Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

In terms of what I'm advocating- S Korea. Where they did a very harsh shut down, and pretty much eradicated the virus. We'd be done by now if we had approached this in that manner. Instead, we are going to spread this out over years, which will have a much harsher impact in the economy than if we just pulled the band-aid off in one quick job. Still- given the very small rates of people actually getting infected, a very harsh shut down now would still work.
    Actually, South Korea achieved their success without a total shutdown. What they had instead was more than adequate testing capability, a sophisticated tracking program, a healthcare system where profit is only A consideration and not the ONLY consideration, and a population that more or less accepted the science the government was relying on to save lives. They are also, apparently, still a society that understands what it actually means to sacrifice a little comfort or convenience if that means thousands won't needlessly die. Sadly, most of that is not in ample supply in this country.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Since this has now become a political issue instead of a science one, this will never, ever happen.
    Yup. The only way this stops being political is if the American people wake up. But like literally every other hot button issue, it is all about the politics. Ohio and North Dakota's governors can get as emotional as they want about whether or not wearing a mask in public is a political statement, but for those who refuse to, it is completely a political statement. They wear it (or don't, I guess) like a badge of honor. And for what? To own the libs. Childish, whiny little brats. That's what half this country is.

When the Russians put the first person in space in 1961, barely more than 15 years after the end of World War II, I wonder if people realize just what a feat that was. They suffered loss and destruction the like of which most Americans cannot imagine. Think of a Pearl Harbor attack day in and out from December of 1941 until August of 1945. Think of a half dozen of our biggest cities in ruins and millions of civilians dead. That was Russia in 1945. Yet when they beat us to space, this country decided we were going to accomplish something more impressive, more complex, and with far more reaching impact on the future. We started to catch up a few weeks later, matched them by 1962, and within a couple of years left their space program in the dust.

How many people think we are going to look at what South Korea figured out -- they still have fewer than 300 dead in a country of over 50,000,000 -- and say, next time, we're going to do even better than that? If you think the answer to that question is "yes" I have a bridge for sale I'd like to show you. Or maybe some prime swamp land in Florida ready for development. No, instead we are the country that for the last 9 years has had to rely on -- you guessed it -- Russia to ferry our astronauts into space. We have gone so far backwards as a nation. Its too bad even thousands of unnecessary deaths are not enough for millions of Americans to see the light.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      Also, a new complaint here in Michigan is that "Whitmer is stealing my summer!"

I've been responding "it sounds like you're bored. There are PLENTY of things to do around my apartment and I can keep you busy all summer long!"

They don't like me very much.
      Read a book.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Because here in Michigan, it's not up to the government. Pastors and denominations are closing the buildings. Not the Big Mean Lady in Lansing.
        And that's fine. Pastors have the option to open, and they chose not to. At least they had the option.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Because here in Michigan, it's not up to the government. Pastors and denominations are closing the buildings. Not the Big Mean Lady in Lansing.
          Yeah, people blame Harbaugh for everything.

Edit: Sh-t, I mixed up UM and MSU. But I'm leaving it as a monument to the interchangeability of flyover factory schools. Boom shak-a-lacka! And Mel Tucker isn't much of a punchline.
          Last edited by Kepler; 05-26-2020, 09:52 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

South Korea was a model and if only we could follow it. But we’re too selfish.

Tracing and quarantining would result in people getting shot

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Read a book.
              Go for a walk or a bike ride. Get coffee and sit on a park bench (if the park is clear enough). Saturday, I went for a walk among the tulips dressed like this. I shifted my focus to gratitude and it's really helped.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                And that's fine. Pastors have the option to open, and they chose not to. At least they had the option.
                But here in Michigan, I swear, people are blaming Whitmer for everything, including their ED and male pattern baldness.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

But here in Michigan, I swear, people are blaming Whitmer for everything, including their ED and male pattern baldness.
                  They blamed Hillary. 2016 was decided by overweight white guys furious they couldn't get it up anymore.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Japan also appears to be fairing well. They did very little testing compared to other developed countries. They, like South Korea did not go the lockdown route. It sounds like Japan bypassed the top down measures and let the localities make decisions based on what they were experiencing.

Japan utilized contact tracing. And it sounds like that infrastructure was well in place prior to this.

Interestingly Japan and South Korea have obesity rates hovering around 3% when using a BMI over 30. The US by comparison 32%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post
                      Japan also appears to be fairing well. They did very little testing compared to other developed countries. They, like South Korea did not go the lockdown route. It sounds like Japan bypassed the top down measures and let the localities make decisions based on what they were experiencing.

Japan utilized contact tracing. And it sounds like that infrastructure was well in place prior to this.

Interestingly Japan and South Korea have obesity rates hovering around 3% when using a BMI over 30. The US by comparison 32%.
                      It’s a huge difference. Can’t tell Americans they should eat healthy. Remember when Michelle tried to have kids eat vegetables?

I’ve used this time to clean up my diet a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post

Japan has been very strict when it comes to wearing masks. It sounds to me like that was what saved them.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

They've been posting updates about their status and the precautions they've been taking. This isn't some chain hotel or anything.

And (not directed at you) but the church thing, what's the difference between letting churches allowing limited capacity attendance and letting Target/Walmart be open? Both are indoors.
                          When you go to church, you go and sit to listen. You do not move. The priest/pastor/reverend speaks out to the congregation. Who are sitting there.

When you go to Target/Walmart/food shopping, you go, you move aisle to aisle, you do not stay and talk. People are not projecting out to you. Your exposure to droplets in the air that carry the virus is less than if you go to church.

Why you cannot grasp that simple distinction is difficult to understand.

Comment

The church my wife went to while in PA had a huge number of people and included a lot of interaction with others. Particularly, singing which is 100s of people sending germs into the air all at once.

Also a lot of mingling in the lobby before hand.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

There’s a reason the biggest clusters in several nations came from churches. Not grocery stores

Comment

They've been posting updates about their status and the precautions they've been taking. This isn't some chain hotel or anything.

And (not directed at you) but the church thing, what's the difference between letting churches allowing limited capacity attendance and letting Target/Walmart be open? Both are indoors.
                                Because you buy supplies at Target...it is a necessity. Sorry but going to church isnt.

They are not the same thing...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X