Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It took the combination of a tough bug and a completely incompetent government to exceed 100k. Without Dump and the GOP in power it would have been "just" another one of these once-per-decade hits where you lose 10k or so.

But the apes needed to make their point. Welp, point made.
    People wanted the federal government out of their lives. Wanted a federal government that would just stand back, stay out of the way, and let the initiative and creative genius of the individual to blossom. Basically, federal government, get out of the way.

Well, they got their wish.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Whoop whoop

“ Alabama has reported more than 4,900 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the last two weeks as it has gradually allowed businesses to reopen, with its rate of positive cases climbing from 5 percent at the start of the month to 8 percent, trending upward even as more people are allowed go out.

Montgomery Mayor Steve Reed warns: “I think certainly people have decided that the pandemic is over, that there's not a risk out there... and that’s a mistake that we’ve been making over the last few weeks, is we have kind of eased restrictions in this community and across the state. We’re still in the middle of a crisis. We’re still battling this pandemic."

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        People wanted the federal government out of their lives. Wanted a federal government that would just stand back, stay out of the way, and let the initiative and creative genius of the individual to blossom. Basically, federal government, get out of the way.
        And those who can spell but not comprehend claim Jeffersonian ideals, while the vast majority of the red horde can't distinguish his philosophy on governing from Hamilton's.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          A lot of people here imply that our government is about money over people. So why not hospitals too? Everyone gets paid at the expense of lives!
          No, people have been complaining about the hospital system for some time, being that it's profit driven as opposed to helping people. Which is why so many hospitals have closed, since they can't make money. That, and the billing structure is about procedure numbers as opposed to outcomes and prevention.

The hospital industry does not stay blameless. But they are not the ones who sat on their hands when this all came about.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            No, people have been complaining about the hospital system for some time, being that it's profit driven as opposed to helping people. Which is why so many hospitals have closed, since they can't make money. That, and the billing structure is about procedure numbers as opposed to outcomes and prevention.

The hospital industry does not stay blameless. But they are not the ones who sat on their hands when this all came about.
            This.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              It took the combination of a tough bug and a completely incompetent government to exceed 100k. Without Dump and the GOP in power it would have been "just" another one of these once-per-decade hits where you lose 10k or so.

But the apes needed to make their point. Welp, point made.
              You know, I've been thinking way too much about different scenarios and how this would have unfolded with each:

1. Joe Biden deciding to run in 2016 and not Hilary Clinton. Would he have been able to win?
              2. Hilary Clinton actually pulling it out in 2016.
              3. One of the hundreds [/sarcasm] other Republicans winning the nomination over Trump and having that person win in 2016.

Most specifically #3. I know the Republicans are awful, awful people but would we be in a similar situation right now if any of the other guys managed to win the nomination over Trump?

Comment

If Biden had run in 2016 he would have wiped the floor with Hillary and then Dump. If nothing else, he'd have swept those rust belt states, but I think he'd have destroyed Dump among white working class non-racists in general. Dump would have been looking down the barrel of a Goldwater wipeout, and the rest of the party would have started throwing him under the bus leading to a dumpster fire. They might have even pulled a Cleveland Screw Job.
                Last edited by Kepler; 05-26-2020, 02:03 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  You know, I've been thinking way too much about different scenarios and how this would have unfolded with each:

1. Joe Biden deciding to run in 2016 and not Hilary Clinton. Would he have been able to win?
                  2. Hilary Clinton actually pulling it out in 2016.
                  3. One of the hundreds [/sarcasm] other Republicans winning the nomination over Trump and having that person win in 2016.

Most specifically #3. I know the Republicans are awful, awful people but would we be in a similar situation right now if any of the other guys managed to win the nomination over Trump?
                  Not so sure about the republicans who ran in 2016, but looking at our last republican president and I have little doubt the response would have been better and more effective. W got off the beaten track once in a while when he wanted to play his "End of Times" games, but overall I am fairly certain he would trust a roomful of doctors and researchers who offered timely advice and he likely would have had a more empathetic way of dealing with the pain of people all over the country. As a way of comparison, I think trump's handling of the coronavirus is far worse than the Bush administration's handling of Hurricane Katrina, and in some ways this crisis may have been easier to deal with since we already knew the handful of things that were going to work.

Hell, how hard would it have been for trump to just do what he did in the middle and end of March instead at the end of February and the beginning of March. Had he done so, tens of thousands would still be alive. Had we taken those measures 10 days earlier and done so everywhere (forceful leadership from their dear leader would have left hesitant governors little choice in their minds but to support trump) and if we don't get a resurgence in the fall, then this would have been handled as best as our messed up healthcare system would have allowed. And trump would only be an awful person and terrible president instead of the mass killer he is.

*eta* Actually any number of those running in 2016 would have had a better go of this than trump. Kasich, Bush, former New Jersey goverors, lots of them. These people all would have seen that doing what trump did meant thousands more would die. Doing something right means they wouldn't have. No doubt that the outcome would have been better. Either Clinton or Biden would have had as effective response as our system and society would tolerate. We would still have numbers per capita worse than a place like South Korea, but a lot of people who have died in the last 3 months would be alive and well right now.
                  Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 05-26-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    Not so sure about the republicans who ran in 2016, but looking at our last republican president and I have little doubt the response would have been better and more effective. W got off the beaten track once in a while when he wanted to play his "End of Times" games, but overall I am fairly certain he would trust a roomful of doctors and researchers who offered timely advice and he likely would have had a more empathetic way of dealing with the pain of people all over the country. As a way of comparison, I think trump's handling of the coronavirus is far worse than the Bush administration's handling of Hurricane Katrina, and in some ways this crisis may have been easier to deal with since we already knew the handful of things that were going to work.

Hell, how hard would it have been for trump to just do what he did in the middle and end of March instead at the end of February and the beginning of March. Had he done so, tens of thousands would still be alive. Had we taken those measures 10 days earlier and done so everywhere (forceful leadership from their dear leader would have left hesitant governors little choice in their minds but to support trump) and if we don't get a resurgence in the fall, then this would have been handled as best as our messed up healthcare system would have allowed. And trump would only be an awful person and terrible president instead of the mass killer he is.

*eta* Actually any number of those running in 2016 would have had a better go of this than trump. Kasich, Bush, former New Jersey goverors, lots of them. These people all would have seen that doing what trump did meant thousands more would die. Doing something right means they wouldn't have. No doubt that the outcome would have been better. Either Clinton or Biden would have had as effective response as our system and society would tolerate. We would still have numbers per capita worse than a place like South Korea, but a lot of people who have died in the last 3 months would be alive and well right now.
                    We all know that W wasn't the brightest knife on the tree, but he did listen to a lot of experts that actually knew something because of that. He would have done the same in this situation.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      We all know that W wasn't the brightest knife on the tree, but he did listen to a lot of experts that actually knew something because of that. He would have done the same in this situation.
                      There was certainly an issue of WHO he would listen to, especially when it came to geo-politics. But yes, with something like this where the urgency and general course would be evident to anyone with half a brain, and it would not seem objectionable to pretty much any person with a shred of decency, he would very likely pick the right people and then actually listen to them.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        South Korea was a model and if only we could follow it. But we’re too selfish.

Tracing and quarantining would result in people getting shot
                        Cuz its just given the gubmint permission to spy on us!!!
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

“ A new report shows that under the Obama administration, the federal government began working on regulations mandating the healthcare industry prepare for an airborne infectious disease pandemic. But federal records show the Trump administration stopped work on those regulations, part of a larger effort to make good on a campaign promise to cut down on federal regulations.”

Republicans can burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            “ A new report shows that under the Obama administration, the federal government began working on regulations mandating the healthcare industry prepare for an airborne infectious disease pandemic. But federal records show the Trump administration stopped work on those regulations, part of a larger effort to make good on a campaign promise to cut down on federal regulations.”
                            That is the kind of story that will never run on Fox News or Hate Radio.

Conservatism can never fail, it can only be failed.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Screaming at Johnny Cash's granddaughter who nearly died of H1N1 to own the libs.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Biden is on CNN (I would guess taped) and good god I am not big fan of his but he is destroying Trump over every aspect of the disease. Hell at one point he is talking about the mcaho bs and just goes "ya know what I shouldnt even get going" and it was more Presidential than anything Trump has said in his entire term.

Also isnt ducking being called out for the "You arent Black" comment.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X