Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    - Twitter users with at least 8 numbers at the end of their handle.
    Also, the triple stars or any mention of MAGA, Patriot, USA, "truth seeker", etc. Also, I've always found it interesting how many of the "women" say they are nurses.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
      I'd say claiming there isn't a reopening spike in GA is somewhat false at best. Cases were trending down and then very clearly starting trending back up. https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report
      But now they are trending down again, assuming you are looking at the seven day moving average.

I'll admit, I have no idea what testing is like in Georgia, so I have no idea of what the actual number of cases are since they re-opened. I just know 7 weeks ago what I was hearing here, and in the national news, was dire predictions of problems in Georgia due to re-opening, and problems in Florida due to beaches, and problems in California due to beaches and problems in Michigan due to protesting and problems in Missouri due to pool parties, etc...

Granted, there have been other things dominating the news, but I haven't heard anything from any of those places that suggests they are developing problems like were experienced early on in New York or New Jersey or some of the other hot spots, or predicted here. Maybe everyone has been distracted, but I think that if we were seeing 40 people die who had eaten in the same restaurant in Georgia 4 weeks ago, we'd probably have heard about it.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        One of the things that I've been curious about is the "capacity" of restaurants.

I've seen bars and restaurants where capacity (for fire code purposes) is listed at say 125 people, but realistically there is maybe seating for 75.

If a bar/restaurant can open up to 50% capacity, does that mean 50% of the fire code capacity, or does it mean 50% of your seating, and if it's seating, can you add more seating assume you still meet fire code capacity?
        they opened restaurants back up in some counties in Maine (ones without active community spread). I'm pretty sure the reduced seating is based on their seating capacity not fire code (for example, fire code may assume some standing room in some bars), plus there are requirements on the minimum spacing between tables. Most have had to remove tables and block off some booths in order to meet the spacing requirements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          People work to live. Dying for your job is like making war for peace.

The logic of capitalism is always a dead end unless you own the game.
          Give me a break with this dying for your job BS. It's utter nonsense. We don't hibernate during flu season and a lot of people die from it. It's not exactly the same as COVID, I get that. But in this case nobody is telling the most vulnerable people to just go back to work and take no precautions etc. You slowly try to get back to life while taking precautions. People are going to die, there is no way around that. If you think otherwise you're naive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            5 very popular restaurants in Mn currently closing due to covid infections on staff. Closing temp, not perm
            Protestors?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              they opened restaurants back up in some counties in Maine (ones without active community spread). I'm pretty sure the reduced seating is based on their seating capacity not fire code (for example, fire code may assume some standing room in some bars), plus there are requirements on the minimum spacing between tables. Most have had to remove tables and block off some booths in order to meet the spacing requirements.
              After I wrote my post, I hunted around for Minnesota information.

In Minnesota there is an "occupancy load" that is calculated for each building based upon its particular use. Bars and restaurants have a particular calculation that is applied to them. It primarily has to do with square footage, and what that space is used for, whether it's seating, storage, etc... That's the occupancy load that is in place whether there is a pandemic or not.

The State website that I saw basically said then that if the Governor reduces capacity by 50%, you just cut the number of the occupancy load in half.

Thus, in my example, if a bar/restaurant has an occupancy load of 120 people, a 50% covid limitation would reduce that to 60 people, regardless of the number of chairs/tables in there.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

But now they are trending down again, assuming you are looking at the seven day moving average.

I'll admit, I have no idea what testing is like in Georgia, so I have no idea of what the actual number of cases are since they re-opened. I just know 7 weeks ago what I was hearing here, and in the national news, was dire predictions of problems in Georgia due to re-opening, and problems in Florida due to beaches, and problems in California due to beaches and problems in Michigan due to protesting and problems in Missouri due to pool parties, etc...

Granted, there have been other things dominating the news, but I haven't heard anything from any of those places that suggests they are developing problems like were experienced early on in New York or New Jersey or some of the other hot spots, or predicted here. Maybe everyone has been distracted, but I think that if we were seeing 40 people die who had eaten in the same restaurant in Georgia 4 weeks ago, we'd probably have heard about it.
                CA, FL, AZ and TX are all seeing their highest levels of new cases, not sure how that contradicts the predictions that they would see more new cases. On GA the cases increase pretty much right up to their unknown window, there is like a 2 day steady state for the last 2 with complete data. But there is a clear trend downward followed by a pretty dramatic turnaround that sure looks related to relaxing of their stay at home order.

Comment

CA, FL, AZ and TX are all seeing their highest levels of new cases, not sure how that contradicts the predictions that they would see more new cases. On GA the cases increase pretty much right up to their unknown window, there is like a 2 day steady state for the last 2 with complete data. But there is a clear trend downward followed by a pretty dramatic turnaround that sure looks related to relaxing of their stay at home order.
                  Ok, but again is that due to testing, or a spike in infections?

As I said, take a look at your link for Georgia and look at deaths. They re-opened when daily deaths were nearly at their peak, as it turns out. They've dropped by nearly half, on a daily basis.

Again, is that because someone is lying about the deaths? I have no idea. But what I do know is I'm not hearing news reports out of Georgia that are proclaiming a calamity like we saw early on when the virus was spreading rapidly and death rates were skyrocketing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

As I said, take a look at your link for Georgia and look at deaths. They re-opened when daily deaths were nearly at their peak, as it turns out. They've dropped by nearly half, on a daily basis.

Again, is that because someone is lying about the deaths? I have no idea. But what I do know is I'm not hearing news reports out of Georgia that are proclaiming a calamity like we saw early on when the virus was spreading rapidly and death rates were skyrocketing.
                    There is a way to tell if it’s due to testing or truly rising infections. Two weeks ago my actuarial partners produced the report that explained why Minnesota’s spike could not be attributed to testing.

It’s quite a complex data analysis

Comment

No one was predicting a calamity in GA like we saw in NYC. We predicted that cases would increase, which they did. I think it's pretty clear GA and FL are at least manipulating their data. FL fired the person in charge of their data for refusing to manipulate it, and GA was reporting data out of sequence to make it look like cases were decreasing when they weren't. Every post you find a place to throw in "I have no idea," but you don't seem to let that stop you from telling everyone how right you were.

Comment

I haven't heard of any. I talked to a guy yesterday who operates a restaurant and his trade group tells him there is some discussion opening with limited (maybe 25%) capacity that may be implemented in the middle of June, but nothing definite.
                        If it goes anything like the patio open is working a lot of places are going to be complete clusters. My friends who are servers are not enjoying life right now. (and not just cause they assume the spread is happening at their place now)
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No one was predicting a calamity in GA like we saw in NYC. We predicted that cases would increase, which they did. I think it's pretty clear GA and FL are at least manipulating their data. FL fired the person in charge of their data for refusing to manipulate it, and GA was reporting data out of sequence to make it look like cases were decreasing when they weren't. Every post you find a place to throw in "I have no idea," but you don't seem to let that stop you from telling everyone how right you were.
                          I've readily admitted I have no idea. I'm just trying to get the rest of you to admit it too.

Comment

After I wrote my post, I hunted around for Minnesota information.

In Minnesota there is an "occupancy load" that is calculated for each building based upon its particular use. Bars and restaurants have a particular calculation that is applied to them. It primarily has to do with square footage, and what that space is used for, whether it's seating, storage, etc... That's the occupancy load that is in place whether there is a pandemic or not.

The State website that I saw basically said then that if the Governor reduces capacity by 50%, you just cut the number of the occupancy load in half.

Thus, in my example, if a bar/restaurant has an occupancy load of 120 people, a 50% covid limitation would reduce that to 60 people, regardless of the number of chairs/tables in there.
                            That would make the most sense. Otherwise people would push that to the edge and it could get real ugly.

I would assume even if they go 50% SRO is dead in the water for quite some time.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

As I said, take a look at your link for Georgia and look at deaths. They re-opened...
                              Where are you seeing that? I see in order:

-Large gathering ban (Mar 23)
                              -Shelter in place (Apr 2)
                              -Shelter in place extended for at risk (May 1)

Their peak for deaths (Apr 16) occurred well before the latter.

Comment

I got a voicemail from my mayor that testing is now available locally for anyone that wants it. You need to make an appointment but do not need a doctor to request, or whatever you needed earlier. I'm thinking of doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X