Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    It's going to be pretty hard to recruit good players and staff when the program is going to be "cancelled" every 5-10 years.
    I 100% agree.

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    I can tell based on the change in your writing style that you’re jacked up. Good to see. :-)
    Yep, I'm fired up about this program for the first time in years. More to come.

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
    Does that include Josh Latta, who transferred to Mass Lowell in April before UAH (temporarily) discontinued the program? Will he be eligible for 2020-21 or have to sit a year?
    That's an interesting question that UAHstatman might can answer since he's in with the AD.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      If the hockey alumni leadership can raise well over a million dollars (I have assurances that it's there) in under a week, I think they can raise the 1.5-2 mill it'll require year over year to make this program viable. I think that you wait for the school to approve things, get any on-ice changes that might be made, and start the fundraising for 2021-22 come September or so when we know when games might be played.

Also, there's that pesky conference situation to fret over. I've said it before today: from a PR perspective, it would be tough for the nCCHA to say "no, you're not committed" to a program that raised $500k in less than four days purely through word of mouth ... DURING A PANDEMIC WHERE UNEMPLOYMENT IS >15%.

There are tons of headwinds. You tack the sailboat once at a time. I think that everyone here knows that this is a big first step but merely that.

I bring up unemployment for this reason: in 2011-12, they did a three-year pledge campaign that netted $500k (again, less than what these hockey alumni did in just four days; the GFM is at $510k+ right now). I pledged $5000. I gave $1000 in the first year. I was largely an unemployed graduate student during that time. (Boy did that suck.) There's a reason that I didn't give the other $4k. Apparently I was among the 80% or so that didn't live up to their pledge.

Taking the money right now makes it work. The money is there, right now, and can be given to the school. Taso and Sheldon can take Dawson to the bank and ask the teller to show the man the receipts. That's more than 5x what EJ Brophy "achieved" in three years ... in a week.

Is it easier to get a big bump right now because everyone desperately wants to save the program? Yes, absolutely. But BG has pulled this off before, and I am willing to bet that our people will talk to their people.

I only see your line of argument if the nCCHA tells us no. At that point, I agree. There is no reasonable prospect on the horizon for another league opening for UAH.

GFM
      Excellent points. I didn't realize Brophy was that poor at fundraising.

Comment

• Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Is there anyone in the advancement/development staff who is dedicated to fundraising for the Athletics Department? It would be great if that person was listed among the Athletics Staff on the Athletics Website, so that people and organizations interested in supporting Athletics Teams would have a quick point of contact.

In other news: It has been six years since I last posted on this website. For whatever that's worth.
        UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
        2006 Time Person of the Year
        Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
        It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Beyond money and institutional commitment, UAH needs conference opponents located within reasonable travel distances. Not a likely prospect in SEC country, even in the best of times. Compounding the travel issue is the fact that Huntsville (HSV) is a relatively expensive airport to fly into or out of.
          Many teams fly into Nashville, 2 hours away. Not much different that the 1 1/2 hr from Minneapolis to Mankato, or the 1:15 from Detroit to Bowling Green.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Hey buddy [Mike and I used to broadcast games together in the early 2000s.]

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
            Is there anyone in the advancement/development staff who is dedicated to fundraising for the Athletics Department? It would be great if that person was listed among the Athletics Staff on the Athletics Website, so that people and organizations interested in supporting Athletics Teams would have a quick point of contact.
            I don't think so.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
              I presume this would require a waiver to the NCAA which would likely be granted? (Of course the NCAA rarely does things how they’re supposed to be done)
              No, if the program shuts down... which they did, its immediate.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

I don't think so.

GFM
                again, would suggest reaching out to UML.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

I don't think so.

GFM
                  Hey hey hey.

I found out that there is a person, but they fundraise for six or seven different parts of the University.

In my personal and professional opinion, using some of this newly raised money to hire such a person in the Athletics department would be prudent spending, and could ultimately lead to the long term stability of the program.

The first step to not having to do this again in 10 years is taking development seriously.
                  UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                  2006 Time Person of the Year
                  Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                  It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Fourth player to bolt UAH to date, dman Max Coyle transfers to BGSU:

https://***********/ep_transfers/sta...74154126917632

UAH is going to need to replace an entire roster and be in competition with LIU for players.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                      ...I found out that there is a person, but they fundraise for six or seven different parts of the University.

In my personal and professional opinion, using some of this newly raised money to hire such a person in the Athletics department would be prudent spending, and could ultimately lead to the long term stability of the program.

The first step to not having to do this again in 10 years is taking development seriously.
                      This is really telling. Even small colleges generally have a Director of Athletics Development (or something similar) to plan for, solicit, and coordinate everything from random cash gifts to planned giving, bequests, etc. If UAH doesn't use some of this sudden windfall to seed a dedicated "Charger Athletics Fund" with its own full-time manager, it will not achieve long-term financial stability and history will surely repeat itself...yet again.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Many teams fly into Nashville, 2 hours away. Not much different that the 1 1/2 hr from Minneapolis to Mankato, or the 1:15 from Detroit to Bowling Green.
                        I used to drive from Atlanta to Huntsville to get the cheaper business flights. But that was a few years back, maybe pricing has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          No, if the program shuts down... which they did, its immediate.
                          The first time this happened Clarke Saunders transferred to UND and was eligible Immediately.
                          "My greatest achievement."
                          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

UAH hockey.
                            sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                              I used to drive from Atlanta to Huntsville to get the cheaper business flights. But that was a few years back, maybe pricing has changed.
                              It’s at least another hour & 1/2 to Atlanta vs Huntsville, and that’s if Atlanta traffic is being nice.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                                Those fares must have been super duper cheap to offset the cost of driving ~200 miles (one-way), not to mention the approx three hours of travel time (assuming Atlanta traffic was light). Take it from one who's been there a few times and has busted a travel budget sending other people there: HSV is a relatively small airport serving a relatively small city. Smaller airports have fewer commercial flights. The fewer the flights, the more expensive the fares. It's Airline Economics 101.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X