Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    F-ck yes, this. The full bore (!) Catholic service is Wagner without the beauty. Or humor. No thanks.
    For years, growing up, the full service and the wedding reception "only" being 300-400 people minimum...yep. That's what my experience has been.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I do love how somehow your anecdotal evidence is more accurate and relevant the everyone else's. Is that a trait I get in my 50s?

Maybe you wouldnt get challenged on your assertions so much if you didnt always speak in absolutes. You would probably be right more often as well
      Oh FFS, absolutes are shorthand for "In my opinion" and "In my experience." Obviously, every statement that is not a tautological fact has these things implicitly attached to it.

Has that really been the problem? That when I say "I lied..." when I'm saying "I was mistaken, ..." you frickin' hayseeds actually think that means I lied to you?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        No, we’re not. We’re using science and fact to establish data-based guidelines.
        Masks are useless. Kinda. But required now. 5'9" is bad, but 6'1" is okay. Plus 15 minutes. We think. It's on material goods. But, maybe not as strong as we thought.

We're adapting to very limited knowledge.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          Masks are useless. Kinda. But required now. 5'9" is bad, but 6'1" is okay. Plus 15 minutes. We think. It's on material goods. But, maybe not as strong as we thought.

We're adapting to very limited knowledge.
          Except masks aren’t useless.

No, the 6’-1” thing is a profoundly ignorant republican meme. Which you’ve apparently swallowed almost back the rod and reel.

Timing is about viral load and statistical chance of infection. Just like almost all of these things which Fark Independents seem really reluctant to even attempt to understand.

Survival on various materials and the changes in this data is based on evolving research.

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD NECESSARILY REQUIRES CHANGES AND REVISIONS.

I want to ****ing staple that to the forehead of every republican.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Masks are useless. Kinda. But required now.
            https://yandoo.wordpress.com/2013/12...ution-fallacy/

The Perfect Solution Fallacy (also known as the ‘Nirvana Fallacy‘) is a false dichotomy that occurs when an argument assumes that a perfect solution to a problem exists; and that a proposed solution should be rejected because some part of the problem would still exist after it were implemented. In other words, that a course of action should be rejected because it is not perfect, even though it is the best option available.

This fallacy is an example of black and white thinking, in which a person fails to see the complex interplay between multiple component elements of a situation or problem, and as a result, reduces complex problems to a pair of binary extremes.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-22-2020, 11:35 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

No, the 6’-1” thing is a profoundly ignorant republican meme. Which you’ve apparently swallowed almost back the rod and reel.

Timing is about viral load and statistical chance of infection. Just like almost all of these things which Fark Independents seem really reluctant to even attempt to understand.

Survival on various materials and the changes in this data is based on evolving research.

I don’t even know why you bother.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

At first they said N95, that's the only good ones. Then....well, just have a mask. It's not perfect, but it helps (it does, a little, but not the best). Then go outside, but don't go outside. Everyone moves the goalposts as we move forward. This is NOT a right/left thing for me. This is a science thing. And they keep changing the parameters, and generally, sure, the main safeguards remain the same. The details change. Which makes me wonder what else has changed?

We can have someone get a 30 minute perm/haircut/whatever, but 50 people with proper spacing and added safety measures on TOP of what is actually required is still a no go? Frustrating.

Comment

It IS all the gray. That's my point. I'm sure many of you have seen that viral video of the woman explain the rules (I honestly wish I could find the link, I cannot, makes me genuinely sad). There are so many contradictions and backpedaling on the rules, it's insane.

No, I'm NOT for opening ALL up, like some out there. It's step by step. I'm just wishing that those steps are the same for everyone, equal opportunity, and I don't see that they are at this point.

The link, from what I can find, is only on FB.
                  Last edited by The Rube; 05-22-2020, 11:51 PM.

Comment

At first they said N95, that's the only good ones.
                    PPE is about protecting yourself from whatever atmosphere you are in. So it would have to be a properly fitted N95 and checked regularly. In this case the thought is any mask stops you from spewing virus into someone elses face. That may or may not be true depending on lots of factors. My guess would be it does help in most cases. I doubt a bandanna over your face does diddly squat if you cough or sneeze. I also doubt they stop you from getting Covid if they are soaked and you keep readjusting them with your dirty hands. Probably the best thing you can do is become a hermit in the middle of the hundred acre wood. If I go into Home Depot etc, I'm wearing a mask
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      So, I will refer to my patio post. They are not moving. They are sitting down, eating and drinking and conversing. Go with those rules.
                      Why don't you just give it up? You're a frickin' idiot, and all your excuse making for why it should be this way instead of that way just continues to demonstrate that fact.

Once you come to accept that nothing that is happening is safe, just being done to placate the Covidiots like you, the better off we'll be.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

At first they said N95, that's the only good ones. Then....well, just have a mask. It's not perfect, but it helps (it does, a little, but not the best). Then go outside, but don't go outside. Everyone moves the goalposts as we move forward. This is NOT a right/left thing for me. This is a science thing. And they keep changing the parameters, and generally, sure, the main safeguards remain the same. The details change. Which makes me wonder what else has changed?

We can have someone get a 30 minute perm/haircut/whatever, but 50 people with proper spacing and added safety measures on TOP of what is actually required is still a no go? Frustrating.
                        Instead of listening to all of the various opinions out there, look at data. Look at the data required to get sick in terms of how much exposure you need, there are multiple studies that give you a good range of what is needed. Look at the data of flow of particles- which gives you a range of what is a good distance to stay from each other (again, multiple studies). Look at the data on masks, including data that is masks made of home made materials.

All of those studies will explain why churches are not the same as stores. Why 6ft is a recommendation based on statistics. Why masks are effective in preventing spreading. Why there's a big difference between inside and out (and it's not just wind). And why nothing is perfect.

In theory, you went to college, and are capable of drawing your own conclusions based on the data.

Instead of letting someone else cherry pick what conclusions THEY want to draw.

It's JUST science.

And stop the "bothsiderism" that you keep bringing up. I've still yet to see one D opinion that is dangerous to your health, nor one D opinion that actually wants to end the economy. If you find one, please post it. On the other hand, there are plenty of R opinions that are horrible for your health. And we've seen R actions that are bad for companies (staying open will close you down) which is worse for the economy.

Yes, nothing is perfect, but the lighter shades of gray means less people die. It's not a hard conclusion.

Comment

I grew up Roman Catholic. Have attended the FULL wedding services, and attended the "edited" ones. Gimme the latter.
                          There isn’t an edited service. There’s a wedding ceremony and a nuptial mass. Some people just go with the wedding ceremony. Others go with a nuptial mass. There is NO EDITING of a church service. It is what it is. Jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            There isn’t an edited service. There’s a wedding ceremony and a nuptial mass. Some people just go with the wedding ceremony. Others go with a nuptial mass. There is NO EDITING of a church service. It is what it is. Jeez.
                            For RC masses, obviously communion is a bad idea. Leave that out. Shorten the sermon, omit the songs, just go with the readings.

Yes, that is changing tradition and protocol, but sometimes one has to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

All of those studies will explain why churches are not the same as stores. Why 6ft is a recommendation based on statistics. Why masks are effective in preventing spreading. Why there's a big difference between inside and out (and it's not just wind). And why nothing is perfect.
                              The St Paul Basilica holds 3000. I'd bet dollars to donuts that having 50 people in there, spread out, is safer than any retail store.

Now, would I put 10 people in a 50 person church? No.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Not advocating for churches to be opened, but given the circumstances, why couldn’t a priest or pastor come up with an abbreviated service if the science indicated that made it possible to open and allow people to worship? Is the church that set in their ways that they are unable to adapt?

Comment

Working...
                                X