Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    The extra $600 was put in there to encourage people to stay at home, they could pay their rent and buy food, and not have to be worried, or forced to be out and about knocking on doors looking for work. In the middle of a pandemic.

And, it's only for 8 weeks, so.....

Little Lyndsey whining about people sitting home and not working, well, what's Congress been doing the last two months? What's big corp? They're still gettin' paid. Helluva lot more than the barista at Starbucks.

I don't begrudge those people that extra $600 at all. It just demonstrates how woefully underpaid most of Americas workforce is. You got a problem, then protest about that.
    I don't think it's limited to 8 weeks. I think that for those eligible, it went back to the early part of April, and will run until about the end of July, IIRC.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Far as I know, it's 8 weeks.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        It could have been left up to each state to figure out how much was needed, but we can't handle the claims now anyway. If you added in the additional burden of doing the proper recalculations, no one would be getting their benefit yet.
        This (state governments apparently not being able to figure 4th grade math) has been the biggest obstacle to suitable stimulus payments. In the UP, which thankfully is finally being recognized as "not Detroit" and is reopening this Friday, my bro-in-law has been unable to entice his drivers to come back to work because they're all earning full wages to stay on the couch and watch soaps. The one-size-fits every place and every occupation has been the most serious blunder of the recovery stimulus funding. It's not rocket science. These are people who never have to interact with anyone else, and who live and work in a county with zero cases having been discovered, who are being paid by taxpayers in areas with the virus to sit at home.
        What these drivers don't realize is that next fall when the federal teat dries up, someone else will have happily accepted their job and they'll be out of luck. Maybe WalMart will be hiring greeters.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Michigan is partially reopening part of northern Michigan and the entire UP on Friday for Memorial Day Weekend. The main thing is that bars and restaurants can be open to 50% capacity.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I don't think it's limited to 8 weeks. I think that for those eligible, it went back to the early part of April, and will run until about the end of July, IIRC.
            Yeah, it's just four months to start, but there's already talk of extending it until fall for the whole country in case someone in Los Angeles or somewhere is still sick in July.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Seconding what Handyman said. In Illinois, they ask you if you want it taxed, or to make it up next April. I get why the option is there (if you're hurting for the cash, the couple extra bucks helps), but most everyone opts to have taxes taken out on each check.

Also in Illinois, you can work part time while on unemployment, but that amount is deducted from your weekly claim, and you cannot exceed 50% of your unemployment insurance, otherwise you will be taken off unemployment.

So for those on unemployment who do want to work, unless its cash under the table, they're stuck in a rut until they find work that will pay them similarly to the job they were laid off from. Or at least pays more than the UI does.

I always thought of unemployment as a good program, mostly because family and family friends were seasonal laborers, Teamsters, etc. where unemployment got them through the winters/down times.

I've always given suspicious side eye to those who maximised their unemployment withdrawals then cried disability and moved on to milking that system.
              In Minnesota you can make up to $1 less than what your payout is and still get a prorated amount. And no that amount is not $1, you still end up getting like 25%. The logic is kind of ridiculous.

Honestly, if you are single and in your late 20s without a house payment or car payment being an on call bartender (like I was) or server is about the best deal you can get. You are always eligible for unemployment and if you know the cracks in the system you can really coast for a good long while.

edit: There is an hours restriction as well. It is like 25 hours of work nullifies your claim.
              Last edited by Handyman; 05-18-2020, 01:57 PM.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I think in Minnesota when you apply, they ask you if you want taxes withheld or not. You have to answer that question to proceed, I believe.
                This is correct.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It went into effect for the week beginning March 30, and ends the week ending July 26.
                  Last edited by jericho; 05-18-2020, 02:02 PM.
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Its more than 8 weeks. My mom got 4 weeks backdated when she re-upped her benefits and is still getting it weeks later. As far as I can tell you get it til July 31st.

My parents, for the first time in decades, are flush with cash between her unemployment and their Social Security. Plus my dad works part time.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                        Wow. Just... wow. They aren't even hiding their swastikas anymore.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This absolutely can't be real
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

omg, Trump said he's taking Hydroxyquchloroquine to protect against COVID.

I hope this is true.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              KKKaren.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Humboldt County, California
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X