Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
    2. Does anyone know if a grad transfer goaltender is still in the works for this upcoming season? If so, any guess on who it is?
    Yes it is. I thought it was all wrapped up a month ago but I have not seen it posted by the team anywhere so I'm not going to post the details here. If anyone can confirm that this is now public knowledge, feel free to post it. Who knows, maybe it is still tied up in paperwork. I'm sure nothing is happening as fast as it should right now.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *

We can only assume COVID-19 gummed up the works on getting the transfer finalized. I'd think it would only be a couple more weeks now that everything is opening up again (rightly or wrongly).

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        Would someone explain the paint store thing to me? It's okay if your response is "no".

GFM
        once upon a time, we had a student hockey fan who had a job at the local Sherwin Williams. lots of hockey people, fans, etc would frequent the store and much hockey talk ensued. he always had the inside track on what was going down with Tech's hockey program. hence - "what's the word out of the paint store?"
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          once upon a time, we had a student hockey fan who had a job at the local Sherwin Williams. lots of hockey people, fans, etc would frequent the store and much hockey talk ensued. he always had the inside track on what was going down with Tech's hockey program. hence - "what's the word out of the paint store?"
          Cool story! You painted a picture of it for me!.......sorry......couldn't help it.......

Comment

Mitch Meek transferring to Long Island University.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
              That's a bummer after the promise he showed his first year, but then for some reason maybe fell out of favor with the coaches or didn't play well in the current systems. I certainly don't think it was because Tech was suddenly exponentially better and he didn't have the skill to crack the line-up. But for whatever reason he rarely saw game time the last two years. I guess the Meek won't inherit the Earth... but may he'll get a piece of Long Island as a charter member of the Sharks. It will be interesting to see if Tech gives him a release or if he has to sit. That will be the first clue of why he wasn't playing much - Just wasn't good enough anymore or issues with the Tech coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                That's a bummer after the promise he showed his first year, but then for some reason maybe fell out of favor with the coaches or didn't play well in the current systems. I certainly don't think it was because Tech was suddenly exponentially better and he didn't have the skill to crack the line-up. But for whatever reason he rarely saw game time the last two years. I guess the Meek won't inherit the Earth... but may he'll get a piece of Long Island as a charter member of the Sharks. It will be interesting to see if Tech gives him a release or if he has to sit. That will be the first clue of why he wasn't playing much - Just wasn't good enough anymore or issues with the Tech coaching staff.
                I was under the impression that the NCAA determines if a player has to sit out a year. I didn't think the originating school (in this case Tech) has much of a say in the matter.

I thank Meek for his time and wish him all the best, as long as it isn't against Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                  I didn't think the originating school (in this case Tech) has much of a say in the matter.
                  Yes, Tech does have control if they don't give him a release because he played in Houghton last season. Then he sits like Gould at BGSU last season. One exception in recent history was Munson. He came from DU and started playing for Tech immediately. That was because he came the previous year from Vermont to DU but never played a game there. The NCAA doesn't care if you sit on the street or on a practice roster - just no game time. So he sat in Denver for a year, won a National Championship from the bench and then came to Houghton.

Comment

Yes, Tech does have control if they don't give him a release because he played in Houghton last season. Then he sits like Gould at BGSU last season. One exception in recent history was Munson. He came from DU and started playing for Tech immediately. That was because he came the previous year from Vermont to DU but never played a game there. The NCAA doesn't care if you sit on the street or on a practice roster - just no game time. So he sat in Denver for a year, won a National Championship from the bench and then came to Houghton.
                    its not about getting a release, to play immediately as a non-grad transfer, the player leaving must show that he was cut from the team or I think his scholarship was substantially cut. Something like that.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Meek is a grad transfer no release required to play immediately. That Meek was planning on transferring was discussed way back during the April JSH. Joe had apparently been making calls on Meek's behalf. Sounded like Meek wanted to stay close to Houghton because of a girlfriend.. Maybe they broke up and he got as far away as possible LOL.. Transferring was not a surprise. Going to LIU, that's a surprise. But best of luck to him. I hope it turns out well.

And SG is correct. There is no release as such for non grad transfers. It is all in the hands of the NCAA as to whether or not a play has to sit out a year or not. The player must show they were cut, or the scholarship was cut or reduced. Again Joe has addressed this several times over the past season answering questions about Gould..

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                        There is no release as such for non grad transfers. It is all in the hands of the NCAA as to whether or not a play has to sit out a year or not. The player must show they were cut, or the scholarship was cut or reduced. Again Joe has addressed this several times over the past season answering questions about Gould..
                        So how did Beretta get to play for Vermont without sitting a year? I'm fairly certain he wasn't a grad transfer, so maybe Joe "cut" his scholarship as a favor and it's not actually out of the coach's hands after all...

Comment

So how did Beretta get to play for Vermont without sitting a year? I'm fairly certain he wasn't a grad transfer, so maybe Joe "cut" his scholarship as a favor and it's not actually out of the coach's hands after all...
                          *shrugs* I guess you'd have to take that up with the NCAA since they've always been soooo consistent and transparent in their rulings. I guess they bought whatever story Beretta was selling and not Gould's. My opinion is largely that the NCAA has their collective heads up their behinds and they simply make it up as they go.

Is it possible that some backroom deal could be cut with a player. "We'll take away your schollie so you can play next year." And refuse to cut or reduce a scollie for another kid.. certainly possible. Everyone seems to be double dealing these days. No saints in college hockey. But there is no "release" that the team needs to give to a player and the NCAA.

Comment

Alec Broetzman the captain of the 2020-21 Huskies. Trenton Bliss and Eric Gotz will serve as alternate captains.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I could see Zach Noble ending up there too. His hometown is two hours away.

Comment

Mitch also had lasting problems with post-concussion after he suffered one. He struggled a lot to get back to 100% and never quite got there even with a lot of hard work. Always a great guy to talk to, he certainly wouldn't have been a problem in the locker room.

Comment

Working...
                                X