Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    I guess I can rag on, but it gets irritating to me to have people say over & over your arena isn't good enough to meet conference standards, how you should pay for budget poor schools to travel & play you, how you get a break in pairwise because you don't play conference championships, how you get a break in pairwise because you only schedule mediocre teams, how your team is made up of goons with no finesse nor speed, your team plays across 4 time zones numerous times but too bad the favor can't be returned,how your team should pay higher conference entrance fees because they are a P5 school, which is corrupt, part of the corrupt. I guess I can rag on. Maybe the teams that got dumped on by WCHA should have ragged on a bit more.
    I hate to break it to you but college hockey isn’t known for having fans who think outside the box. Plus ASU offers a value prop that no other team in the sport can offer, and that threatens some of the traditionalists. You’ll be just fine in the long run. UNLV will hear a lot of the same noise if/when they get going.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Inflation corrected tuition is the same as in the 1970's.
      You could be correct on the remainder.
      What's your source for that? This ran counter to everything that I've read over the last 10 years, so I did a quick search, and it looks like the rate of tuition increases is 2X that of inflation:

https://www.in2013dollars.com/Colleg...rice-inflation

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        This article reaches a different conclusion--inflation-adjusted tuition levels are still 2 to 3 times higher than in 1969: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/avera...122000732.html . I think it is also relevant that the cost of attendance for many schools has grown to well exceed the caps on federally subsidized student loans during that period. My only point is that I am not sure there is room for tuition to grow much further in the current environment, even pre-covid, which will necessarily impact hockey expansion and athletic spending.
        I see that you've already replied. I should have specified that I was trying to make roughly the same point: tuition in general is overpriced, and universities are going to be forced to hold or lower tuition in the future, or see enrollment plummet. That can only add to the financial difficulties that universities are facing.

I know that at the DII and DIII levels, football is viewed by universities as a way to increase enrollment/lure male students to attend. Not sure that works at Divison 1 for hockey though. My thought being could there be some (albeit remote) hope that a group of geographically closer smaller schools try to mimic the early Atlantic Hockey model, or go no scholarships, and view the sport as a way to get some more bodies on campus?

Comment

But it's got to be done if you want D1 hockey to grow. Gotta prime the pump. If you don't care about college hockey growth, about more opportunities for kids, about improved competition, then don't travel. Obviously has to be balanced with budgets and maybe a D1aa division makes sense for those with limited finances?
          you have no idea how this all works, please spend some time learning
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Kind of like ASU now having 12 home games & 20 road after HC reneged on their return trip ASU games.
            Yes, HC not traveling to AZ this season is on them. It's not the first time in the history of hockey games had to be moved to another season. And it's not like missing two home games against HC is going to destroy your budget for the year. Ticket sales is not what is paying the bills for ASU's hockey program. Get on the phone with LIU. I'm sure they are available.

As for the rest of the games and where they are played, you guys make your own schedule. If you don't want 20 road games, don't schedule 20 road games. It's the dream scenario. Just sit back and wait for teams to sign up for games in AZ. Some teams in the WCHA just lost four games on their schedule with UAH's departure (Tech included in that list). But since they are in a conference, the league steps in and fixes the problem. As an independent you control your own destiny but you also have to solve your own problems. Gotta take the bad with the good. If you want a stable, balanced slate of home/road games every season, tell your staff to use the now open weekend to fill out and submit conference applications.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I guess I can rag on, but it gets irritating to me to have people say over & over your arena isn't good enough to meet conference standards, how you should pay for budget poor schools to travel & play you, how you get a break in pairwise because you don't play conference championships, how you get a break in pairwise because you only schedule mediocre teams, how your team is made up of goons with no finesse nor speed, your team plays across 4 time zones numerous times but too bad the favor can't be returned,how your team should pay higher conference entrance fees because they are a P5 school, which is corrupt, part of the corrupt. I guess I can rag on. Maybe the teams that got dumped on by WCHA should have ragged on a bit more.
              It must be nice to roll through life with the budgetary understanding of a second-semester sophomore marketing major.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

CHN article: Huntsville's Corbett Worked At It to the Very End

Comment

I Know I'm a Goofball, But I Work My But Off should be the title of Mike Corbett's biography.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    Sorry to see them go.
                    Was on my list of road trips. Long list not short.

Comment

Boosters and Alumni have made a last ditch effort to save the team by this Friday. A GoFundMe has been started, and they have already raised $34,000.

They're on a mission from God.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Seems highly unlikely but good luck to them!

Comment

Hope it works, have always admired UAH's program #GoChargers
                          "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

It seems unlikely that they will get to the goal of $1M.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I donated. I hope also that it makes a difference.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

They are currently at $72K even though it hasn't been very long. There's a non-zero chance they reach the goal

Comment

Working...
                                X