Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

The previous capital campaign was on the same scale and convinced the school to go on. The campaign failed because people didn't live up to their pledges. (I was one. I was unemployed. I have no issues with failing.). GoFundMe will ensure that the money is in place right away. At the same time, it's painful to watch my alma mater's hockey program (I no longer claim part ownership) reduced to panhandling for operating capital.

That said, getting the $1MM probably gets the team into the CCHA. Why? In uncertain times, eight teams are better than seven, regardless of their viability.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      ASU played 17 games against Canadian, DII/III and junior hockey teams their first season and another 25 games against D-I opponents. Yes, 42 games their first season.
      https://www.uscho.com/scoreboard/ari...key/2015-2016/
      IF ASU had played 42 games it would have in all likelihood violated the NCAA limit. However, a look at the USCHO schedule for ASU shows it has several games listed twice. CHN has the correct schedule of 38 games: 25 vs DI teams, 5 vs club teams, 2 vs a D2 team, 2 vs a D3 team, 2 vs a US national team and 2 vs a Canadian team. With exemptions this meets the NCAA limit for games.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Sorry about this, Geof. I know the program is near and dear to your heart. This must be terribly difficult for you to have to go through. Again.

I disagree about the $1MM getting them into the nCCHA. Because it brings no true stability to the program. It just buys them another year. Ten or twenty mill might bring some long-term stability, but since that hasn't happened over the past decade, why would it now? Money produced with a gun to one's head is always suspect. Unfortunately, it seems like for years this program has either been on a respirator, or on a bed in a room with a respirator so there is no delay in treatment. No entity can survive longterm under those conditions.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Players are already moving. Promising freshman forward Liam Izyk going to Boston College. Would assume he is eligible immediately if the program folds.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
            Players are already moving. Promising freshman forward Liam Izyk going to Boston College. Would assume he is eligible immediately if the program folds.
            As I read the rules, he is free to play for BC this season even if the program is rescued. The public announcement of the discontinuation triggers the free transfer and there is no corresponding provision that the school can claw the player back if the program is reinstated. (See "14.5.5.2.6 Discontinued/Nonsponsored Sport Exception": https://www.ncaapublications.com/pro...0.pdf#page=200).

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
              I disagree about the $1MM getting them into the nCCHA.
              There had to be a reason why UAH was not part of the initial CCHA group. Hard to see that changing unless big boosters come forward. It really is an unfortunate situation, I think most of us want to see NCAA hockey get a good foothold in the Southeast.

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

The program can still be saved please donate. If not, you'll get your money back:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/uah-hocke...radition-alive

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                    There had to be a reason why UAH was not part of the initial CCHA group. Hard to see that changing unless big boosters come forward. It really is an unfortunate situation, I think most of us want to see NCAA hockey get a good foothold in the Southeast.
                    nccha are uppity hicks who coundn't afford or pass the dress code at the hotel diner.
                    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 05-27-2020, 09:52 PM.
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                      Nobody owes you anything. And it's ironic to hear you expect travel favors in a thread regarding a team that just folded in part because other teams didn't want to travel there.

And your arena still isn't good enough to meet conference standards. So go build one, join the Nachos, and get the last laugh.
                      Never asked for favors, just equal treatment, which it appears the Alaska teams & UAH didn't get. So show me the conference standards for arenas. I see NCAA standards which have been met. But I definitely agree the dismal arena needs massive improvement which is underway.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        It must be nice to roll through life with the budgetary understanding of a second-semester sophomore marketing major.

GFM
                        Pretty snide, uncalled for comment, but I understand your frustration with this situation and I am very unhappy with this outcome of the UAH program.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Yes, HC not traveling to AZ this season is on them. It's not the first time in the history of hockey games had to be moved to another season. And it's not like missing two home games against HC is going to destroy your budget for the year. Ticket sales is not what is paying the bills for ASU's hockey program. Get on the phone with LIU. I'm sure they are available.

As for the rest of the games and where they are played, you guys make your own schedule. If you don't want 20 road games, don't schedule 20 road games. It's the dream scenario. Just sit back and wait for teams to sign up for games in AZ. Some teams in the WCHA just lost four games on their schedule with UAH's departure (Tech included in that list). But since they are in a conference, the league steps in and fixes the problem. As an independent you control your own destiny but you also have to solve your own problems. Gotta take the bad with the good. If you want a stable, balanced slate of home/road games every season, tell your staff to use the now open weekend to fill out and submit conference applications.
                          You are correct & right on. I am looking forward to the passionate MTU - ASU series, God willing this season happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            you have no idea how this all works, please spend some time learning
                            Great snide comment. I know how it works, & it's not growing beyond organically. If we want college hockey to grow then get out of the box. If we don't care then keep doing same old same old. But regardless, I believe we can agree we are passionate fans!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              What rule? What I read is that teams are limited to a 34 game limit, except for stated exemptions. I don't see anything that states teams can't play games against Canadian schools if they are counted against the 34 game limit.

Sean
                              ASU played 36 D1 games plus 5 exhibition games in China last year.

Comment

• Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                                ASU played 36 D1 games plus 5 exhibition games in China last year.
                                Anybody caught shoplifting?
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X