Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Huh? This is exactly what I am on board with. Just not an indefinite full lockdown.
    Fair enough. Would you be for that if it was politically feasible? I agree Trump/Senate Republicans will never actually pass a bill with Democrats that keeps people out indefinitely until a good vaccine is found, or, some other combination of treatments greatly reduces symptoms/improves recovery rates. Could be months. Could be a decade. As SJHovey is wanting people to admit, no one truly knows. If it was politically feasible, I’d be fine with nonessential workers staying home indefinitely until a vaccine or treatment was found.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Georgia reopened on April 24....
      Some businesses in Georgia were allowed to reopen on that date. It was not some massive re-opening or changing of restrictions. Whatever.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Politically/economically feasible, sure. In general I am for small government but a pandemic certainly calls for the government to step it up. The problem is it's just not in the cards. We're seeing people lose their businesses, laid off workers, depression...the works. So if the government can't/won't keep them afloat then let people back to work.

I myself haven't been impacted thankfully (so far at least). I am one of the fortunate ones so this isn't even about me. In fact in a bizarre turn this has helped my family save $. My wife and I working at home, saving on gas money...kids are here so saving on daycare costs. Haven't had to take a paycut or anything. So for me, while I am getting stir crazy with the kids here and us trying to work, I can handle it. Now if my wife would just let us do central air...

Before all this I worked 2 days a week at home. I'm sure that's only going to increase. When my work starts opening the offices again, I'm sure it will be at least 3 days at home. Maybe more. For my job, I really have no need to even be in an office other than a change of scenery.

Comment

Uh we have all said no one truly knows. The only thing we knew was not locking down back in March was a massive mistake and would put us right where we are. (tons of needless death) I dont see how anyone can say otherwise...

The problem is the narrative changed from those that opposed us. First it went "It isnt a big deal" then "it doesnt spread that easily" then "well the flu does similar damage" then "well it only affects the old and sick" then "we need to open up to get to herd immunity" and now "well we just have to accept the risk and deal with it" and so on and so on. Meanwhile literally nothing has changed. Every predicted model has come to fruition, and sometimes even faster than expected. We have over 110k dead that we know of since like middle of March, we have states flat out lying about their numbers and we are no closer to having the requisite number of tests needed to truly know what the heck is going on. There are side effects to the disease we havent had enough time to study, we have no idea if the disease causes the creation of antibodies in the blood (though it is assumed) and we cant even be sure of the accuracy of our tests because of how screwed up this was. But people are acting like life is grand and things need to open up so they can sit on a patio somewhere.

There is a blueprint to how to do this, and we basically Cliffs Notesed our way through it. We have done a decent job of spreading things out but we could be way farther along in this process if people had just been willing to sacrifice a bit more and if the Federal Government hadnt been so inept. We are so far behind on certain aspects like testing and tracing who knows whether it will be effective anymore.

This isnt a Blue/Red thing (outside of the people making certain decisions) this is a Right/Wrong thing. A halfway competent federal system in concert with the states could have nipped this in the bud (relatively speaking) in late March and saved tens of thousands of lives. Instead even with our lessening numbers we will still be pushing 170-200k dead by end of summer, not wistanding what the protests brought.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Hovey,

I have no doubt you do your own reading/research, but this Vox article touches on the situation in Georgia.

https://www.vo*****/2020/6/4/2126776...es-deaths-data

Comment

The narrative is always going to change as more data comes out. Of course there were always going to be people saying it isn't a big deal...until it is a big deal. But the narrative of a potential economic catastrophe is absolutely valid because I have no faith in the government to provide for the people in need. So the only alternative is for those people to provide for themselves which means getting back to work. If we get breaking news in the near future about the government passing out all this money that will surely save everyone for the next year as we navigate through this...ok. That would be absolutely fantastic. But as I keep saying, it's not happening. At least I don't think it will.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                The narrative is always going to change as more data comes out. Of course there were always going to be people saying it isn't a big deal...until it is a big deal. But the narrative of a potential economic catastrophe is absolutely valid because I have no faith in the government to provide for the people in need. So the only alternative is for those people to provide for themselves which means getting back to work. If we get breaking news in the near future about the government passing out all this money that will surely save everyone for the next year as we navigate through this...ok. That would be absolutely fantastic. But as I keep saying, it's not happening. At least I don't think it will.
                The last time the WH went from Red to Blue, the Dems had to save an economy on the brink. Last two times, actually, though the steaming pile Clinton inherited was not quite as deep. Gotta believe.

Comment

And the economy was actually in pretty good shape. All Trump had to do was take the COVID warnings seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    Polio requires 80-85% of herd to be vaccinated, measles around 90. It worked quite well until people decided it gave their kids autism
                    I don't want to put words in JD's mouth, but I think he was asking if there is a case of herd immunity philosophy working absent of a vaccine.... what Sweeden was trying to do...

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      I don't want to put words in JD's mouth, but I think he was asking if there is a case of herd immunity philosophy working absent of a vaccine.... what Sweeden was trying to do...
                      He wasn’t specific. I answered.
                      There are plenty who don’t understand herd immunity

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        Yes, that's what I was going for. I assumed that that philosophy must have worked for something in the past where they thought it was worth a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          He wasn’t specific. I answered.
                          There are plenty who don’t understand herd immunity
                          Fair enough. Is there an example of herd immunity working absent a vaccine?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            Fair enough. Is there an example of herd immunity working absent a vaccine?
                            Does chicken pox work that way?
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              Does chicken pox work that way?
                              There is a vaccine that has greatly helped prevent babies from getting it

Comment

If he's not lying he's dying.

Comment

Working...
                                X