This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 8: I Am Out Of Here...

If you get punched, literally, you can punch back. That is self-defense. No issue there.

I shall rephrase in that case. STARTING the violence is wrong. So, in your #2 and #3? Nope.

So the rioters these past few nights, outsiders or not, they are in the wrong.

And for the locals, KSTP (the number 5) has live coverage of a Floyd rally. Completely peaceful, HUGE crowd. THESE are the protesters. THESE are the people that no one should be after. For the out-of-towners, dunno if you can find a local stream or not. I have never looked.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      This is very much truth. It wasn't a panic moment.
      Yes. I think that is why the footage is so horrifying even to people who usually masturbate to the cops. My mother-in-law worked with cops for 20 years and always gives them the benefit of the doubt, and she's not exactly what you'd call racially enlightened either (she's an old Arizona white, whaddya want?). And she thinks Chauvin should get the chair.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Nicollet and 31st, next to the 5th precinct is where the rally is being held.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

If you get punched, literally, you can punch back. That is self-defense. No issue there.

I shall rephrase in that case. STARTING the violence is wrong. So, in your #2 and #3? Nope.

So the rioters these past few nights, outsiders or not, they are in the wrong.
          The rioters are telling you they didn't start the violence.

This is their self-defense.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            The rioters are telling you they didn't start the violence.

And the protesters are not being violent, which is something I've been saying all week.

The rioters, who are stealing TVs and burning businesses because of justice...or something...are the ones that should be targeted and arrested.

Comment

KSTP (Ch5) just reported that community/protest leaders are STRESSING that "If you are out after 8pm tonight, you are NOT with us."

Comment

community/protest leaders
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy4_h7Pb3M

I think that is a good community strategy, and I understand local religious or political figures may be "leaders," but I don't think there are any "protest leaders." The whole point is it was organic and spontaneous.
                Cornell University

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy4_h7Pb3M

I think that is a good community strategy, and I understand local religious or political figures may be "leaders," but I don't think there are any "protest leaders." The whole point is it was organic and spontaneous.
                  Protest organizers? It wasn't like a bunch of people just showed up and asked "What are you here for?" "To protest." "Oh, hey, me, too! What a coincidence!" A few people said, "Hey, we're gonna protest, join us." And so others did.

Comment

Protest organizers? It wasn't like a bunch of people just showed up and asked "What are you here for?" "To protest." "Oh, hey, me, too! What a coincidence!" A few people said, "Hey, we're gonna protest, join us." And so others did.
                    A lot of people, though. And also first does not equal in authority. If somebody says "let's protest" when the mood is right, then saying "now let's not protest" is just not effective.

The leaders in your example were saying what everybody was thinking.

As for the distinction between violence and non-violence, that makes sense to us because we are served by the system. We can get recourse under the rules. But if the law and law enforcement is set up to ignore you then "don't be violent" means "just shut up and take it." And people do, for decades, until one day they look at their kids, and then they don't.
                    Cornell University

Comment

A lot of people, though. And also first does not equal in authority. If somebody says "let's protest" when the mood is right, then saying "now let's not protest" is just not effective.

The leaders in your example were saying what everybody was thinking.

As for the distinction between violence and non-violence, that makes sense to us because we are served by the system. We can get recourse under the rules. But if the law and law enforcement is set up to ignore you then "don't be violent" means "just shut up and take it." And people do, for decades, until one day they look at their kids, and then they don't.
                      We'll find out the bolded part tonight, I guess.

Comment

If you are breaking the law, and are arrested, you cede certain things, and information on ties to extremist organizations, whether it be White Nationalists or Antifa*, is one of those things.
                        Fark that. You have the right to remain silent. You don't have to tell cops jack ****.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Fark that. You have the right to remain silent. You don't have to tell cops jack ****.
                          You are correct, you don't. But they know your name and can investigate your public social media accounts, where they might find those ties....private messaging might fall under something different (emails and such).

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Exactly.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              You are correct, you don't. But they know your name and can investigate your public social media accounts, where they might find those ties....private messaging might fall under something different (emails and such).
                              And that is wrong. That leads to finding a crime to fit the criminal after the fact.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                And that is wrong. That leads to finding a crime to fit the criminal after the fact.
                                No. You are still busted for the original crime. However, it could add circumstances. Terrorist act? Hate crime? Lone wolf? Maybe even mental state/illness? If it's a public social media account/blog/whatever, that's fair game. Emails, DMs, PMs, however you want to classify those, those are different.

Comment

Working...
                                X