Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    But it's got to be done if you want D1 hockey to grow. Gotta prime the pump. If you don't care about college hockey growth, about more opportunities for kids, about improved competition, then don't travel.
    I am of two minds about expansion. I would like the game to grow, but the timing is terrible financially unless it is bankrolled by a donor. Even before COVID, tuition was too high across the board to be able to undertake these projects at most schools.

I am also a little skeptical about the calls for expansion due to a larger talent pool. I have seen no small amount of offensively-challenged DI teams the last few years. The level of skating appears better, but maybe that's negated the space needed to create scoring chances. I wonder what the stats say about that aspect of the product.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      NMU loses 2 home games against UAH, it’s not likely they’d swap those for a road trip to Fairbanks. That would give NMU only 12 home and 16 away.
      Kind of like ASU now having 12 home games & 20 road after HC reneged on their return trip ASU games.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        I am of two minds about expansion. I would like the game to grow, but the timing is terrible financially unless it is bankrolled by a donor. Even before COVID, tuition was too high across the board to be able to undertake these projects at most schools.

I am also a little skeptical about the calls for expansion due to a larger talent pool. I have seen no small amount of offensively-challenged DI teams the last few years. The level of skating appears better, but maybe that's negated the space needed to create scoring chances. I wonder what the stats say about that aspect of the product.
        Inflation corrected tuition is the same as in the 1970's.
        You could be correct on the remainder.

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Inflation corrected tuition is the same as in the 1970's.
          This article reaches a different conclusion--inflation-adjusted tuition levels are still 2 to 3 times higher than in 1969: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/avera...122000732.html . I think it is also relevant that the cost of attendance for many schools has grown to well exceed the caps on federally subsidized student loans during that period. My only point is that I am not sure there is room for tuition to grow much further in the current environment, even pre-covid, which will necessarily impact hockey expansion and athletic spending.

Comment

Kind of like ASU now having 12 home games & 20 road after HC reneged on their return trip ASU games.
            A conference will keep home and away games even.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              A conference will keep home and away games even.
              I pointed out the risks to him of being both an independent and a geographic outlier but he still complains about it in every thread.

Hope to see you in BG this year.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                Isn't that weird?

Just off the top of my head - some of the powers that be at UAH have been trying to drop hockey for awhile. Maybe COVID, plus being dropped by the WCHA - or CCHA 2.0 - gave them just the right excuse to drop. I will miss them.
                Most of those PtB are gone. We have a new university president with no emotional ties to the program who doesn't have Lou Lamoriello's cell phone number that is also facing, at the best of my back-of-the-envelop calculations, about $5MM in a 2020-21 shortfall.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                  I pointed out the risks to him of being both an independent and a geographic outlier but he still complains about it in every thread.

I didn't even bother trying to explain haha

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Most of those PtB are gone. We have a new university president with no emotional ties to the program who doesn't have Lou Lamoriello's cell phone number that is also facing, at the best of my back-of-the-envelop calculations, about $5MM in a 2020-21 shortfall.

GFM
                    ouch.
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                      This article reaches a different conclusion--inflation-adjusted tuition levels are still 2 to 3 times higher than in 1969: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/avera...122000732.html . I think it is also relevant that the cost of attendance for many schools has grown to well exceed the caps on federally subsidized student loans during that period. My only point is that I am not sure there is room for tuition to grow much further in the current environment, even pre-covid, which will necessarily impact hockey expansion and athletic spending.
                      CPI is known to underestimate inflation. In fact they only measure prices of certain goods. The actual definition of inflation is expansion of the various forms of money supply.
                      But I think you are correct about tuition increases.

Comment

I guess I can rag on, but it gets irritating to me to have people say over & over your arena isn't good enough to meet conference standards, how you should pay for budget poor schools to travel & play you, how you get a break in pairwise because you don't play conference championships, how you get a break in pairwise because you only schedule mediocre teams, how your team is made up of goons with no finesse nor speed, your team plays across 4 time zones numerous times but too bad the favor can't be returned,how your team should pay higher conference entrance fees because they are a P5 school, which is corrupt, part of the corrupt. I guess I can rag on. Maybe the teams that got dumped on by WCHA should have ragged on a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
                          I didn't even bother trying to explain haha
                          Very cute, just precious haha.

Comment

Sorry to see them go.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I guess I can rag on, but it gets irritating to me to have people say over & over your arena isn't good enough to meet conference standards, how you should pay for budget poor schools to travel & play you, how you get a break in pairwise because you don't play conference championships, how you get a break in pairwise because you only schedule mediocre teams, how your team is made up of goons with no finesse nor speed, your team plays across 4 time zones numerous times but too bad the favor can't be returned,how your team should pay higher conference entrance fees because they are a P5 school, which is corrupt, part of the corrupt. I guess I can rag on. Maybe the teams that got dumped on by WCHA should have ragged on a bit more.
                              Nobody owes you anything. And it's ironic to hear you expect travel favors in a thread regarding a team that just folded in part because other teams didn't want to travel there.

And your arena still isn't good enough to meet conference standards. So go build one, join the Nachos, and get the last laugh.

Comment

Nobody owes you anything. And it's ironic to hear you expect travel favors in a thread regarding a team that just folded in part because other teams didn't want to travel there.

And your arena still isn't good enough to meet conference standards. So go build one, join the Nachos, and get the last laugh.
                                Uppity newbies! 😂 With a PeeWee House League rink!

Comment

Working...
                                X