Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    Well, they keep changing their recommendations, so like what do we know to believe? Therefore, I'm not going to wear any masks or follow any guidelines. Isn't that how it works Rube?
    just as long as you know all your buddies are doing everything by the book.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Well, when you pull it out on lab 2 for copying lab 1...

It's dumb. Don't give someone a zero on 12% of someone's total final grade without making sure they understand it first.
      As an undergrad I was called into a meeting with a bio professor because they felt a draft of my term paper was "plagiarized." I was told the methods scored too high on some stupid metric. I pointed out that they are specific to my lab, published by my lab, and I cited in my paper... my labs prior publications. They insisted I had to change around the wording because of a vague score the which they would not give me more information. I eventually did change it because I was just an undergrad and had no power or say.

I brought the "revised" draft back to my PI (30+ year professor, helped map our understanding of the visual cortex) and he lost his ****. He took care of that nonsense with one phone call. I have not had a similar issue beyond undergrad nonsense.
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

102,000 Americans dead. The equivalent of a home game at Ohio State in October. Gone.

A 9/11 a day for 35 straight days.
        Last edited by rufus; 05-27-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          102,000 Americans dead. The equivalent of a home game at Ohio State in October. Gone.

We'll fill the Big House on Saturday.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Who cares? Twitter is being unfair to Donnie.

Comment

I had no idea they ran those metrics on science papers. That makes no sense to me -- if you're replicating results that's not plagiarism, it's validation.

OTOH for Humanities those things are great. You don't use them blind, you use them to id the paper it turns out the little bastid was obviously plagiarizing.

I forget the story but there's a SF classic where there are so many grad students in the galaxy that between the time you submit your dissertation and the time of your defense it's statistically probable that your topic has already cleared a different defense somewhere, causing yours to be thrown out as derivative, even though you've never heard of the other researcher.

Now that's a scarred doctoral candidate.

It's like those poor doomed kids whose dissertation board members keep dying before they can defend. I personally know somebody (not Dr. Mrs.) who went through 3. In History it's worse because the faculty are always so f-cking old; they never retire, they simply are retired, eventually.
              Last edited by Kepler; 05-27-2020, 06:20 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I worked at a lab where a dumb grad student stored his thesis on a usb drive that failed. He asked me to see if I could read the USB drive on my computer or if it’s just a failure on the computer.

“Uhhh did you back up your thesis anywhere?”
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I worked at a lab where a dumb grad student stored his thesis on a usb drive that failed. He asked me to see if I could read the USB drive on my computer or if it’s just a failure on the computer.

“Uhhh did you back up your thesis anywhere?”
                  When I met Dr. Mrs. she had 60 back up copies of her dissertation in progress.

They were all on the same disk.

About a month after I distributed her backups between 4 drives and 4 USBs, that drive corrupted.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

3-2-1

Three backups
                    Two media
                    One offsite
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I thought the Covfefe-19 thing was gonna be all over by May 15? 65-70,000 dead.

They had models and everything.

Then again, it was gonna be all over by the end of February. We had 15 cases, and soon it was gonna be zero.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I think they are looking at it wrong. To use their first example: the true exposure rate is 4%, false negative rate is 0%, and false positive rate is 5%. Before I take the antibody test, I would estimate that the probability that I’ve been exposed is 4%. If I get a positive test result, my estimate would shoot up to 40/88 = 45%. That’s clearly not definitive, but it’s an order of magnitude more likely than before I took the test, so it’s not nothing, either.

ETA: this hypothetical test also provides some very real, actionable information to the 91.2% who test negative - they now know that they definitely need to continue to protect themselves. So I think it’s very misleading to say that there would be no value in using such a test on a low-exposure population.
                        Last edited by LynahFan; 05-27-2020, 09:32 PM.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          Who cares? Twitter is being unfair to Donnie.
                          Can you imagine what would happen if he shut down all these mean media sites? Pleeeeeze do it Dumpy!! Think about all the bots spewing misinformation, the talking heads retweeting each other amplifying the spin and false narratives, the name calling, constant smearing of character, people using constant repetition to make people believe the unbelievable. He shuts that down and people get a breather from the barrage of bias confirmation. He would fold up in just a few days.

Comment

I just shudder to think of what he’d do for his constant need for attention if he couldn’t tweet

Comment

Comment

Holy ****
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X