Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    They don't think they're gonna die Kep. You think those workers in the meat packing plants figured going to work was definitely going to kill them? No, they hope they'll be the lucky ones who don't get sick, or at least don't die, and frankly many don't even have a firm grasp on the risks anyway.
    Nobles County, Minnesota, the home of the JBS pork processing plant that saw the big spike a couple of weeks ago, has had two deaths thus far due to Covid, and if I'm not mistaken, both involved people residing in nursing homes. The five counties in Minnesota that immediately surround Nobles County have zero deaths thus far from Covid.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      The US wasn’t to shelter in place until a vaccine came along, it was to not overwhelm hospitals and the system in whole.

Did the US ever reach the point where heart attack or cancer patients were turned away from the ER? Even in NYC? Stories were that navy hospital ship went largely unused. True or no?

Compel people to wear masks (no shoes, no shirt, no mask...no service) and open up. Why should Walmart get all the traffic?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

At the risk of being accused of being dumb like Fishy...I can flat out say I know plenty of people (personally not someone who knows someone...etc) who are making more right now on unemployment than they were at their job. The extra $600 a week is the culprit though. In a normal scenario that wouldnt be possible because you can only make a certain percentage of your total wages. Right now though Unemployment is so backlogged they literally rubberstamp everyone. I personally know a worker who walked out of her job (at the end of March) and is collecting over $1200 a week (because of the extra $600) because unemployment hasnt even gotten around to contacting her former employer.

Speaking personally, having been on unemployment for long stretches before I can say...it is pretty easy to become what the GOP says everyone on unemployment is. I am not proud of it but I absolutely freeloaded for a while as did a lot of people I know. (half the people I lived by in Seattle a few years back were on public assistance by choice...ah The Ave) In Minnesota there is not nearly enough oversight and there are very large loopholes that are easy to exploit. It totally saved my *** when I needed it but I can say it definitely incentivized me to not want to get off it. Thankfully I have zero luck and got audited, which forced me off and I have been in much better employment positions since.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat I am in no way saying that all or even most people are like that. I am just saying it isnt just BS talking points either and I have seen it first hand. I would still rather have it this way though than some other states.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I know plenty of people ... who are making more right now on unemployment than they were at their job.
          That fact is not in dispute. The Fishy smell is the misuse of that fact in the "a safety net not a hammock" canard.

This has always been horsesh-t used by the rich to minimize the suffering of the poor in order to get out of paying more taxes so they can buy a fifth house. It is garbage political rhetoric and it makes me want to throw this monitor through the window.

If you think unemployment is paradise compared to working, quit your job and go on it. We treat the Poors like slaves. With the brief exception of 1933-1980, we always have. We suck on poverty. The self-congratulatory Sumnerian horse hockey of the Right has always justified it in the most cynical, illogical, and sociopathic way.
          Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2020, 10:40 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

At the risk of being accused of being dumb like Fishy...I can flat out say I know plenty of people (personally not someone who knows someone...etc) who are making more right now on unemployment than they were at their job. The extra $600 a week is the culprit though. In a normal scenario that wouldnt be possible because you can only make a certain percentage of your total wages. Right now though Unemployment is so backlogged they literally rubberstamp everyone. I personally know a worker who walked out of her job (at the end of March) and is collecting over $1200 a week (because of the extra $600) because unemployment hasnt even gotten around to contacting her former employer.

Speaking personally, having been on unemployment for long stretches before I can say...it is pretty easy to become what the GOP says everyone on unemployment is. I am not proud of it but I absolutely freeloaded for a while as did a lot of people I know. (half the people I lived by in Seattle a few years back were on public assistance by choice...ah The Ave) In Minnesota there is not nearly enough oversight and there are very large loopholes that are easy to exploit. It totally saved my *** when I needed it but I can say it definitely incentivized me to not want to get off it. Thankfully I have zero luck and got audited, which forced me off and I have been in much better employment positions since.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat I am in no way saying that all or even most people are like that. I am just saying it isnt just BS talking points either and I have seen it first hand. I would still rather have it this way though than some other states.
            I think that's a very accurate assessment.

I have a half dozen close friends here in Minnesota who have been temporarily laid off due to Covid. All of them are receiving compensation each week in excess of their normal paycheck, but not by huge numbers. Maybe a couple hundred per week. It's all due to the $600.

To a person they look at it as good fortune. None of them will refuse to go back to work when called, but all of them say a little prayer of thanks each Monday when it extends for one more week.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

And I have zero issue with that extra money. I’m working safely from home. Those people will not be when they go back.

Comment

It is a safety net, but it is not as easy a net to get out of as you want to pretend it is. Freeloading is more of a problem than you want to believe.

Now...ask me who are the ones freeloading. The ones I see arent the ones the GOP are worried about. **

**for example...in Seattle it was White People who grew up with parents of means who CHOOSE to live that lifestyle thinking it proves they arent "privileged". Even my girlfriend whose heart bleeds like a hemophiliac wanted to punch them in the face. And the amount of them that had kids and pets...good god.

Hell I would bet White People scam and freeload unemployment way more than minorities do. Much easier to do when you are working higher paying jobs to begin with.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  To a person they look at it as good fortune. None of them will refuse to go back to work when called, but all of them say a little prayer of thanks each Monday when it extends for one more week.
                  And that's the whole point. You've got the symptom right. You just have the diagnosis wrong.

Cornell University

Comment

Does unemployment get taxed upfront? Could be ugly next spring if everyone is getting the bill come due.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      And I have zero issue with that extra money. I’m working safely from home. Those people will not be when they go back.
                      Me either...in fact it should be extended until August 31st at the very least.

Trust me I am not criticizing unemployment...I am just saying there is more than anecdotal evidence that people take advantage of it. That doesnt much affect me though so I dont care. I think the system needs to fix some holes...especially when it comes to re-employment. Their "help" is a friggin joke. They need to add more counseling services and re-employment activities. Teaching people how to write a resume is great, but how about helping them get interviews or temp work? It is sort of set up to fail.

Man I have some fun stories about unemployment from back in the day...
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

IIRC, the $600/week fed bonus for unemployment ends 7/31. It'll be interesting to see how much support there is to extend it.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Does unemployment get taxed upfront? Could be ugly next spring if everyone is getting the bill come due.
                          You can choose to have it taxed with each payment or pay the taxes on the back end. It is strongly advised you always have the taxes taken out right away.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            I think they give you the option to have taxes withheld.

Comment

You can choose to have it taxed with each payment or pay the taxes on the back end. It is strongly advised you always have the taxes taken out right away.
                              You don't miss what you don't see!

Comment

Is there a default? I assume whatever it is 90% of the recipients opt in for that. I hope it's auto withdrawal.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X