Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Does unemployment get taxed upfront? Could be ugly next spring if everyone is getting the bill come due.
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    You can choose to have it taxed with each payment or pay the taxes on the back end. It is strongly advised you always have the taxes taken out right away.
    Seconding what Handyman said. In Illinois, they ask you if you want it taxed, or to make it up next April. I get why the option is there (if you're hurting for the cash, the couple extra bucks helps), but most everyone opts to have taxes taken out on each check.

Also in Illinois, you can work part time while on unemployment, but that amount is deducted from your weekly claim, and you cannot exceed 50% of your unemployment insurance, otherwise you will be taken off unemployment.

So for those on unemployment who do want to work, unless its cash under the table, they're stuck in a rut until they find work that will pay them similarly to the job they were laid off from. Or at least pays more than the UI does.

I always thought of unemployment as a good program, mostly because family and family friends were seasonal laborers, Teamsters, etc. where unemployment got them through the winters/down times.

I've always given suspicious side eye to those who maximised their unemployment withdrawals then cried disability and moved on to milking that system.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Is there a default? I assume whatever it is 90% of the recipients opt in for that. I hope it's auto withdrawal.
      I think in Minnesota when you apply, they ask you if you want taxes withheld or not. You have to answer that question to proceed, I believe.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Woof

“ BREAKING: The mayor of São Paulo, Brazil is warning that hospitals are at 90 percent capacity in the city and could be fully overwhelmed over the next two weeks. São Paulo, the country’s largest city, has been hit hard by the pandemic, with nearly 3,000 deaths. Bruno Covas said too many residents are ignoring social-distancing rules, put in place nearly two month ago, in the city and pleaded with constituents to adhere to them.

"It is hard to believe that some prefer the population to be subjected to Russian roulette. Indifference in the face of death is unseemly."

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...se-mayor-warns

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          **for example...in Seattle it was White People who grew up with parents of means who CHOOSE to live that lifestyle thinking it proves they arent "privileged". Even my girlfriend whose heart bleeds like a hemophiliac wanted to punch them in the face.
          So like a real-life version of the musical Rent?

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I think in Minnesota when you apply, they ask you if you want taxes withheld or not. You have to answer that question to proceed, I believe.
            Thanks.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I work for NYSDOL doing UI benefits. The tax option is there, I’ve been finding it’s 50-50. The max here is 604 or 4 days working in order to not be eligible. If you have a part time job and work three days, you only get 1/3 of your daily entitlement. If you work 2 days but make over 504 gross, you don’t get any for that week. Since COVID, I’ve taken claims from people who haven’t worked in three years because they now get the $600.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

The reason for a flat $600 dollar bump was that based on the average unemployment check each week, adding $600 would round up the average person's benefit to just about 100% of the average before taxes paycheck. It could have been left up to each state to figure out how much was needed, but we can't handle the claims now anyway. If you added in the additional burden of doing the proper recalculations, no one would be getting their benefit yet. As for getting their benefit, all 50 states were reporting delays in getting the money to people because their systems had been overwhelmed like never before.

As I said in my original response to Rube, yes, some people are making more on unemployment now than they would have, but most won't. It is also the least important thing to worry about in all of this mess. Some states pay a criminally small benefit (before taxes in some places, the MAX is under $250) and other people make a criminally small wage when they DO work. Minnesota has a fairly high maximum benefit (I think it is almost double what WI pays) so there is a good chance that some in MN might bring home a few bucks more than they were getting while still at work. But that is not true for a lot of states.

Also, the nature of this unemployment is not such that many people will be able to find suitable work since so many things are shut down at once. I think our unemployment safety net and in many places ridiculously low minimum wage are just more problems the coronavirus has revealed. I'm fairly sure we will get busy kicking those cans down the road once we get past all the dying.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  So like a real-life version of the musical Rent?
                  To be fair lots of those kids in Seattle have parents who are executives and are used to corporate welfare.

“I learned it by watching you, dad.”

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I think that's a very accurate assessment.

I have a half dozen close friends here in Minnesota who have been temporarily laid off due to Covid. All of them are receiving compensation each week in excess of their normal paycheck, but not by huge numbers. Maybe a couple hundred per week. It's all due to the $600.

To a person they look at it as good fortune. None of them will refuse to go back to work when called, but all of them say a little prayer of thanks each Monday when it extends for one more week.
                    Gosh. I hope this pandemic hasn't made anyone's life too easy. I think that's about 454,587th on the list of things I worry about. Sheesh.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Gosh. I hope this pandemic hasn't made anyone's life too easy. I think that's about 454,587th on the list of things I worry about. Sheesh.
                      I don't think you appreciate just how much the fortunate suffer when the chasm between them and the underprivileged shrinks from gargantuan to merely enormous.

If the Poors aren't constantly whipped by the flail of poverty, how will they ever develop the moral character necessary to inherit wealth?
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Classy

“ President Trump wrote “FAKE NEWS IS NOT ESSENTIAL” in a retweet of a video of Open New York protesters berating a journalist, with one seen carrying a sign reading “Hang Fauci, Hang Gates.”

Comment

Newton, Massachusetts. Population 88,904

Location of the Boston Marathon's famous Heartbreak Hill. Made up of 13 villages, one of which is Chestnut Hill--home to Boston College.
                          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            Thousands dying every day, here’s what our president just tweeted

Donnie knows deep down that he is the real loser. The only way for him to purge that idea from his mind is to attack. Project. Bully. The only way to make himself feel better about his own pitiful existence.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Donnie knows deep down that he is the real loser. The only way for him to purge that idea from his mind is to attack. Project. Bully. The only way to make himself feel better about his own pitiful existence.
                              Obviously. He's the coward who calls people coward and the moron who calls people moron.

Note he also calls people pedophile and rapist.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The extra $600 was put in there to encourage people to stay at home, they could pay their rent and buy food, and not have to be worried, or forced to be out and about knocking on doors looking for work. In the middle of a pandemic.

And, it's only for 8 weeks, so.....

Little Lyndsey whining about people sitting home and not working, well, what's Congress been doing the last two months? What's big corp? They're still gettin' paid. Helluva lot more than the barista at Starbucks.

I don't begrudge those people that extra $600 at all. It just demonstrates how woefully underpaid most of Americas workforce is. You got a problem, then protest about that.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X