X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cops 7: What Could Go Wrong?

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Yeah that is easy for him to say...he doesnt have to work at any of the places that likely will be closed after these riots. People are destroying a community and many local businesses so they can steal some crap from Target.

There is no excusing what is happening...

Again Mookie is not the hero of Do The Right Thing. (nor is Radio Rahim or Sal or Buggin Out) They are all part of the problem. I agree with everything the protesters are saying (even though the City handled this about as well as you can) but their actions are completely wiping away and moral argument they have. Not to mention...Midway is like 8 miles away from Lake Street in another friggin city! Why loot a local pawn shop or other stores there? The message has been lost.
    Now just think how it would feel if this went on for decades(centuries?) and no real action was ever taken to stop it. You might be angry enough to riot.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
      Now just think how it would feel if this went on for decades(centuries?) and no real action was ever taken to stop it. You might be angry enough to riot.
      Easy for you to say when your house isn't in danger.

**** the whole idea that riot is good. I'm on their side until it means my house gets burned down or my family's safety is put in jeopardy.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        Your condescension is noted and logged.

So it is your contention that the way to stop the injustice is to cause injustice to others at random? How very biblical of you.

So I assume if you owned a shop in Midway, had been there forever and never actively oppressed anyone you would be totally fine if a bunch of random looters destroyed your store and stole your stuff? You would just stand up and say "**** it sucks but they had it worse so oh well time to move on!"?

These riots arent doing anything to fix the problem they are making it worse. The looters are punishing the wrong people. That isnt justice, that is greed and stupidity. You know who lives and works in Midway? Not a lot of Rich Racist White People...it is college students and immigrants. It is people on the lower end of the socio-economic ladder. Those stores arent being manned by a bunch of WASPS in Trump hats...just like the Target on Lake Street it was all locals that worked there that now are at risk of losing their job. Way to show em!

Again I am 100% behind what they are fighting for, I am 100% behind them protesting and causing a scene. Looters are criminals and setting fire to random businesses that havent (to anyones knowledge) done anything wrong is not the right answer to this.
        Last edited by Handyman; 05-28-2020, 01:50 PM.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by handyman View Post
            your condescension is noted and logged.

So it is your contention that the way to stop the injustice is to cause injustice to others at random? How very biblical of you.

So i assume if you owned a shop in midway, had been there forever and never actively oppressed anyone you would be totally fine if a bunch of random looters destroyed your store and stole your stuff? You would just stand up and say "**** it sucks but they had it worse so oh well time to move on!"?

These riots arent doing anything to fix the problem they are making it worse. The looters are punishing the wrong people. That isnt justice, that is greed and stupidity. You know who lives and works in midway? Not a lot of rich racist white people...it is college students and immigrants. It is people on the lower end of the socio-economic ladder. Those stores arent being manned by a bunch of wasps in trump hats...just like the target on lake street it was all locals that worked there that now are at risk of losing their job. Way to show em!

Again i am 100% behind what they are fighting for, i am 100% behind them protesting and causing a scene. Looters are criminals and setting fire to random businesses that havent (to anyones knowledge) done anything wrong is not the right answer to this.
            a+
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I don't think riot is good, just understandable. I'll remember what lit this powder keg and not let the opportunists distract me from the message being sent. Will this be harder I'd my house gets torched? Probably. But I hope I'd manage to do it.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    I don't think riot is good, just understandable. I'll remember what lit this powder keg and not let the opportunists distract me from the message being sent. Will this be harder I'd my house gets torched? Probably. But I hope I'd manage to do it.
                    I can both condemn the act that caused all of this (and boy do I) and condemn what is happening. The two are not mutually exclusive.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Rosedale shut down.

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This dialogue could come from 1967 between the Black Panthers or Malcom X and King's followers or between peaceniks and the Weather Underground. This is certainly a different time, and Mpls is its own place, but that question of when and why social protest turns from peaceful to violent and what is gained by it is not new. I was old enough in the 60s to have learned something from it, but I don't know that I did. When does violence become a necessary part of social protest?

And I get that most posters here are simply saying the violence is counter productive and only hurts a cause they happen to believe in. That dynamic is also not new.

Comment

I can both condemn the act that caused all of this (and boy do I) and condemn what is happening. The two are not mutually exclusive.
                          Yep. I agree 1000%. Everything about this is humanity on stupidity.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Easy for you to say when your house isn't in danger.

**** the whole idea that riot is good. I'm on their side until it means my house gets burned down or my family's safety is put in jeopardy.
                            I'm not saying I support it, I'm saying it's inevitable. How cozy for you to be able to say that you support minorities until your family's safety is put in jeopardy, when the ENTIRE reason your safety is in jeopardy is that their safety is constantly in jeopardy. I get that most posters here are on the right side of the issue, but absolutely NOTHING has changed. That simply can't go on forever, this will continue to happen until significant changes are made. Unfortunately that's still probably decades away.

Comment

I didn't think they were.

We only differ on the degree of which we condemn the rioting/looting, so I'll just leave it alone.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                I probably would have thought the same thing until it was a mile from my house, workplace, and my wife's work.

It's not understandable. It's useless and opportunistic anarchy
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X