Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Helping what? The point is a lockdown for the foreseeable future is not realistic. All we can do now is the best we can while slowly getting back to "normal" life. Not saying a full lockdown in March was a bad idea, just that you can't keep a full lockdown forever.
    Can't even count the times this has been posted. All I can think of is my patients telling me I can't diagnose them with [X]! I can't possibly believe they should be expected to do [insert treatment]. No one should be expected to do that! They are just going to live their life! (Until they ended up in the ER, ICU or dead).

At least in Brazil they come right out and say they expect the old people to die and it will help them deal with the pension system. Here we pretend that saying it can't be expected will make it all go away, doctor the numbers and lie about where we are. The dude from Brazil is batsh1t crazy but at least he is honest.

I need to go on a long expedition to the Antarctic. Away from people. People are stupid.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Can't even count the times this has been posted. All I can think of is my patients telling me I can't diagnose them with [X]! I can't possibly believe they should be expected to do [insert treatment]. No one should be expected to do that! They are just going to live their life! (Until they ended up in the ER, ICU or dead).

At least in Brazil they come right out and say they expect the old people to die and it will help them deal with the pension system. Here we pretend that saying it can't be expected will make it all go away, doctor the numbers and lie about where we are. The dude from Brazil is batsh1t crazy but at least he is honest.

I need to go on a long expedition to the Antarctic. Away from people. People are stupid.
      Exactly. When people say "you can't do x" they are telling you "don't suggest x, I don't have an argument against it."

It's attempting to frame something out of debate, and it's transparently the move of someone who cannot win on the merits.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Huh? Obviously people are still going to get sick. There is no way to avoid that entirely.

Comment

What is the alternative? Are you guys advocating a full lockdown until everyone is vaccinated? Give me your specific plan. The argument against doing that is obviously the economic destruction, another great depression, suicide, mental health, abuse, addiction. Staying home can take its toll on people. If you have an idea I would love to hear it. Is there a certain country we should be following right now?

Comment

What is the alternative? Are you guys advocating a full lockdown until everyone is vaccinated? Give me your specific plan. The argument against doing that is obviously the economic destruction, another great depression, suicide, mental health, abuse, addiction. Staying home can take its toll on people. If you have an idea I would love to hear it. Is there a certain country we should be following right now?
            The INITIAL response should have been full lockdown. No contact delivery of necessities or otherwise from Day One.
            That didn't happen.
            So, no, We have to deal with that. Half-efforts. Which most are doing. And we will have to deal with the repercussions. Sucks, but that is what happens when you don't deal with Day One.
            You cannot turn back the dial, you can ONLY hope to slow it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Or, as has been discusssd ad nausem here- we could have done South Korea .Actual organized tracing, testing and quarantining

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                The INITIAL response should have been full lockdown.
                The same people saying we can't do full lockdown now told us we couldn't then.

Funny about those people. It's almost as if their profits take precedence over human life.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The same people saying we can't do full lockdown now told us we couldn't then.

Funny about those people. It's almost as if their profits take precedence over human life.
                  I would have been with whatever. There are things I wanted, and there are things that should have been done. Obviously, those things changed as we got more info.

That being said, well, we're really in it now, so let us try to save some of the economy. The Pandora's Box has been opened. Just control it the best you can.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    Or, as has been discusssd ad nausem here- we could have done South Korea .Actual organized tracing, testing and quarantining
                    That's could have done. I am not arguing that point. I'm talking about right now.

Kepler, you want a full lockdown right now. For how long? And it's not about "profits" for most people. It's about having money to get through this. So what is your plan if we did a full lockdown right now?

Comment

And as I mentioned it's not even all about money. There are plenty of other issues with an extended lockdown. We all want to minimize deaths. The most vulnerable people can continue to stay home as much as possible and do what is best for them. And people in general can do the same. Take it slow, implement guidelines and do the best we can.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Helping what? The point is a lockdown for the foreseeable future is not realistic. All we can do now is the best we can while slowly getting back to "normal" life. Not saying a full lockdown in March was a bad idea, just that you can't keep a full lockdown forever.
                        Why not?
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          We half-arsed it from Day 1. So, let's half-arse it now, and hopefully save some businesses, or shut 'er all down, and pray to whatever god (if applicable) that that works.

As for the necessities like groceries? Call 'em up, have them deliver, drop at doorstep, if you have to slide money under the door, or leave it in an envelope, so be it. No contact. Most can pay online, but just saying, there are some who can't.
                          No contact? Who bagged up your groceries? Picked them off the shelf? Carried them to your porch?

You touch those packages, you've touched them.
                          Last edited by rufus; 06-04-2020, 06:08 AM.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And as I mentioned it's not even all about money. There are plenty of other issues with an extended lockdown. We all want to minimize deaths. The most vulnerable people can continue to stay home as much as possible and do what is best for them. And people in general can do the same. Take it slow, implement guidelines and do the best we can.
                            RIGHT NOW, if your area is either increasing or steady in cases and deaths, the "best we can" is to stay in lockdown. Even if there's been a decline, that's still the best we can do. Once the r factor is low enough that it's unlikely to spread with crappy social distancing, then we can talk about opening up.

Are we talking about the best we can do for deaths or the best we can do for faceless billionaires? As it would be pretty easy to repeal the Bush and dumpy tax cuts to supply direct support to people while on shut down- which would keep the economy at least spinning- again, part of the "best we can do".

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              No contact? Who bagged up your groceries? Picked them off the shelf? Carried them to your porch?

You touch those packages, you've touched them.
                              Yuuuuup.

My wife laughs her a** off everytime the Domino's commercial comes on bragging about being "contactless the moment your pizza leaves the oven," because someone still needs to touch the pizza box to put it in the warming bag, take it out of the warming bag, touch the "contactless" cardboard box they put the pizza boxes on, touch the sauce containers if you order extra sauce, etc.

Sure, the pizza doesn't get touched, but every farking thing else gets touched!
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                RIGHT NOW, if your area is either increasing or steady in cases and deaths, the "best we can" is to stay in lockdown. Even if there's been a decline, that's still the best we can do. Once the r factor is low enough that it's unlikely to spread with crappy social distancing, then we can talk about opening up.

Are we talking about the best we can do for deaths or the best we can do for faceless billionaires? As it would be pretty easy to repeal the Bush and dumpy tax cuts to supply direct support to people while on shut down- which would keep the economy at least spinning- again, part of the "best we can do".
                                I don't give a rat's *** about "faceless billionaires".

Comment

Working...
                                X