Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Why would I ever go to a game in Philadelphia?
    Or a country music festival in Las Vegas? (Too soon?)

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      god gave you eyes,
      plagiarize
      But remember please to always be calling it "research."
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        But remember please to always be calling it "research."
        AKA cite your sources.

Something the russian party has no idea means, since they go all by feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          AKA cite your sources.

Something the russian party has no idea means, since they go all by feeling.
          I (initially) got a zero on a lab report senior year because I copied and pasted my own calculations section from the previous lab report. I was told it was plagiarism and I needed to cite it. I asked if the dean would agree with the professor.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I (initially) got a zero on a lab report senior year because I copied and pasted my own calculations section from the previous lab report. I was told it was plagiarism and I needed to cite it. I asked if the dean would agree with the professor.
            Denver University now uses TurnItIn, software that compares your paper with scholarly articles and gives you a score. My last paper got a 38%, so I was allowed to submit, but received a nice lecture on paraphrasing instead of direct quoting. Even with the APA f ups, I got a perfect score.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

TurnitIn sucks.
              -MBA student and current College Faculty

dx,

That is a common policy. It makes little to no logical sense but I have heard of it quite often actually.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

When I was teaching the students had to hand in documentation for physical exams. Well, if you did it right most of it was tagged as like someone else's

Comment

https://twitter.com/i/events/1219057585707315201

"COVID-19: CDC warns that current antibody tests may be inaccurate
                  New guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests that in areas where the prevalence of COVID-19 is low, “less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies.” The CDC also says that antibodies are not accurate enough to use to make important policy decisions. "

Weird...
                  I'm a little concerned about the antibody test results Cuomo is touting. First, I don't know a lot about antibody testing but I would be very cautious if they exclude a couple things:
                  1. Specificity of the tests (essentially gives the number of false positives). This is especially important given that we don't seem to know if someone who had a different coronavirus that's essentially harmless but has not been infected by COVID-19 could give a positive result on these tests.
                  2. How they selected the samples
                  3. A caution that a positive test result doesn't mean you're immune, even if it's not a false positive. We don't know that yet. We can predict, but we don't know.
                  4. Relatedly, if the false positive rate is fairly high, that's... not good.
                  5. How did they process the data.
                  6. Whether they are using resolved cases that correspond to the sampling dates to determine any kind of fatality rate

Regarding point 4, there's a great short video from Pro Publica (I really, really need to subscribe/donate to them) that helps explain why proportion of FP to total positives is important:

ProPublica

@propublica
                  In some situations, antibody tests generate more false positives than real ones. It’s because of ... math. Here's what you need to know.

Embedded video
                  7:59 AM - May 2, 2020
                  Twitter Ads info and privacy
                  127 people are talking about this

For point 5, here's a fairly good but dense thread on why there are some issues with the studies coming out of Santa Clara right now and why they might be important for the NY testing results.

Will Fithian
                  @wfithian
                  The statistical analysis in the Bendavid et al. revision still seems to have at least one fatal bug.https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...463v2.full.pdf

2:43 PM - May 1, 2020
                  Twitter Ads info and privacy
                  106 people are talking about this
                  Not that we all couldn't see this coming...
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    TurnitIn sucks.

dx,

That is a common policy. It makes little to no logical sense but I have heard of it quite often actually.
                    DU just went to it. Last quarter, I was marked down a lot for poor APA formatting, but this quarter, I'm actually being graded on content. That said, I've been citing my sources a lot, so I don't know why TurnItIn even matters.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

New guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests that in areas where the prevalence of COVID-19 is low, “less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies.” The CDC also says that antibodies are not accurate enough to use to make important policy decisions. "
                      So, who f-cked up?

Completely biased assumptions:

1. Incompetent GOP apparatchiks understaffed/underfunded labs and got crap results.

2. Cynical GOP politicals rushed and/or flat out lied and screwed up the science.

3. Profit-driven medicine, stripped of government oversight, delivers another kiss of capitalist death.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 05-27-2020, 02:22 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

From Science:

Buried in the article:
                        The aerosol filtering efficiency of different materials, thicknesses, and layers used in properly fitted homemade masks was recently found to be similar to that of the medical masks that were tested
                        Cited source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32329337/?dopt=Abstract
                        The emergence of a pandemic affecting the respiratory system can result in a significant demand for face masks. This includes the use of cloth masks by large sections of the public, as can be seen during the current global spread of COVID-19. However, there is limited knowledge available on the performance of various commonly available fabrics used in cloth masks. Importantly, there is a need to evaluate filtration efficiencies as a function of aerosol particulate sizes in the 10 nm to 10 μm range, which is particularly relevant for respiratory virus transmission. We have carried out these studies for several common fabrics including cotton, silk, chiffon, flannel, various synthetics, and their combinations. Although the filtration efficiencies for various fabrics when a single layer was used ranged from 5 to 80% and 5 to 95% for particle sizes of <300 nm and >300 nm, respectively, the efficiencies improved when multiple layers were used and when using a specific combination of different fabrics. Filtration efficiencies of the hybrids (such as cotton-silk, cotton-chiffon, cotton-flannel) was >80% (for particles <300 nm) and >90% (for particles >300 nm). We speculate that the enhanced performance of the hybrids is likely due to the combined effect of mechanical and electrostatic-based filtration. Cotton, the most widely used material for cloth masks performs better at higher weave densities (i.e., thread count) and can make a significant difference in filtration efficiencies. Our studies also imply that gaps (as caused by an improper fit of the mask) can result in over a 60% decrease in the filtration efficiency, implying the need for future cloth mask design studies to take into account issues of "fit" and leakage, while allowing the exhaled air to vent efficiently. Overall, we find that combinations of various commonly available fabrics used in cloth masks can potentially provide significant protection against the transmission of aerosol particles.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          So, who f-cked up?
                          Watch & read this:
                          https://www.propublica.org/video/why...y-test-results
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            TurnitIn sucks.

dx,

Well, when you pull it out on lab 2 for copying lab 1...

It's dumb. Don't give someone a zero on 12% of someone's total final grade without making sure they understand it first.
                            Code:

Comment

I agree. When someone explained it to me once I literally got a headache and told them to stop. That is a lazy teacher.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                From Science:

Buried in the article:

Cited source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32329337/?dopt=Abstract
                                Well, they keep changing their recommendations, so like what do we know to believe? Therefore, I'm not going to wear any masks or follow any guidelines. Isn't that how it works Rube?

Comment

Working...
                                X