X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 8: I Am Out Of Here...

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    It's possible the police fear this time it will be different. They may be coming to grips with a reckoning that we haven't seen previously, so they are even more scared. Frankly, they should be. One of the reasons we have seen them use the restraint that would have served them so well had they exercised it with regularity is they know -- to coin a phrase that might sound corny -- "The whole world is watching." No one was there in 1967 to film the Detroit police when they were brutalizing protesters and summarily executing some. If that happens now it will be seen almost immediately in every corner of the world. I also believe if that happened in the last couple of days or happens in the next couple, it will light a match to a fuse that might actually cause some cities to burn to the ground.
    More likely it is just the fact that MPD sucks, has always sucked and is protect by a union leadership that is a bunch of racist weasels. Throw in the Small Dick State Patrol and it is not a good combo.

The rioting showed the entire world exactly what a lot of us wanted to be seen...how screwed up the MPD is. It is nothing new either.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I give up. Some of you are just ****ing impossible. But it's a good reminder on why we can't accomplish a god **** thing in this country.
      History has demonstrated that peaceful protests have accomplished absolutely nothing. If you think they are the answer you have a profound misunderstanding of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        I'm fully expecting a bump in a week or two. Real shame it will hit the already reeling communities hardest.
        Yeah...and it isnt like our numbers had dropped off that much anyways so yeah this is not going to help.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Just saw Chertoff on CNN and he said his sources say it’s both extremists on the left and right who are doing the rioting bit. I think the police want to use that as an excuse to shut down the protests. Hopefully they aren’t successful.

I’m not sure what coverage JD has been watching but in what I have seen there is a lot of concern about Covid. I’ve ever seen some protesters say this is so important they are completely fine risking their health.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            More likely it is just the fact that MPD sucks, has always sucked and is protect by a union leadership that is a bunch of racist weasels. Throw in the Small Dick State Patrol and it is not a good combo.

The rioting showed the entire world exactly what a lot of us wanted to be seen...how screwed up the MPD is. It is nothing new either.
            Some talking head had on some former high ranking police official. He noted that a number of other high ranking police officers (chiefs and sheriffs mostly) were forcefully condemning the actions of the Minneapolis cops but lamenting that he was seeing neither rank-and-file cops or the police unions coming forward to finally condemn killer cops. To me the entire key to reforming police departments is in the hands of current police officers and their unions. If all the good cops we are repeatedly told are out there really are good cops, they need to finally, once and for all, step up. Had we seen a viral video that would have shown one of those other cops -- or better yet all three of them -- pull Chauvin off George Floyd when it was clear he was in some difficulty, none of what we have seen in the last week would have happened. None of it. All it would have taken was for 3 lousy cops to be the good cops that are supposedly all over the place. Yet 100% of the cops there were bad cops. If there was ever a time in our nation for the police to step up and lead by example, it is now. In some ways it might mean the difference between their own life or death.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
              History has demonstrated that peaceful protests have accomplished absolutely nothing. If you think they are the answer you have a profound misunderstanding of the problem.
              I think this time, it WILL change things. Friday, curfew enacted, but not enforced. The protesters marched, no issues. The rioters did their thing, and chaos.

Saturday, the protesters marched and rallied until curfew, and then went home. That proved a point. We're still gonna protest hardcore, but we will compromise, for the safety of the city. That is a HUGE message. Little happened last night, in comparison with the rest of the week. All the coward rioters stayed home.

I was more than impressed that THAT tactic worked, and the protesters listened to the organizers/community leaders, etc. I applaud the discipline that took to step back a little.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Random legal question...do towns, cities, and states have to negotiate a contract with whatever union represents the officers. Obviously our country needs unions more than ever, but it seems like with policing issues unions are a big part of the problem.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                  Except I haven't stated they are THE answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    I’m not sure what coverage JD has been watching but in what I have seen there is a lot of concern about Covid. I’ve ever seen some protesters say this is so important they are completely fine risking their health.
                    It's not just about them. Do they have families they go home to? What's their job situation and who do they interact with?

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                      An elitist white privileged attitude with a stunning lack of historical knowledge.

Birmingham bus boycott. Rosetta Parks. Selma. All instrumental in civil rights legislation. Funny how easily you want to ignore the courage of people like John Lewis for example.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Ummmm, who here is justifying rioting?
                        Fade, Scooby and Kep if memory serves. Will have to go back to the prior thread to find more.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

And I see no evidence that Kepler wants rioting. Kepler seems more of the "let them do what they think is right it isnt my place cause I am a white Bougie it wont affect my life anyways" type of guy. The problem with him is he has very little tact and gives zero phucks how he words things.
                          Kepler thinks it's racist for a white man to dictate to these people what to do, because he's never had to face what they face. That means he won't put white hats and black hats on protesters / rioters / looters, and that makes people who need white hats and black hats to pigeonhole a situation very upset.

Kepler's point is that our reaction cannot be legitimately analytical because we don't have the most important information: what it is like to be black and poor in America. That means any attempt we make to judge will be equivalent to Ben Shapiro whitesplaining why rap isn't music.

But this puts nice white liberals in the same category as, well, Ben Shapiro, and nice white liberals don't want to hear that. After all, they aren't racist, they just abhor violence. So riots and looting and arson are never justified even if that means another hundred years of the misery of... somebody else.

Kepler is on the side of the people who have gotten f-cked. Part of his understanding of white privilege is whites always set the rules on what is or is not permitted response. He has faith that the people who have been stabbed in the face for 400 years know better than he how to respond to being stabbed.

Kepler is telling whitey to shut up and since Kepler is white he's shutting up.

I will give more attention to phrasing, however, because you are right that that is distracting and loses people who otherwise would be allies.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-31-2020, 01:41 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kepler also likes to use a lot of words when a few will do
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Kepler also likes to use a lot of words when a few will do
                              It's a fair cop.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 05-31-2020, 01:49 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                An elitist white privileged attitude with a stunning lack of historical knowledge.

Birmingham bus boycott. Rosetta Parks. Selma. All instrumental in civil rights legislation. Funny how easily you want to ignore the courage of people like John Lewis for example.
                                You act as if that solved the problem, yet here we still are. All that legislation has amounted to little change in over half a century because whites, law enforcement and the haves have failed to hold up their end of the bargain. If you haven't, I'd recommend watching Trevor Noah's latest video.

Edit: It should would be interesting to hear what MLK had to say after seeing decades pass with no further progress. Remind me again why he isn't sharing his thoughts?
                                Last edited by jerphisch; 05-31-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X