Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by burd View Post
    Minnesota has a good liberal tradition and has done a lot of things right in recent years. But simply calling it a "blue state" is a little misleading. Wisconsin has been awful in recent years, with the exception of Baldwin and, to some extent, Kohl. Still, Wisconsin was extremely close in '16, with HRC losing by a margin of only .7%. Minnesota was also very close, with HRC winning by a margin of only 1.5%. Of all the states that went blue, only NH had a smaller margin. No real point here, Handy, except to note that the difference between being blue and red can be very tenuous, something I hope drives us all this fall.
    We haven't gone red since Nixon. We are a blue state. We won't be close this time.

Don't try and paint us with your paint thinner brush! It ain't our fault you choose to live in hell
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      We haven't gone red since Nixon. We are a blue state. We won't be close this time.

Don't try and paint us with your paint thinner brush! It ain't our fault you choose to live in hell
      We're blue. Period.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Thoughts and prayers...

Oh and the #openMN Covidiots have been on a roll on twitter. Some are bots and some are just friggin stupid. Apparently since most deaths happen in Long Term Care Facilities (like the one near my house where plenty have died) that means everyone else is safe and we should open up. apparently you either have zero symptoms or die there is no inbetween with these *******s.

Maybe they can go drink some Clorox then they really wont have to worry.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Orcs won't care because case #'s in CO have been steadily on the decline the past few weeks.

Comment

CDC also silently updates website on Coronavirus, says it 'does not spread easily' via contaminated surfaces.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

And... four states have been combining the viral swab test results with the anti-body test results giving them as one result.

Which, we know the viral tells you who currently has the virus (helpful in containing it), and the anti-body test tells you who had the virus (as helpful as Monty Python's dead parakeet).
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Right but originally he wasnt saying they "werent effective" he was saying people need to not have a false sense of security just because they wear them. They decrease your chances but they dont make them zero. People as a whole dont think that way though they figure as long as they take minimal precautions they are fine which is not the case.

I cant speak to if he was saying that this time, but all of us around here agreed with that sentiment then and I still do now. I also wear the mask because I dont care if it only helps 1% that is 1% I plan to have on my side.

Of course it doesnt matter anymore. I was out kayaking today and at the lake there was tons of people (it was a gorgeous day) and not one was wearing a mask (except me and the workers) and there was no social distancing at all. If one person was there that had it there would be dozens of cases easy. I get that outside things are different, but jesus christ people it isnt that hard to stay a reasonable distance from others. You arent on the French Riviera here you at a lake in friggin Minneapolis.
                      The problem isn't the message, it's how it was said. The way I'm reading what he said (which I'm doing indirectly), he will easily be interpreted as "mask don't work" so don't bother with them. Assuming he actually thinks that they are an effective part of preventing spread- which I've not seen any real statements other than interpretations of the statements.

When you read that people should stop fooling themselves about how masks work, well.... And using data from 100 years ago when there's good modern data, well...

Defend his statements all you want- I want data.

Comment

This is why doing nothing will have a far worse impact on the economy. Thanks to greed, our food supply is very much under threat. Thanks.

Picture a large assembly plant that stays open and everyone gets sick at the same time- and the long term impact of that closing not to reopen quickly, but to have to somehow re-assemble the workforce. Bearing in mind- see the US auto industry- they all were VERY careful, and were shut down for 8 weeks. Back on line within a day of being allowed to restart. At the same time that many of them produced safety items during the shut down- in a carefully controlled manner.

Vs. the meat plants who have done nothing which are now closed. Instead of lowering production and keeping it open, we have nothing but sick and dying people and no supplies. And no idea when things could start up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Thoughts and prayers...

Oh and the #openMN Covidiots have been on a roll on twitter. Some are bots and some are just friggin stupid. Apparently since most deaths happen in Long Term Care Facilities (like the one near my house where plenty have died) that means everyone else is safe and we should open up. apparently you either have zero symptoms or die there is no inbetween with these *******s.

I’m seeing a LOT more people who have been silent or not politically involved at all now up in arms about restaurants only open for patio service. This will really kick up the anti walz stuff

Comment

Comment

Thoughts and prayers...

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                The problem isn't the message, it's how it was said. The way I'm reading what he said (which I'm doing indirectly), he will easily be interpreted as "mask don't work" so don't bother with them. Assuming he actually thinks that they are an effective part of preventing spread- which I've not seen any real statements other than interpretations of the statements.

When you read that people should stop fooling themselves about how masks work, well.... And using data from 100 years ago when there's good modern data, well...

Defend his statements all you want- I want data.
                                Ok, so I went back and watched his statements. There's no mistaking what he is saying- the clear message is that masks are not effective- because of a study in 1918 (we have different standards for mask now) and that the breakout happened in China even with masks (perhaps it reduced how far it spread????)

There's no indication that the message had anything to do with masks being an effective tool to lower transmissions along with social distancing. Nothing at all. There's no way to think that he thinks mask help at all based on that interview. When there is real data showing otherwise.

Are they THE cure- of course not. Do they let you relax social distancing- of course not. But they do HELP. And thanks to the interview, the kind doctor has just given a TON of credibility to not wear masks. Add that to the disdain of distancing, and- Houston, we have a problem.

It would have been a lot better had he been less dismissive about that, even half as emphasis about testing and tracking.

Sad that people who thinks this is a hoax has more reasons to not do anything. Although for those of us taking it seriously- I can deal with the ridicule- especially if it avoids me getting sick and possibly dying. I'll keep wearing my seat belt when I drive.

And it sucks worse when someone who was supposedly a trusted part of the scientific community dismisses data that easily when there are serious holes in how he drew the conclusions.
                                Last edited by alfablue; 05-21-2020, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X