Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    And I believe this was the same argument used the last time the program was axed and they raised funds to save the program. So if the funds raised back then were to make the program self-sustaining, was there a mismanagement of funds?
    Probably not a mismanagement. What funds are necessary to be “world class” are subjective. UAH was last in trouble by not getting home games and hence, no revenue. They were admitted to the nWCHA and were ok financially I’d assume. The record sucked which again, what recruits would want to go there so shortly after the first cancellation. They aren’t a primary tenet in their oversized arena. Time and stability would’ve helped. Now we get reports schools are cancelling flights (ahem no UAH home games) and their conference booted them again, probably due to poor logistics ($) and a poor record. I could see them throwing in the towel.

Others have more info than me, but they need a massive investment to be taken seriously now. If they survive, they’ll need to get a coach and recruits good enough to thrive as well as teams and a conference interested in playing them. Otherwise it’s kicking the can down the road. A modern, on-site arena funded and in the works is the easiest thing I can think of. There may be a pile of smaller things.

I’m guessing the previous funds were just enough to survive. This go around needs to be different. I hope it is.
    Last edited by slowe; 05-26-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

If the goal is met, what type of numbers will they have left for players? Players can't really be sitting around right now waiting to see what happens. They need to be out there selling themselves to see if they can latch on with another program, whether it is D-I or D-III. And with Long Island University looking to fill their roster, there are spots out there.
      To the point that these guys aren't just going to sit around waiting to see what happens, UAH's highest scoring forward announced he was transferring to UML before this occurred, and now two more have already announced their landing spots: Defenseman Hickey to ASU and Forward Izyk to BC:

https://***********/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...74491296903170

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
        To the point that these guys aren't just going to sit around waiting to see what happens, UAH's highest scoring forward announced he was transferring to UML before this occurred, and now two more have already announced their landing spots: Defenseman Hickey to ASU and Forward Izyk to BC:

https://***********/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...74491296903170
        And I don't blame them one bit.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Spitting Chiclets just tweeted to support the gofund me. That may give it a big boost.

Comment

And I believe this was the same argument used the last time the program was axed and they raised funds to save the program. So if the funds raised back then were to make the program self-sustaining, was there a mismanagement of funds?
            A measly mill won't make the program self-sustaining. Not even close. Out of the $100MM dropped on Penn St, tens of it would have been to make it self-sustaining.

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
            UAH to BC is a no-brain move for a player whether or not the program is being dumped.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

This might buy them a year... a year that they might not win a single game in.

Comment

UAH not being in a conference in 2021-22 might hold people back from donating.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  The end is near, no matter how you slice it.

Comment

Ferris hockey mulls future without Huntsville

https://www.bigrapidsnews.com/sports...e-15292775.php

“To me it was a surprise, I hadn’t heard anything about it until the release came out,” Ferris coach Bob Daniels said. “My reaction is I’m sadden to see them drop the program. I thought there was a possibility they could have gotten into the (new) CCHA, but they needed to invest a little into their program.”

Interesting. First comment I think I’ve seen from another school admitting that UAH had a shot at the nCCHA. Maybe an outside shot, but still. Who votes on league memberships? Athletic Directors I assume? I’d have to think coaches provide significant input. Far too little and definitely too late. Even if the program is saved, I’m sure that would reduce any odds of admittance greatly.

Comment

I am surprised Bob Daniels is still coaching

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                        From the fundraiser page it states:

“We have already had alumni, booster club members, and life-time supporters setup with large individual donations and commit to donating annually to make sure the program is self-sustaining for the long-term. For short term we are looking to raise $500,000 of the 1 million via this Go Fund Me account. If the required funds are raised, UAH has agreed to create an advisory board consisting of hockey alumni, local business leaders and major donors to help turn UAH Hockey into a world class hockey program.“
                        The statement about the school committing to come to the table if the funds are raised is remarkable given what has unfolded here. Was the school-wide budget crunch so severe, or so instant, that the plug need to get pulled on hockey before one last ultimatum was given to donors?

I would love to see UAH make it, but what will be left to save if the premature cancellation has inflicted damage to its appeal to a conference, or made recruiting/retention even more difficult than it is? In that vein, some of the reported reasons for the cancellation "We were told we didn't want to be in the hockey business" (see: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ett-Worked.php) will need to be walked back.

Comment

Looks like they are up to $127k

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            Certainly possible, if not likely. But who knows, maybe they will experience a "Donor ex machina" moment like Sweet Briar did 5 years ago. Different context, but that college couldn't raise money until the board and president tried to close it, and then $25 million came out of the woodwork in a couple of months.

Comment

Maybe the Nanooks need to suck it up and play half their schedule against NCAA schools and the other half against western Canadian schools and enjoy having hockey.
                              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                                Maybe the Nanooks need to suck it up and play half their schedule against NCAA schools and the other half against western Canadian schools and enjoy having hockey.
                                They can’t under NCAA rules.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X