X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.64: Governance By Unhinged Twitter Rants

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    $5 says that Dumpy tries to host this at Mar-A-Lago if there are any issues with NC
    This might be a legal question, but can Chump hold his convention in a place where the governor says yes and the city says no? For example, if Kemp wants it in GA but Atlanta's mayor says no, or it needs to have strict conditions attached, doesn't that kill the idea? Even if someone runs to court that's going to take multiple appeals and you can't exactly throw a convention for 20,000 people (Chump's preference) with a moment's notice.

This could be an issue in Nashville (Dem mayor I believe) or Houston, or a lot of other places. Not sure what the largest Gooper run city is but most are Dem controlled on a local level.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
      This might be a legal question, but can Chump hold his convention in a place where the governor says yes and the city says no? For example, if Kemp wants it in GA but Atlanta's mayor says no, or it needs to have strict conditions attached, doesn't that kill the idea? Even if someone runs to court that's going to take multiple appeals and you can't exactly throw a convention for 20,000 people (Chump's preference) with a moment's notice.

This could be an issue in Nashville (Dem mayor I believe) or Houston, or a lot of other places. Not sure what the largest Gooper run city is but most are Dem controlled on a local level.
      Municipalities are creatures of the state, not independent sovereigns. So a governor can override a mayor.

Comment

Greenland is nice in the summer
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Municipalities are creatures of the state, not independent sovereigns. So a governor can override a mayor.
          Not necessarily, Anchorage has repeatedly gone beyond the State with COVID-19 measures.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Not necessarily, Anchorage has repeatedly gone beyond the State with COVID-19 measures.
            Why would the state push back on that? Having the ability to override doesnt mean they do in every instance.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Municipalities are creatures of the state, not independent sovereigns.
              Oh, man, do not make this argument in the Commonwealth or they will have hot tar, feathers, and a rail waiting for you.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What about home rule Charter cities like exist in Minnesota? Those cities are given extremely broad powers to adopt charters, which are essentially their own citywide constitution, and quite frequently those charters may impose rules more restrictive than state law. I'm not certain the Governor, at least in Minnesota, has the authority to just override that.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Oh, man, do not make this argument in the Commonwealth or they will have hot tar, feathers, and a rail waiting for you.
                  FTFA: Virginia's independent cities were classified by the Virginia General Assembly in 1871 as cities of the first class and cities of the second class.[2] The Virginia Constitution of 1902 defined first class cities as those having a population of 10,000 or more based upon the last census enumeration while second class cities were those that had a population of less than 10,000.

Yeah, creatures of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    What about home rule Charter cities like exist in Minnesota? Those cities are given extremely broad powers to adopt charters, which are essentially their own citywide constitution, and quite frequently those charters may impose rules more restrictive than state law. I'm not certain the Governor, at least in Minnesota, has the authority to just override that.
                    The State giveth, and the State can taketh away.

That doesn't mean they will. But states are more independent of the federal government than cities or counties are of the state.
                    Last edited by unofan; 06-03-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Another question while I have the lawyers here. The Roberts court just ruled in a 5-4 decision that Newsom can in fact restrict the # of people who can worship at a church due to public health concerns if I read the write up of the case correctly. Several fundies were butthurt over this because apparently he went further than he needed to in his ruling and could have just punted the case.

So, if the public health issue is still present, wouldn't a Gooper Gov basically have to declare that the virus threat is minimal and the entire state is open for large gatherings, including a national convention? You couldn't get away with just doing a one time except for the GOP convention, right, while everywhere else had to adhere to whatever the guidelines are at time?
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

FTFA: Virginia's independent cities were classified by the Virginia General Assembly in 1871 as cities of the first class and cities of the second class.[2] The Virginia Constitution of 1902 defined first class cities as those having a population of 10,000 or more based upon the last census enumeration while second class cities were those that had a population of less than 10,000.

Yeah, creatures of the state.
                        I'm not talking about the law. I am talking about reality. The law is a story we tell ourselves later to make the world seem under our control and just. But the fine crackers, er, citizens of Virginia are not interested in a sovereign they cannot punch in the nose after a leisurely walk from their doorway.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The State giveth, and the State can taketh away.

That doesn't mean they will. But states are more independent of the federal government than cities or counties are of the state.
                          Sure, the legislature could enact a law, and then presuming the city charter provision was over the same subject matter, a court would probably say that the state legislation preempts the charter provision. But that's legislation. I don't think a governor can just disagree with a mayor or even a city council (at least in Minnesota) and say "you can't do that."
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Sure, the legislature could enact a law, and then presuming the city charter provision was over the same subject matter, a court would probably say that the state legislation preempts the charter provision. But that's legislation. I don't think a governor can just disagree with a mayor or even a city council (at least in Minnesota) and say "you can't do that."
                            If a state administration said, "the GOP convention meets all conditions for being held in this state and will not pose a threat to public health, therefore we will bring it here to this privately owned arena," I wouldn't want to be the city attorney trying to block it.

Comment

Look who decided to finally speak up!

Comment

His concern isn't even noted and logged.

It is well written but like Dubya it changes nothing about my opinion of him.
                                Last edited by Handyman; 06-03-2020, 05:54 PM.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X