HARVARD, in a time of trial, '20-'21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HARVARD, in a time of trial, '20-'21

My annual appeal for the skinny on Harvard’s recruits, from anyone in the know.
    We need D . . . and we get 4Fs, 2Gs and 1D!!!!!!

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wic...20200508ibo5us

(I’m still not convinced anyone’s going to see any ice time, regardless of class.)
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 05-24-2020, 09:36 PM. Reason: more exclamation points needed!

Re: HARVARD, in a time of trial, '20-'21

so for the 2020 grad there is a Nobles grad who did a PG year at Andover Rose O'Connor . I personally love her play...THe Goalie Daisy Boynton is very good, played for Middlesex and saw a ton of shots in general. it looks like their are 2 defenseman in the 2021 class (J. McDonald and M. Biotti) both these girls are good players who went to NDC and for Biotti was on the U18 team. J. McDonald had some interesting history with a broken knee cap making her miss a year of play, and then after sophomore year she left Nobles for Rivers School. 2 D in the 2022 class (K. McDonald (Nobles) and J Arnone (St Pauls school) that are standouts ...
    (to avoid the usual site smack downs....none of these girls are mine, i just follow the ISL )

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
      My annual appeal for the skinny on Harvard’s recruits, from anyone in the know.
      We need D . . . and we get 4Fs, 2Gs and 1D!!!!!!

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wic...20200508ibo5us

(I’m still not convinced anyone’s going to see any ice time, regardless of class.)
      No Minnesota girls for the Crimson! They get a way above average Forward in 2021 in Hannah Chorske of Edina (coached by alum Sammy Reber). Also committed (to the best of my knowledge) is Alex Pellecci, a goalie who plays MNHS boys hockey for Holy Family. She plays elite league with girls in the fall and spring. Holy Family plays a weaker schedule than the elite teams like Breck, Edina, Andover, etc. IMO it makes sense for goalies on the girls side to consider this option. The best HS girls goalies last season except one (Uma Corneia of Edina, committed to Princeton since 8th grade) all played boys. There were 4 goalies that played boys: Skylar Vetter (USA U18-U of MN-Lakeville North), Pellicci, Bothun (2020-Penn State-Andover), & Skavnak (2021-MSU-Rogers and rumored to be Andover girls next season)

Cornell wins the best incoming MN class of girls for 2020 in an Ivy League school with Lily Delianedis and Gabby Rud. Delianedis (Ms Hockey candidate and linemate of Ivy Freshman of the year the prior 3 seasons) will be a significant contributor for the Big Red the next 4 years.
      Last edited by used2lurk; 05-27-2020, 12:05 AM. Reason: missing information updated

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
        Bothun (2020-Penn State-Andover)
        used2lurk, If I'm not mistaken, I think Bothun played with the Forest Lake boys team.

Cornell wins the best incoming MN class of girls for 2020 in an Ivy League school with Lily Delianedis and Gabby Rud. Delianedis (Ms Hockey candidate and linemate of Ivy Freshman of the year the prior 3 seasons) will be a significant contributor for the Big Red the next 4 years.
        Agreed, Cornell is doing a very good job recruiting in Minnesota.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          used2lurk, If I'm not mistaken, I think Bothun played with the Forest Lake boys team.
          100% she played for Forest Lake. Screwed up my edit when I started writing about all the goalies playing HS boys. Thank you.

Comment

100% she played for Forest Lake. Screwed up my edit when I started writing about all the goalies playing HS boys. Thank you.
            And still the most selfish thing these players can do when they have viable girls' teams to play on. I'll bet all of these players and parents say they support the sport of women's hockey but then they leave it behind rather than make it better to pursue their individual interests - interests, by the way, that would have just as likely been fulfilled if they had stood by their respective girls' programs.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
              so for the 2020 grad there is a Nobles grad who did a PG year at Andover Rose O'Connor . I personally love her play...THe Goalie Daisy Boynton is very good, played for Middlesex and saw a ton of shots in general. it looks like their are 2 defenseman in the 2021 class (J. McDonald and M. Biotti) both these girls are good players who went to NDC and for Biotti was on the U18 team. J. McDonald had some interesting history with a broken knee cap making her miss a year of play, and then after sophomore year she left Nobles for Rivers School. 2 D in the 2022 class (K. McDonald (Nobles) and J Arnone (St Pauls school) that are standouts ...
              (to avoid the usual site smack downs....none of these girls are mine, i just follow the ISL )
              Thank you. Anyone who follows the ISL is not going to get a smack down from me. I’m especially glad you like O’Connor because she’s going to see a lot of ice time . . . by definition, by default, of necessity. Ditto for Boynton, if Reed doesn’t recover whatever it is she lost last season. And yes, all the tea leaves indicate a banner year for Crimson recruits in 2021, especially, as I have heard, the Nobles-to-Rivers Jenna MacDonald. But the coming season, as always, is the only one that counts, and I have to say that I’d rather not have it at all than see three 3-minute periods of 3x3 hockey, attended by 33 people.

used2lurk: we’ll take whatever Sammy Reber sends us!

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                Thank you. Anyone who follows the ISL is not going to get a smack down from me. I’m especially glad you like O’Connor because she’s going to see a lot of ice time . . . by definition, by default, of necessity. Ditto for Boynton, if Reed doesn’t recover whatever it is she lost last season. And yes, all the tea leaves indicate a banner year for Crimson recruits in 2021, especially, as I have heard, the Nobles-to-Rivers Jenna MacDonald. But the coming season, as always, is the only one that counts, and I have to say that I’d rather not have it at all than see three 3-minute periods of 3x3 hockey, attended by 33 people.

used2lurk: we’ll take whatever Sammy Reber sends us!
                The bad news is KDR and Petrie are already Juniors. The time flies. I agree with the poster who said he is not convinced there will be hockey next year. Looks like the whole summer is cancelled except for Florida where Universal and Disney are reopening. Cedar Point still does not have the go ahead to open.

Comment

What's with all the goalies?? How about recruiting some D?? Pretty thin back there.

Comment

The fate of athletics was not on the agenda for a Q&A with the vice provost in charge of “advanced learning” published recently. But based on the fact that “Harvard is planning for a fall semester largely online,” according to the Harvard Gazette, a return to anything like normal residential college life seems doubtful. When what is on the agenda is the question of “replicating the community aspect . . . of a campus experience” anyone can read the tea leaves.

But don’t despair. NESN is stepping up and showing the 2015 Beanpot championship game tonight! How’s THAT for compensation! HU 3 - BC 2. Remember??? Don’t worry if you miss it, there’s a replay tomorrow at 5 a.m. (4 a.m. for you folks in the Midwest).

Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 06-15-2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

The Ivy League issued an odd, and oddly timed, statement "suspending all mandatory team activities on Tuesday, Nov.3 to allow all student-athletes, coaches and athletic staff to participate in Election Day activities." It's odd because Nov. 3 seems a little late in the game to "actively promote non-partisan voter registration and information regarding absentee ballots," and it's oddly timed because these schools have yet to announce if/when/how any students at all will be allowed to navigate the fall semester. (Yale has announced a shortened term, Columbia is going to three semesters, and Brown is attempting an all-in, as far as I can tell. Most of the Ivies have promised announcements by July 15 at the latest, and at best these will entail elaborate arrangements for "hybrid" learning.)

This election gesture that these schools are making is just one among other, more comprehensive measures announced in an effort to take meaningful action in light of BLM and the trough that this country has fallen into, but "designating Election Day as a day off from any countable athletically related activity (CARA)" sounds a little tokenistic, shall we say. And isn't every day this fall likely to be more or less CARA-free? (Who comes up with this lingo?) But even I will forget about all the inevitable PR plays if something actually happens.

In other news, apparently there will be plenty of CARAs for BC, BU and NU, where everyone will be back on campus. While I can understand the gutsy experiment the Eagles are taking from their remote perch on the Heights, the Terriers and Huskies are simply inviting months of Spring Break without the spring. Boston area hospitals are not going to appreciate being used as undergrad infirmaries. One interesting scenario for hockey fans, however, is the possibility of seeing the first three-team Beanpot ever (FTTBE). Or perhaps a poorly conditioned, late-starting Crimson squad will be given a three goal handicap in each game.

Peace.
                      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 06-22-2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

"Boston area hospitals are not going to appreciate being used as undergrad infirmaries."

Except for a infintessimal percentage, undergrads dont get sick enough from Covid to go to the hospital. It will have no impact on Boston area hospitals. STD's will be a bigger problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

Except for a infintessimal percentage, undergrads dont get sick enough from Covid to go to the hospital. It will have no impact on Boston area hospitals. STD's will be a bigger problem.
                          I have a niece who is a doctor of internal medicine at Brigham and Women’s, so I always perk up at any suggestion that her workload will lighten. However, since I have never had a STD, I was unaware that those entail a hospital visit. In my ignorance, I assumed that all that was needed was a visit to the clinic to get an antibiotic prescribed. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

On a serious note, everything I have seen claims that virtually everyone who gets covid-19 gets at least the fever. That’s why more and more places are using thermal imaging devices to scan people. I suspect that “asymptomatic” covid-19 patients are really just “unreported until tested” patients. The fever is a good indicator that something bad is happening. This is important because everyone is trying to find a good tool for determining who had (and/or has) covid-19, and the Chinese are suggesting that their research indicates that CT scans are correctly identifying 97% of covid infections. Small sample size, so grain of salt. What the CT scan shows is lung damage, specifically GGOs (ground glass opacities). Google them if you want further info. We all know that lungs are not very good at repairing themselves, so any damage is likely permanent. And doctors are seeing this in patients who recover. They have named it post-covid fibrosis.

What does this mean for our ladies? Well, if we bring them all together and let covid run rampant through the teams, nobody will die probably, but we stand a good chance (> 40%?) of turning superb athletes into “just okay” athletes because of the lung damage. Not something I want to be part of, honestly.

This ends my serious note. Please return to your normal programming.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post

On a serious note, everything I have seen claims that virtually everyone who gets covid-19 gets at least the fever. That’s why more and more places are using thermal imaging devices to scan people. I suspect that “asymptomatic” covid-19 patients are really just “unreported until tested” patients. The fever is a good indicator that something bad is happening. This is important because everyone is trying to find a good tool for determining who had (and/or has) covid-19, and the Chinese are suggesting that their research indicates that CT scans are correctly identifying 97% of covid infections. Small sample size, so grain of salt. What the CT scan shows is lung damage, specifically GGOs (ground glass opacities). Google them if you want further info. We all know that lungs are not very good at repairing themselves, so any damage is likely permanent. And doctors are seeing this in patients who recover. They have named it post-covid fibrosis.

What does this mean for our ladies? Well, if we bring them all together and let covid run rampant through the teams, nobody will die probably, but we stand a good chance (> 40%?) of turning superb athletes into “just okay” athletes because of the lung damage. Not something I want to be part of, honestly.
                            Having a wife and many friends who work in the medical field as well as living in a college town our experience of this has been very different. I personally know 5 different people that have tested positive and in EVERY one of those circumstances the virus has come through as a GI problem. No fever. No respiratory issues. It presented as a 24 hour flu. Many others were positive but asymptomatic. I'm not saying this is everyone, just my experience of it. Some may present with respiratory and what you state is true. Others are going to present with different symptoms, if any at all. Of course, Influenza A, Influenza B, H1N1, and others can all create the same issues.

I just hope we can move forward...

I hope everyone is staying safe (whatever that means to you) and I'm hoping we will see some hockey this season.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post

Having a wife and many friends who work in the medical field as well as living in a college town our experience of this has been very different. I personally know 5 different people that have tested positive and in EVERY one of those circumstances the virus has come through as a GI problem. No fever. No respiratory issues. It presented as a 24 hour flu. Many others were positive but asymptomatic. I'm not saying this is everyone, just my experience of it. Some may present with respiratory and what you state is true. Others are going to present with different symptoms, if any at all. Of course, Influenza A, Influenza B, H1N1, and others can all create the same issues.

I just hope we can move forward...

I hope everyone is staying safe (whatever that means to you) and I'm hoping we will see some hockey this season.
                              Hey, DDad, I'm back from a sojourn off grid at our cottage in the woods. It was refreshing to be away for a bit.

I agree with everything you said, but you missed the major implication of the study (as did I until my daughter pointed it out to me): EVERYONE who got covid-19 got lung damage, regardless of the severity (including lack) of their symptoms. I presume the study got false positives from those people who had damage from the other diseases you listed and had not had covid, but the study claimed that all who had covid were correctly identified. I don't know if a larger sample size (they tested a little over a thousand people, with somewhere in the 75% range of the sample having had covid) would produce different results. I sure hope so, because, like you, I have many immediate family members who are MDs (and one RN) and are dealing with covid as we speak. We can hope that having covid gives future immunity like having flu does, but I think I read that covid belongs to the same virus "family" as the common cold, not the flu "family".

Anyway, this is a hockey forum, not a medical one, and our ladies are even now showing up on campus. So this will be my last post about covid. We are moving forward. Stay safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X