UAH vs UND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAH vs UND

It's really sad that the axed conferenceless rather bad UAH men's team gets saved, maybe for just 1 year, but saved nonetheless, while the axed, in the best conference in the land, successful UND women's team does not get saved. I just don't get it. We all know there are plenty of Sioux alums who certainly on their own coin could have done it. What a sad state of affairs.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Re: UAH vs UND

The most surprising thing about the UND situation was that UND was supposed to be a 'hockey school'. You would figure the one sport they would want to continue would be both men's and women's hockey. When the administration of a 'hockey school' punts on the women's program, it is not suprising no one else would want to be on-board. And this was at a program that had its own facilities. I guess they can rent it out for more rodeos now or whatever they do to generate non-hockey revenue. The UAH administration never claimed to be hockey people and it is great a few ex-players stepped up to save the program (writing 6 figure checks in the process) and will serve as advisors.

Comment

Also sad is Alum from Huntsville care more about hockey than Alum from Grand Forks. Think about that.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Also sad is Alum from Huntsville care more about hockey than Alum from Grand Forks.
        My suspicion is that UND alumni would have come forward had men's hockey been on the chopping block. So it's possible that the people of Grand Forks aren't guilty of not caring about hockey, but instead, they care more about their sons than their daughters. I'm sure the rationale would be either that the men won, while the women didn't, at least on a championship scale; or more likely, the men's program made $$$, and the women's program didn't.

No matter what the real story is, it doesn't make it any more palatable to me.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It was not so much the people in Hunstville, or even administration at UAH, that saved the program. It was two (very) successful in industry ex-players. Women's programs will need the same at some point - ex-players who can give 6,7 figure checks to strengthen and keep afloat programs. That is the way college athletics works unfortunately. Biggest boosters of any college program is usually the former players.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            My suspicion is that UND alumni would have come forward had men's hockey been on the chopping block. So it's possible that the people of Grand Forks aren't guilty of not caring about hockey, but instead, they care more about their sons than their daughters. I'm sure the rationale would be either that the men won, while the women didn't, at least on a championship scale; or more likely, the men's program made $$$, and the women's program didn't.

No matter what the real story is, it doesn't make it any more palatable to me.
            Story I heard at the time was the hockey boosters never wanted women's hockey to begin with and were happy to get rid of it when they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
              It was not so much the people in Hunstville, or even administration at UAH, that saved the program. It was two (very) successful in industry ex-players. Women's programs will need the same at some point - ex-players who can give 6,7 figure checks to strengthen and keep afloat programs. That is the way college athletics works unfortunately. Biggest boosters of any college program is usually the former players.
              The Gophers were fortunate to have the Ridders. Although their generosity wasn't needed to keep the program "afloat" it sure went a long way towards establishing Minnesota, with their dedicated women's hockey arena, as one of the premier programs in the country.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                Story I heard at the time was the hockey boosters never wanted women's hockey to begin with and were happy to get rid of it when they did.
                For some that may not know or remember it, there was a UND hockey poster (male side) that came to this forum and sarcastically referred to the "17" posters who cared about WH at the time the UND women's program was being shut down. That would fit with what you heard.

Whatever....I'm proud to be a member of the "17" club.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Just saw that N Dakota new Gov. or the cities new mayor or something was a UND hockey player... maybe he can do something to get w. hockey back?

Comment

Originally posted by HckyFanFreak View Post
                    Just saw that N Dakota new Gov. or the cities new mayor or something was a UND hockey player... maybe he can do something to get w. hockey back?
                    Never say never, but getting their women's program back anytime soon would be a huge surprise, IMO.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                    X