? Till there is a vaccine? What if it isn’t that effective? Continue to lock down? Are the trade offs and consequences of a lockdown considered and allowed to be discussed?

Imagine if the time, energy and resources that went into the lockdown measures were used to better protect and manage long term care facilities.
                          Yeah, imagine that. Last I knew those were private entities, looking for ways to further ensure the government left them alone. Maybe you should take that lack of care issue up with their owners and operators, if it bothers you so much.

or maybe you'd just rather come on here and troll witlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Yeah, imagine that. Last I knew those were private entities, looking for ways to further ensure the government left them alone. Maybe you should take that lack of care issue up with their owners and operators, if it bothers you so much.

or maybe you'd just rather come on here and troll witlessly.
                            New York and MN for example did a wonderful job of “leaving them alone.”

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-lawmakers-and-advocates-call-for-end-to-virus-pipeline-to-elder-care/570968262/

Again the lock downs of healthy people are absolutely absurd. Even more absurd is people who are unwilling to discuss the consequences from them.
                            Last edited by Jeb2020; 06-06-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Jeb, first, thanks for your kind wishes for my family. Much appreciated. No offense but, your last paragraph in post 52 (I've been asked not to actually quote you so that those who've put you on ignore can see what you've wrote) appears to be someone's opinion. Which is fine but, you put it in quotes so, I assume it didn't come directly from you -- obviously you included it because you agree with it. However, it's difficult to assess it in any way since you didn't let us know who said it. It's obviously a continuation of the "the cure can't be worse than the disease" talking point that the right has been putting out since Trump decided he needed to focus on "opening things back up" to change the narrative away from how badly he mismanaged his response to the pandemic. Here's how I addressed this talking point to someone else who raised it in these forums previously:

I want to address your position on the "cure not being worse than the disease" position. The unfortunate thing is, we could have literally stayed as locked down as we were originally -- possibly even as long until we had a vaccine -- IF, emphasis on IF our government would have approached the economics of the situation the way many of the other western democracies did. By paying every adult between $2,000 and $3,000 per month until the crisis was over. AND, if either you or your spouse/partner lost full or even partial employment due to Covid, any student, car, or home loans that either/both of you had the payments would be suspended until we had a vaccine. With the delayed months being added on to the end of those terms. There are a number of respected economists who believe this would have been significantly cheaper for the federal government in the long term than what we have chosen to do.

To your point about how New York and Minnesota have chosen to handle long term care facilities during the pandemic; you're pretty new to these forums and if you go back and read the Covid thread prior to the current one, you'll see almost universal agreement (even from all of us lefties) that those decisions have been significant mistakes. There isn't a single person posting here that doesn't feel we -- the entire world community, including the WHO, the Chinese, the NIH, the CDC, and yes, numerous world leaders/governments -- have made mistakes or gotten things wrong regarding predictions of spread, or best treatments, or whether we should wear masks, or if surfaces are a significant risk for spread. However, most of those mistakes were honest ones by experts and professionals that acted or decided based on the best info available at that moment.

However, of all the people or entities that have made mistakes, the largest and most egregious in regards to direct effect on loss of human life is Donald J. Trump. He was informed in early January by his intelligence experts about the potential effects of the virus and, by mid-February, everyone of his science and medical experts were telling him he needed to shut down the country to minimize the spread. He waited for another month before he finally chose to do it. And, according to the following study published in the New York Times, we would've had almost 40,000 less dead bu May 1st if he would've simply acted a week earlier. Think about that... All because he refused to allow his desire (read...massive freaking EGO) to have a great economy/be re-elected be affected by a virus he refused to believe was a threat.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/u...ng-deaths.html

We are literally being "lead" by the least intelligent and empathetic human being in the history of the planet. And it's not even close.

I've stated this before but, since your new here I'll say it again. I spent over 20 years in the military, I owned my own business for 15 years, and voted for the following people for president since eligible to vote; Reagan in 84, Bush I in 88, Bush I in 92, Perot in 96, Bush II in 2000, wrote in Powell in '04, McCain in '08, then Obama in 2012, and McMullin in '16. My point being, my political leanings have been FAR more to the right than the left through the years, especially at the national level. But, after Trump was elected, I started to really evaluate what each party was doing. Not saying, but actually putting out legislation to act on.

To be honest, I have to give credit to many of those who post regularly on here who are much smarter than I am. Or at least, much better at researching information than me. I really hadn't ventured into the "Cafe" until the 2016 campaign but, since then I have had my eyes opened about where we really are as a country, who is really fighting for what and, most importantly, what I now know what I want our country to truly stand for and be about. Unfortunately, the Republican Party/right side of the political spectrum isn't doing anything to achieve that outcome. In fact, they are actively working to turn this into a fascist state.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X