This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 7: What Could Go Wrong?

Outside of bots I have seen nothing that confirms the Guard was pulled out. Since the bots are spreading it I will call bs.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Walz clearly didn't get a harrumph out of her. She better watch her ***.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        Ditto.

That being said, the amazing LACK of reaction by a vast majority of the police is outstanding.
        What it tells me is that when they get a sense the whole world is watching they can show some level of restraint and the ability to de-escalate. What that also tells me is, as I have always known, is the problems in our police departments are not a lack of training, but a lack of humanity. Turn all the cameras off and my guess is you'd have some dead protesters.

Comment

Hence my anger at hearing people say "all police are bad and corrupt and etc." Some are bad. It's okay to support LEOs and condemn the ones that tarnish the badge.
          But the core problem is law enforcement that defends an unjust set of laws and social attitudes, and the cops writ large, all over the country, have to answer for that.

Whether you are personally racist or not, executing the orders of a racist system that harms people means you are culpable. I was only following orders is no defense -- at some level your humanity has to kick in or you bought the ticket too.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            What it tells me is that when they get a sense the whole world is watching they can show some level of restraint and the ability to de-escalate. What that also tells me is, as I have always known, is the problems in our police departments are not a lack of training, but a lack of humanity. Turn all the cameras off and my guess is you'd have some dead protesters.
            Exactly so.

We know that without cells phones there would be mass beatings and some deaths because that's what happened in every confrontation before there were cell phones.

Whether police work attracts right wing authoritarians or creates them once it engulfs them, the result is... right wing authoritarians. Short of kicking every right winger off every police force in America, we have to find a way to put enough restraint and oversight on them that they serve instead of abusing.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-29-2020, 10:29 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ugh these morons demanding first degree murder are, well, morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                But the core problem is law enforcement that defends an unjust set of laws and social attitudes, and the cops writ large, all over the country, have to answer for that.

Whether you are personally racist or not, executing the orders of a racist system that harms people means you are culpable. I was only following orders is no defense -- at some level your humanity has to kick in or you bought the ticket too.
                Those bolded statements are a bunch of BS, too. It's a weak defense. An officer can choose to give a warning, a lesson on what the law is, instead of writing a ticket or arresting the person. There is leeway in there, for the lesser offenses. It's to the officer's discretion.

I mean, you and another person have an interaction, and one ends up dead? Yeah, no leeway there. Going 3 miles over the speed limit? There's leeway.

For the latter instance, it is NOT the system. It's the officer.

EDIT: soh: that first (or second) degree stuff? Yeah, that is just silly.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Those bolded statements are a bunch of BS, too. It's a weak defense. An officer can choose to give a warning, a lesson on what the law is, instead of writing a ticket or arresting the person. There is leeway in there, for the lesser offenses. It's to the officer's discretion.

I mean, you and another person have an interaction, and one ends up dead? Yeah, no leeway there. Going 3 miles over the speed limit? There's leeway.

For the latter instance, it is NOT the system. It's the officer.

EDIT: soh: that first (or second) degree stuff? Yeah, that is just silly.
                  When's the last time you've seen an officer publicly call out another officer for any racist activity and make sure that officer is punished?
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    When's the last time you've seen an officer publicly call out another officer for any racist activity and make sure that officer is punished?
                    Next time may be first time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      That doesn't even happen on Brooklyn 99. But probably only because it isn't very funny.

Comment

Ah, seeing bots try and say the mugshot of chauvin isn’t actually him, it’s a stand in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Exactly so.

We know that without cells phones there would be mass beatings and some deaths because that;s what has happened in every city all the times before there were cell phones.
                          Which is why we are not likely to see a repeat of the riots of the 1960s when many of the official riot-related deaths were from bullets fired by cops or National Guardsmen. In the 12th Street riot in Detroit in 1967 more than half of the deaths by gunfire were from the weapons of the police and Guard, not the snipers who were thought to be firing on every cop and firefighter in the city. If we capture on cell phone video cops shooting yet another black man who is protesting the death of YET ANOTHER black man expect these riots to make the riots of the 1960s look like a nasty PTA meeting. If the cops are ever to hold off firing a lethal weapon unless their lives are actually in mortal danger, these next few nights would be the time to show that kind of restraint.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            This week. Have seen MANY officers and ex-officers say that "knee on neck" is NOT proper training, and this is NOT the way we want officers to behave. Source is various articles in the Mpls Star Tribune.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Mike Max has been walking with a group of protesters...it is hilarious!
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                That doesn't even happen on Brooklyn 99. But probably only because it isn't very funny.
                                I am not an Andy Sandberg guy but I love that show
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X