Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
    To that point- Huntsville has won the SPHL championship the last two years, and their average attendance has gone up to go along with it. UAH has won a total of 10 games the last two seasons. So if I'm picking one or the other, I'm likely to go with the pro game.
    I don't disagree. I am just saying that there is interest in hockey in Huntsville. They have a base to build upon.
    “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
    – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
    when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Yep, everyone likes a winner and UAH hasn't done much of that in awhile.
      If you take a look at Tech, NMU, Bowling Green, Minnesota State...you may notice some similarities that contributed to their struggles prior to all their rises to be consistent winners. UAH has had a similar struggle as well. Short of a long term commitment to winning resources, it’ll be a tough road no matter who’s at the helm in Huntsville. And in the short term, it’ll be tough to answer questions about conference and even if a recruit asks, will I be able to be hear for 4 years.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Yeah, but there won't be a team without a coaching staff. Donors/advisors might be unhappy, but they are not going down to the rink to run practices. I can't see them asking for the school to can the whole staff at this point and just adding more instability to the situation.

If you wanted change to show progress, make a minor change, but just keep the program moving forward. Don't keep blowing it up every week and then try to pick up the pieces the next week and try to convince everyone that it's all fine. If you don't think players were looking for an exit last week, what do you think is in their heads now. Run, don't walk.
        Problem is now they'll have to sit for a year. If they had bolted last week, some believe they'll be playing this year (if college hockey is played this year). This just looks like even less stability to me.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I have to think that was forced by the donors. Gfmorris has hinted at unhappiness with the current regime, and if the donors are going to pay for the majority of the next season, then I'd think they are effectively running the show.
          So have the donors just de facto privatized the UAH hockey program?
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

UAH announced this afternoon that Lance West will stay on board as acting head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
              Problem is now they'll have to sit for a year.
              I don't believe that is true. Once UAH formally announced they were dropping hockey, the players were free to talk with other teams and can still freely move without restrictions even though the program has been reinstated.

The same thing is currently happening with BGSU baseball. The program got dropped but they got supporters to pledge (not yet fully received) just shy of $1.5M for the program over the next three years and the school brought baseball back. However the players can still leave and play elsewhere. That's the risk of blow the program up first, look for how to save it second.

Wonder how many schools will try this now before one of them doesn't find the financial support and they say "Shoot, our bluff didn't work. Now the sport is gone..."
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

UAH loses another dman, Bailey Newton off to Univ. of W. Ontario (USports) in Canada:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/trans...ontario/422233

Also lost an announced incoming recruit to LIU, Connor Szmul:

https://twitter.com/ep_transfers/sta...93855625064450

Pretty tough day!
                Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 06-03-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Predictions on when they fold for good?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    I don't believe that is true. Once UAH formally announced they were dropping hockey, the players were free to talk with other teams and can still freely move without restrictions even though the program has been reinstated.

The same thing is currently happening with BGSU baseball. The program got dropped but they got supporters to pledge (not yet fully received) just shy of $1.5M for the program over the next three years and the school brought baseball back. However the players can still leave and play elsewhere. That's the risk of blow the program up first, look for how to save it second.

Wonder how many schools will try this now before one of them doesn't find the financial support and they say "Shoot, our bluff didn't work. Now the sport is gone..."
                    With everything going on, we are more likely to see more schools cutting financially unsustainable athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Predictions on when they fold for good?
                      UAH won't play as an independent again. It's a conference or bust.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Has there been any statement from Coach Corbett? Is he still into this?

Edit: I just saw he and some of his staff have resigned.
                        Last edited by altazo; 06-04-2020, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          UAH won't play as an independent again. It's a conference or bust.

GFM
                          That doesn't sound good for them. The nCCHA clearly doesn't want them and I don't see how what has happened this spring would endear UAH to them. Maybe they should rescind leaving the nWCHA and try recruiting LIU to the conference. They're in the western part of Long Island.
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                            That doesn't sound good for them. The nCCHA clearly doesn't want them and I don't see how what has happened this spring would endear UAH to them. Maybe they should rescind leaving the nWCHA and try recruiting LIU to the conference. They're in the western part of Long Island.
                            LIU, Arizona State and UAH, the Bermuda Triangle of college hockey. Poor Princeton, I believe they fall into that triangle.

Comment

• It's Alabama they have people who drive cars off of cliffs.
                              UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

• My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Working...
                                X