X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 7: What Could Go Wrong?

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Kindly point out to me where rioting has ever helped improve the lives of the rioters? Really curious if you can cite any examples.
    If you're sincere, here is a discussion of the exact topic. The actual evidence would take a lifetime to fully digest and analyze, but flippancy works much better on a forum.

Political violence is analogous to warfare. War is inefficient and has undesirable side effects so the state prefers other means, but it does work, which is why states so often resort to it. Riots are the same -- they're not the first choice, but when faced with an intolerable situation they can advance a cause by making unoppressed people share the pain of the oppressed group. This increases the scope of the people who want to see a change made. It puts privileged skin in the game, and we are used to being insulated from their pain, so that's why it's so shocking.

Non-violence works if the privileged are motivated. Violence is the last resort if the privileged are indifferent.

One reason it is impressed so strongly upon us by the state through education that political violence is a moral wrong is that it does work, even when the state doesn't want it. It is change against the wishes of the status quo, and that is always labeled immoral in every society to preserve both order and the powers that be.

Notice though that the ongoing oppression of the people isn't immoral -- that's just something that regretfully "happens." Poverty and racism aren't anybody's fault, they're just "out there." And the lethality of poverty and racism are not as dramatic as a burning building even though they affect an enormously greater number of people.

Until, of course, somebody is murdered on film and it galvanizes people.

Violence is a bad solution but it is a solution. One of the jobs of the state is to foster a progressive enough society that people are not incentified to violence -- it's just not worth it. Evolution, not revolution.

So, when people riot that doesn't indicate "whoa, those are bad people." It indicates, "whoa, those people must really be getting f-cked."

It's desperation.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-29-2020, 11:22 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Did I ever say that? No.

I am merely pointing out that I can understand why they are rioting (though I do not support it), and that by playing the "just vote" card you're being a tone-deaf PWL.
      And I'm pointing out that they're doing more harm than good, which you appear to agree with so why are you arguing with me? Ultimately they need to vote. No amount of arson is going to have the same amount of power. However, if they keep rioting the voters are going to turn to electing Republicans to restore order.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Is the answer Jesus?
        No, I mean nowadays. We need someone with that Christ-like attitude to just take a knee in quiet protest when things get bad... should be someone famous though, and it would be good if he looks like Jesus, medium brown skin, dark curly hair, tall and athletic enough to overturn some moneychangers' tables if need be... too bad someone like that hasn't stepped up.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

what is so sad, IMHO, here is a murder, a horrible injustice, an awful death and some people's reaction is let's go grab a pair of new shoes or a cellphone and burn a few buildings down. once again, IMHO, think of the impact of miles and miles of peaceful protesters, perhaps shutting down some freeways would have. think Selma.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            what is so sad, IMHO, here is a murder, a horrible injustice, an awful death and some people's reaction is let's go grab a pair of new shoes or a cellphone and burn a few buildings down. once again, IMHO, think of the impact of miles and miles of peaceful protesters, perhaps shutting down some freeways would have. think Selma.
            We've had miles and miles of peaceful protests. Nothing happened.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              Think of the retailers and insurance companies!!!
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I mean, seriously, are we all forgetting the Black Lives Matter protests? Most peaceful. Already? Come on. We swept it under the rug. We fired the black QB and vilified him for disrespecting our flag. And now we're all shocked this is the result?

Wake up.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  If you're sincere, here is a discussion of the exact topic. The actual evidence would take a lifetime to fully digest and analyze, but flippancy works much better on a forum.
                  I thought you had me on ignore? Anyways, I read the article by the self described "freedom fighter" and I'll pick out a couple of examples. The long hot summer of 1967. What did that lead to, so much so that he explicitly ran on it in his winning 1968 campaign? Richard Nixon as President.

Crown Heights riots of 1991. Directly resulted in 8 years of Rudy F'in Giuliani.

Rodney King riots of 1992. What was the effect? First GOP mayor of LA in 30 years. 3 strikes and your out law in CA. Racist Pete Wilson re-elected as Gov.

I'd argue to you that the people who were rioting were left much worse off by the political leadership that took over in each riot's aftermath.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Colin Kapernick would have been better served launching a GOTV drive. Again, I'm really not sure what part of this people aren't understanding. If you don't vote, and convince like minded people to vote with you, you will not achieve power. Torching buildings won't get it done. In fact, it'll have the opposite effect which is to put more right wing loons into office. If Republicans were running the show in Minny right now, not only would those 4 cops still have their jobs, they all would have gotten promotions.

Fukin' Vote.
                    Minneapolis does. This didnt happen because of the Mayor of Minneapolis or the Governor of Minnesota (both Progressive Democrats) this is because the cops are a protected class of people in this country (oh their job is just so scary and hard...go **** yourself) who are able to rule with impunity. Voting in other pols isnt going to change that. Cops all over the country, no matter who has power, never face the consequences of their actions. People like to blame after the fact (like the ones blaming this on Klobuchar which is a friggin joke) but in the moment no one is willing to do anything about it.

You might think your simplicity is wisdom...it isnt. If Joe Biden is elected tomorrow, and the Left takes both Houses of Congress it wont ****ing change a thing. People will just feel better because of the platitudes pushed out about equality. Voting isnt what is going to fix this...the people themselves need to change their entire belief structure about what and who cops are and need to be willing to make sacrifices to make sure they are held to a higher standard.
                    Last edited by Handyman; 05-29-2020, 10:49 AM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      We've had miles and miles of peaceful protests. Nothing happened.
                      There's no such thing as a peaceful protest for minority rights in the eyes of triggered little Republican snowflakes. Shutting down the freeways? Infringes on my God-given right to go anywhere I please at any time. Kneeling or fist-raising during the anthem? Implies disrespect to t3h trooooooopz and/or violent overthrow of white rule.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        There's no such thing as a peaceful protest for minority rights in the eyes of triggered little Republican snowflakes. Shutting down the freeways? Infringes on my God-given right to go anywhere I please at any time. Kneeling or fist-raising during the anthem? Implies disrespect to soldiers and/or violent overthrow of white rule.
                        Exactly. And why that is difficult to grasp is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          I mean, seriously, are we all forgetting the Black Lives Matter protests? Most peaceful. Already? Come on. We swept it under the rug. We fired the black QB and vilified him for disrespecting our flag. And now we're all shocked this is the result?

Wake up.
                          Black Lives Matter began in 2013 after the Treyvon Martin verdict. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter

African American voter turnout 2016 vs 2012.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-cast-ballots/

Do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                            That some people exploit a movement does not nullify the movement. Every human situation is also abused by bad actors. But we don't say "well, charity is bad because some people set up fraudulent charities."

Identifying the protest with the looters is one of the ways the people who want you to ignore the original problem get you to write off the protest. It's a tactic. Don't fall for it.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              I thought you had me on ignore? Anyways, I read the article by the self described "freedom fighter" and I'll pick out a couple of examples. The long hot summer of 1967. What did that lead to, so much so that he explicitly ran on it in his winning 1968 campaign? Richard Nixon as President.

Crown Heights riots of 1991. Directly resulted in 8 years of Rudy F'in Giuliani.

Rodney King riots of 1992. What was the effect? First GOP mayor of LA in 30 years. 3 strikes and your out law in CA. Racist Pete Wilson re-elected as Gov.

I'd argue to you that the people who were rioting were left much worse off by the political leadership that took over in each riot's aftermath.
                              I think instead of rioting where the event happened they should start tearing up nice white neighborhoods. I would try not to hurt people more cause havoc on the high streets in those towns.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                No, I mean nowadays. We need someone with that Christ-like attitude to just take a knee in quiet protest when things get bad... should be someone famous though, and it would be good if he looks like Jesus, medium brown skin, dark curly hair, tall and athletic enough to overturn some moneychangers' tables if need be... too bad someone like that hasn't stepped up.
                                If he looks like that he will be shot. He better look like Euro Jesus then maybe people will pretend to care.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X