Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    They can’t under NCAA rules.
    What rule? What I read is that teams are limited to a 34 game limit, except for stated exemptions. I don't see anything that states teams can't play games against Canadian schools if they are counted against the 34 game limit.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      What rule? What I read is that teams are limited to a 34 game limit, except for stated exemptions. I don't see anything that states teams can't play games against Canadian schools if they are counted against the 34 game limit.

Sean
      Other than exhibitions, they have to play against NCAA Division I teams.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
        I think you a correct, but I think another rule that creates a practical issue is the NCAA limit on games taking place in foreign countries--as I read the rule, a team can only make 1 trip to play in Canada per year. Some creative scheduling or an extended trip would be required to get more than two games in. And I don't know what limits the Canadian rules have about its about colleges playing US teams home or abroad; even if unrestricted, how many Canadian teams will be interested in mostly away games, unless the US school covers/defrays travel costs?
        Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 05-27-2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Other than exhibitions, they have to play against NCAA Division I teams.
          Maybe that is a conference rule, but I think the NCAA permits games against Division III opposition. This issue has come up with the surprise entry of LIU into Division I hockey--prior to the UAH situation, there were not many open dates for DI opponents and it was expected they needed to schedule some DIII opponents.

Comment

Not hockey specific but...

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020...mpression=true

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Terrible situation and UConn is not the only school with issues. It was discussed a little bit on another thread about whether hockey programs were at risk of being cut. As I said there, chasing big-time football money is a dangerous game, especially in the Northeast.

Comment

Didn't Penn State and ASU fill out their schedule with non-D1/II hockey schools their first year/two in the NCAA? And isn't Simon Fraser an NCAA school?
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Didn't Penn State and ASU fill out their schedule with non-D1/II hockey schools their first year/two in the NCAA? And isn't Simon Fraser an NCAA school?
                  Simon Fraser is NCAA generally, but I believe their men's hockey is currently a club team and not NCAA.

Comment

You have to play so many games against D-I competition to be tournament eligible (20??). I believe outside of that you can play club, D-III or Canadian teams. I believe the NCAA allows an exhibition game or two that does not count against your 34 game limit. Any games over that and they count.

At least this is how I recall it when UAH went through one of their independent seasons in 2010-2013.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      You have to play so many games against D-I competition to be tournament eligible (20??). I believe outside of that you can play club, D-III or Canadian teams. I believe the NCAA allows an exhibition game or two that does not count against your 34 game limit. Any games over that and they count.

At least this is how I recall it when UAH went through one of their independent seasons in 2010-2013.
                      Thanks!! I couldn't recall the number of games to remain tourney eligible, but I thought there was a LOT of wiggle room. I thought I recalled ASU playing a good number of D-III and ACHA teams their inaugural NCAA season.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Tournament eligibility wouldn't really matter

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Thanks!! I couldn't recall the number of games to remain tourney eligible, but I thought there was a LOT of wiggle room. I thought I recalled ASU playing a good number of D-III and ACHA teams their inaugural NCAA season.
                          ASU played 17 games against Canadian, DII/III and junior hockey teams their first season and another 25 games against D-I opponents. Yes, 42 games their first season.
                          https://www.uscho.com/scoreboard/ari...key/2015-2016/
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                            Terrible situation and UConn is not the only school with issues. It was discussed a little bit on another thread about whether hockey programs were at risk of being cut. As I said there, chasing big-time football money is a dangerous game, especially in the Northeast.
                            Ya UConn screwed up from day 1. Between building a stadium in Hartford, suing BC, Miami, VT and the ACC, and then all the hirings/firings, it’s been ineptitude for 20 years in the athletic department. Hopefully hockey isn’t the sport that has to pay the price.

Hopefully, they make the smart choice and cut football or at least drop it down to FCS. If they look at Northeastern as an example, they’ll be able to see how much cutting football saved them in the long run and allowed them to invest in other sports like hockey allowing them to succeed.

Comment

Paul Pasqualoni, Bob Diaco, Randy Edsall 2.0...man they drove that thing right into the ****ter. Not to mention how Calhoun's career ended and the Kevin Ollie fiasco.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                                So if they do get the $1 million, what does that buy them? Is it one season then another GoFundMe next summer, or will that keep the program afloat a little longer... or maybe long enough for the University's athletic department to get its finances back on track?
                                A year.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X