Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I’m seeing a LOT more people who have been silent or not politically involved at all now up in arms about restaurants only open for patio service. This will really kick up the anti walz stuff
    I like Walz. I think he's generally done a good job, both with this pandemic and otherwise. With respect to the pandemic I think he has tried to gather information and make good decisions. I also think he has a realistic view of what he can and cannot accomplish with stay at home restrictions.

That said, the indoor vs. outdoor bar and restaurant decision was a silly one. Either keep them closed all the way, except for take out, or open up both indoor and outdoor service with the protocols he just implemented for the outdoor dining.

He is very enamored with his "this is not a switch, it's a dial" view, so no doubt he believes that allowing just outdoor dining and bar service gives him an argument he's adjusting the dial. But it's silly, and will create more backlash for him that he doesn't need.

Outdoor only doesn't help the employees. They are already going to have to come in and cook food, bartend, and serve patrons. They'll be interacting with co-workers and customers either way.

Is there any evidence that customers seated six feet or ten feet away from one another outdoors is any safer for the customers and staff than sitting the same distance away indoors? In fact, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is evidence that water droplets containing the virus can actually travel 15 to 20 feet away on an outdoor breeze, so it might even be more dangerous outside.

Also, it further exacerbates the unfairness perception. Bars and restaurants, who through no reason other than geographic location, may have an abundance of patio space while the bar or restaurant next door has zero. Why is that fair?

Are you going to make people sit there and finish their drinks and meal in the rain? This is Minnesota, not San Diego. I think it will also create some interesting questions around the Cities as to what is or is not "indoor" space. I was thinking of McGoverns in St. Paul. They have a "patio" that is basically an indoor space where there is a roof that can be rolled back. Is that outdoors? I've eaten in that space in the dead of winter. How about places with big garage doors that open up, like Surlys?

I think Walz unnecessarily stepped in it here. If he doesn't think it's safe for bars and restaurants to open, fine, keep them closed awhile longer. What's next, the Gophers can play their games (outdoor stadium) but the Vikings can't?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

There is something out there showing that indoor can have higher infection rates due to air circulation and where you’re sitting

Comment

There is something out there showing that indoor can have higher infection rates due to air circulation and where you’re sitting
        There are several things out there saying indoor is far worse.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Walz is trying, but the right won't take any "no" for an answer. it's why Evers in Wisconsin basically gave up after the Supreme Court ruling. There may have been measured ways to approach the coronavirus lockdowns, and there may be better ways to re-open. But to the right it was all a hoax at first, and doing nothing was all most were willing to do. Then when their orange overlord said "we beat it, all is well" the right won't tolerate anything but a complete opening, all at once. So for the people who needed to decide what to do, there were and are few if any options. The excess deaths, the extremity of the economic disaster, they're all the fault of trump and almost every other republican, save for a handful of governors or mayors.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I like Walz. I think he's generally done a good job, both with this pandemic and otherwise. With respect to the pandemic I think he has tried to gather information and make good decisions. I also think he has a realistic view of what he can and cannot accomplish with stay at home restrictions.

That said, the indoor vs. outdoor bar and restaurant decision was a silly one. Either keep them closed all the way, except for take out, or open up both indoor and outdoor service with the protocols he just implemented for the outdoor dining.

He is very enamored with his "this is not a switch, it's a dial" view, so no doubt he believes that allowing just outdoor dining and bar service gives him an argument he's adjusting the dial. But it's silly, and will create more backlash for him that he doesn't need.

Outdoor only doesn't help the employees. They are already going to have to come in and cook food, bartend, and serve patrons. They'll be interacting with co-workers and customers either way.

Is there any evidence that customers seated six feet or ten feet away from one another outdoors is any safer for the customers and staff than sitting the same distance away indoors? In fact, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is evidence that water droplets containing the virus can actually travel 15 to 20 feet away on an outdoor breeze, so it might even be more dangerous outside.

Also, it further exacerbates the unfairness perception. Bars and restaurants, who through no reason other than geographic location, may have an abundance of patio space while the bar or restaurant next door has zero. Why is that fair?

Are you going to make people sit there and finish their drinks and meal in the rain? This is Minnesota, not San Diego. I think it will also create some interesting questions around the Cities as to what is or is not "indoor" space. I was thinking of McGoverns in St. Paul. They have a "patio" that is basically an indoor space where there is a roof that can be rolled back. Is that outdoors? I've eaten in that space in the dead of winter. How about places with big garage doors that open up, like Surlys?

I think Walz unnecessarily stepped in it here. If he doesn't think it's safe for bars and restaurants to open, fine, keep them closed awhile longer. What's next, the Gophers can play their games (outdoor stadium) but the Vikings can't?
              There should really be a place to look into some of these questions you pose...

Comment

I see Hovey's still whining about the burdensome oppression people must endure.

What a snowflake. Goddam, when did we become so soft?
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

MN state fair board meets tomorrow. Could be a busy weekend of protesting!

Comment

MN state fair board meets tomorrow. Could be a busy weekend of protesting!
                    Heaven forbid I shouldn't be able to eat deep-fried lips and a55holes on a stick like a REAL 'Murican.

Comment

Like I said before, I absolutely love the Minnesota State Fair. It shouldn't happen this year. I'll enjoy finding and creating some memes about the protestors, but I fear it won't be as fun as the fair. Oh well, you take what you can get.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        lips and a55holes
                        Pig snouts and linoleum.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Like I said before, I absolutely love the Minnesota State Fair. It shouldn't happen this year. I'll enjoy finding and creating some memes about the protestors, but I fear it won't be as fun as the fair. Oh well, you take what you can get.
                          Your meme game has been top notch during the pandemic.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            I see Hovey's still whining about the burdensome oppression people must endure.

What a snowflake. Goddam, when did we become so soft?
                            I'm 55. I think of someone who was 55 when I was born and what they lived through.

Their earliest memories are of the horror of maybe losing a dad in WWI or entire towns wiped out by the Spanish Flu. They were coming of age and probably trying to start a family and make their mark when all of a sudden comes the unbelievable misery of the Great Depression, and they didn't endure that for months, but for years.

If they survived that they got to live through the worst calamity the world had ever faced in WWII. If they stayed on the homefront they gave up plenty of freedoms and were asked to sacrifice far more than I have been asked to do and if they put on a uniform and crossed an ocean to help the Russians (yes, the Russians) literally save the world, they lived through a series of horrors no human being should be asked to live through.

They watched one beloved president die and another shot down in the prime of his life. Maybe they had a son drafted into the military and sent off to die in Korea, or perhaps they held off having kids until after WWII along with the rest of the baby boomers only to see a son drafted to fight a war that eventually the majority of the country believed was futile and lost him in it.

Somehow though being asked to wear a mask is a hardship more egregious than the things someone born in 1910 lived through for decades on end.

Comment

I’m seeing a LOT more people who have been silent or not politically involved at all now up in arms about restaurants only open for patio service. This will really kick up the anti walz stuff
                              Yeah. Apparently it is part of a conspiracy to destroy small business. And it is coupled with how the Big Candy Store opened proving the conspiracy!

Good lord people are dumb.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                And it is coupled with how the Big Candy Store opened proving the conspiracy!
                                Beg pardon?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X