Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    If UAH doesn't use some of this sudden windfall to seed a dedicated "Charger Athletics Fund" with its own full-time manager, it will not achieve long-term financial stability and history will surely repeat itself...yet again.
    The only thing they have is the "Charger Club," which is supported by a PDF on their athletics website and little else as far as an online presence is concerned. I thought it was an all-sport support unit, but reading the PDF, it literally only supports the basketball teams. The previous AD intentionally deemphasized hockey in the fundraising materials, based on their performance, I guess it just went downhill from there.

Their WCHA contemporaries (Bemidji and LSSU, I'd estimate) at least have a real website with some information and a call to action. And support all of their programs to boot.

It's shameful.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

• Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
      The only thing they have is the "Charger Club," which is supported by a PDF on their athletics website and little else as far as an online presence is concerned...It's shameful.
      I read up on the Charger Club before I posted but didn't mention it because it was nothing more than a label for basketball season ticket packages. Nothing I'd like better than to see this latest cash infusion lead to UAH hockey becoming a stable, nationally relevant program. But IMO it likely will be nothing more than a band-aid unless and until the Athletics Dept. establishes a dedicated athletics fundraising capability and treats hockey as something other than a red-headed stepchild.
      Last edited by Split-N; 06-01-2020, 09:15 AM.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
        Those fares must have been super duper cheap to offset the cost of driving ~200 miles (one-way), not to mention the approx three hours of travel time (assuming Atlanta traffic was light). Take it from one who's been there a few times and has busted a travel budget sending other people there: HSV is a relatively small airport serving a relatively small city. Smaller airports have fewer commercial flights. The fewer the flights, the more expensive the fares. It's Airline Economics 101.
        The pricing of flights is related to supply & demand and to some extent ancillary costs such as gate fees, jet fuel pricing & labor rates.
        The supply to demand ratio was higher & fees lower in Huntsville than Atlanta at that time. This is Airline Economics 102
        Last edited by Sol Diablo; 06-01-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
          Is there anyone in the advancement/development staff who is dedicated to fundraising for the Athletics Department? It would be great if that person was listed among the Athletics Staff on the Athletics Website, so that people and organizations interested in supporting Athletics Teams would have a quick point of contact.
          Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          I don't think so.

GFM
          That's pretty telling from a very general point of view. Any institution that size that doesn't dedicate at least one employee to athletics fundraising just doesn't care about athletics in a basic way. They are ignoring the need to fundraise for specific purposes. If the U won't bother raising the necessary funds, it falls to the fans to do it. Historically, it appears, they haven't bothered either. The only way I see UAH hockey staying around is for the advisory fan board to have to completely take over fundraising and to actually be successful at it. That won't be easy.

And then there's the pesky conference issue. Some say that raising 3/4 mill in a few days shows commitment. I say it shows desperation. Not having any dedicated fundraisers and cancelling the program every few years show the commitment the U has, in my opinion.
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            Not having any dedicated fundraisers and cancelling the program every few years show the commitment the U has, in my opinion.
            I think the bigger problem, as another poster already mentioned, maybe not in this thread, is that HUNTSVILLE wants hockey. The U of A system in general does not. U of A needed to make budget cuts this year. Is the state going to cut the budget of Alabama football or UAH hockey? UAH hockey quickly filters to the top of the list. So one of the long term solutions either needs to be getting the U of A system in step with what UAH wants, or make sure that a much larger portion of UAH hockey's budget comes from sources that UAH controls (alumni, local donors, etc), not the U of A statewide system.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              I think the bigger problem, as another poster already mentioned, maybe not in this thread, is that HUNTSVILLE wants hockey. The U of A system in general does not. U of A needed to make budget cuts this year. Is the state going to cut the budget of Alabama football or UAH hockey? UAH hockey quickly filters to the top of the list. So one of the long term solutions either needs to be getting the U of A system in step with what UAH wants, or make sure that a much larger portion of UAH hockey's budget comes from sources that UAH controls (alumni, local donors, etc), not the U of A statewide system.
              Astute observation & analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                That's pretty telling from a very general point of view. Any institution that size that doesn't dedicate at least one employee to athletics fundraising just doesn't care about athletics in a basic way. They are ignoring the need to fundraise for specific purposes. If the U won't bother raising the necessary funds, it falls to the fans to do it. Historically, it appears, they haven't bothered either. The only way I see UAH hockey staying around is for the advisory fan board to have to completely take over fundraising and to actually be successful at it. That won't be easy.

And then there's the pesky conference issue. Some say that raising 3/4 mill in a few days shows commitment. I say it shows desperation. Not having any dedicated fundraisers and cancelling the program every few years show the commitment the U has, in my opinion.
                Thankfully the ****heel AD EJ Brophy is gone. He absolutely ****ed this program and all of Athletics.

This fundraiser was completely different than last time. Last time, it essentially felt like, "Oh, Lou Lamoriello called and said that we should keep it." This is different. But yes, if the school doesn't let the alumni lead on this, it's over after this season.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Huntsville TV sports reporter tweeted this. Anybody heard anything else on this?

Comment

I have to think that was forced by the donors. Gfmorris has hinted at unhappiness with the current regime, and if the donors are going to pay for the majority of the next season, then I'd think they are effectively running the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I have to think that was forced by the donors. Gfmorris has hinted at unhappiness with the current regime, and if the donors are going to pay for the majority of the next season, then I'd think they are effectively running the show.
                      This was my sentiment as well.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                        Huntsville TV sports reporter tweeted this. Anybody heard anything else on this?

Huntsville television station article stating the same thing:
                        https://www.waff.com/2020/06/03/uah-...staff-resigns/
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Yeah, but there won't be a team without a coaching staff. Donors/advisors might be unhappy, but they are not going down to the rink to run practices. I can't see them asking for the school to can the whole staff at this point and just adding more instability to the situation.

If you wanted change to show progress, make a minor change, but just keep the program moving forward. Don't keep blowing it up every week and then try to pick up the pieces the next week and try to convince everyone that it's all fine. If you don't think players were looking for an exit last week, what do you think is in their heads now. Run, don't walk.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Thankfully the ****heel AD EJ Brophy is gone. He absolutely ****ed this program and all of Athletics.

This fundraiser was completely different than last time. Last time, it essentially felt like, "Oh, Lou Lamoriello called and said that we should keep it." This is different. But yes, if the school doesn't let the alumni lead on this, it's over after this season.

GFM
                            Last year I drove down to UAH for a weekend series with Northern, and to say the crowd was sparse would be an understatement. But right after the game, the Huntsville Havoc were playing and they darn near filled that arena. You can't tell me there aren't any hockey fans in that city, and the folks sure stepped up to keep UAH Hockey going. Hopefully, some new blood at the helm can get some excitement going and they can stay in the conference. I like those deep south trips.
                            “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                            – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                            when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                              Last year I drove down to UAH for a weekend series with Northern, and to say the crowd was sparse would be an understatement. But right after the game, the Huntsville Havoc were playing and they darn near filled that arena. You can't tell me there aren't any hockey fans in that city, and the folks sure stepped up to keep UAH Hockey going. Hopefully, some new blood at the helm can get some excitement going and they can stay in the conference. I like those deep south trips.
                              To that point- Huntsville has won the SPHL championship the last two years, and their average attendance has gone up to go along with it. UAH has won a total of 10 games the last two seasons. So if I'm picking one or the other, I'm likely to go with the pro game.

Comment

Yep, everyone likes a winner and UAH hasn't done much of that in awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X