Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At It

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Now you're starting to get it.
    Must be nice to be able to roll out of bed and log into your Cush job in your PJ’s

Comment

• Stopped reading after he talked about heart disease as though that's comparable with a contagious virus.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Never been to those three areas you describe, but surely mixed in with the "corporate" businesses are small owned business so the influx would still likely be an economic influx to the cities.. i understand the big corporation sentiment though.
        If you haven't been to those places, it's the phrase "Tourist Trap" on steroids. There may be one here and one there for small, locally owned business, but more of what you see along "main drags" in these areas are businesses that are all tied together with just a handful of owners. Unless one of these business has owned the same plot of land since the 40s or 50s, the $1 mil and beyond property values are keeping them out. These are big business entities taking the local flavor of the area and exploiting it. What you see as a tourist is just a vainer.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          I hope some of the people that own 3,4,5 Air B&B properties default on their mortgages and people looking for year round homes actually have a shot without someone overbidding them to add to their “investment portfolio”. I might buy one and convert it to a year round rental.
          This. It’s shameful all of that nonsense was allowed to happen in the first place. And to be clear I have no issue with someone renting out an extra bedroom or something like that.

We will see what happens, but I suspect the role tourism plays in Maine’s economy is overstated. A lot of the workers and where a lot of the profits go are to folks from out of state.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            If you haven't been to those places, it's the phrase "Tourist Trap" on steroids. There may be one here and one there for small, locally owned business, but more of what you see along "main drags" in these areas are businesses that are all tied together with just a handful of owners. Unless one of these business has owned the same plot of land since the 40s or 50s, the $1 mil and beyond property values are keeping them out. These are big business entities taking the local flavor of the area and exploiting it. What you see as a tourist is just a vainer.
            Probably part of the reason I’ve never been to any of them.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19 The 10th Part: Might As Well Reject No Shirt, No Shoes While You're At

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              I'm torn on the economic impact to tourist areas.

I have no love lost to "corporate" (lack of a better term) tourist areas that rely heavily on foreign labor and the money they collect doesn't stay local. Think Myrtle Beach, SC/Pigeon Forge, TN/Wisconsin Dells, WI.

Where I do feel bad is for places like mentioned above in Maine or small resort towns in Wisconsin. There it's local small business that will feel the brunt. Joe's Gas & Grocery has 20 employees who all live within 35 minutes of the store and all have lived in the area their entire lives. They get 70% of their yearly sales between May 1 and Oct 1. That is a completely different scenario.
              I live close to WI Dells and can say that a lot of local people benefit financially. That said, you are essentially right. There were a lot of mom and pops in the Dells when I moved here 27 years ago, including restaurants and small hotels. Not anymore.

Like most such places, the locals stay clear most of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Stopped reading after he talked about heart disease as though that's comparable with a contagious virus.
                I also don't think it can be overstated, the right left the rest of us with no choice. They denied the severity of coronavirus for precious weeks, claiming it to be nothing more than a liberal media hoax designed to ensure trump would not be re-elected. When the evidence became so overwhelming that it wasn't a hoax, the right then just said "no" to everything, and trotted out the misapplied notion that "the cure can't be worse than the disease." All trump created with that was the belief among 45% (at the time) of the population that we may as well just let coronavirus run its course and then we'd have herd immunity, despite there being no underlying scientific evidence that the population would react in that way to this particular virus.

On top of all the missteps trump made for the first month when people were dying, he continued with all the childish feuding with the media and the politicians who refused to bend over for him, and that created even more issues. Again, the only choice the governors and other politicians who acted like grown-ups were what we saw, massive shutdowns. The blame for all the excess deaths and all the economic chaos is squarely trump's, with some of the leftover going to his enablers in congress.

To be sure, we are ill-equipped as a nation to handle this. Our healthcare system is profit driven, not care driven, and as long as that reality continues we will NEVER be prepared for a pandemic as well as we should be. But don't think for 2 seconds that we can't clearly place blame for the horrors of 100,000 Americans dying in 3 months from a virus that in South Korea has killed 267 people. If our rates were similar based on population, the United States total deaths would be fewer than 2000. 98,000 people have died that absolutely did not need to die. And all trump can say is what he said very early on in this crisis, that he bares no personal responsibility.

Be proud republicans. Be very proud.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  I live close to WI Dells and can say that a lot of local people benefit financially. That said, you are essentially right. There were a lot of mom and pops in the Dells when I moved here 27 years ago, including restaurants and small hotels. Not anymore.

Like most such places, the locals stay clear most of the year.
                  There is economic impact to be had for the local market, for sure. But as a whole, they have to operate outside of the core area of the Dells. Basically draw the line where the customer service people's accents changes from an Eastern European one to the local 'Sconnie accent.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    There is economic impact to be had for the local market, for sure. But as a whole, they have to operate outside of the core area of the Dells. Basically draw the line where the customer service people's accents changes from an Eastern European one to the local 'Sconnie accent.
                    The foreign worker thing does have an upside. Most area teenagers work the waterparks, hotels, and restaurants in the Dells at one time or another. The kids from Russia, Turkey, and eastern Europe are hard workers, generally, and expose our kids to a little diversity they might not otherwise get until they leave home. And there are always plenty of those jobs available.

With this virus? I don't know, and I'm not sure the "players" there know. While the business owners will push to reopen as much and as soon as possible, local parents will be very careful about allowing their kids to work there this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      This. It’s shameful all of that nonsense was allowed to happen in the first place. And to be clear I have no issue with someone renting out an extra bedroom or something like that.

We will see what happens, but I suspect the role tourism plays in Maine’s economy is overstated. A lot of the workers and where a lot of the profits go are to folks from out of state.
                      Here is the thing then... where is the line between whats ok and whats not ok? Renting out a room is ok. Is someone having a vacation home they rent out half the time OK? What about a tradesperson owning a single income property? Is that OK?

As to the overall economy I agree I don't know how big of a role tourism is, but to our friends who own a bed and breakfast (not an air-b-n-b a real bed and breakfast), our friend who is head housekeeper at a different hotel and has a side business of housecleaning in the summer months and people along those lines.... its probably going to be devastating.

Comment

Must be nice to be able to roll out of bed and log into your Cush job in your PJ’s
                        You have no idea what the **** you're talking about. I suggest you quit now, before you make even more a fool of yourself.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Stopped reading after he talked about heart disease as though that's comparable with a contagious virus.
                          Look at the other articles it links too...I wonder which troll this guy is.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This is irony: we will hit 100,000 today, Memorial Day.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              You have no idea what the **** you're talking about. I suggest you quit now, before you make even more a fool of yourself.
                              Enjoy your zoom metings this week.

Comment

Enjoy your zoom metings this week.
                                **** you very much.

Ladies and gentlemen, Rube and Drew are no longer the dumbest people on this board.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X