X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.64: Governance By Unhinged Twitter Rants

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    If he does that, then the breitbart's and drudge's of the world should be even more nervous.

This is the epitome of biting off your nose to spite your face.
    Aren't the Breitbarts and Drudges of the world already subject to that? Wasn't that what the Hulk Hogan case was about?

I thought the way it worked is that if I run a website like USCHO, and one of my columnists writes a defamatory column, I can be sued just like the NY Times, along with the columnist. However, if Kepler comes onto the USCHO message board and makes a defamatory comment, USCHO is not liable under the same exemption that sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc..., receive.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Aren't the Breitbarts and Drudges of the world already subject to that? Wasn't that what the Hulk Hogan case was about?

I thought the way it worked is that if I run a website like USCHO, and one of my columnists writes a defamatory column, I can be sued just like the NY Times, along with the columnist. However, if Kepler comes onto the USCHO message board and makes a defamatory comment, USCHO is not liable under the same exemption that sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc..., receive.
      While I admit it's been years since I've clicked on a breitbart link, I vaguely remember there being a comments section at the bottom of their articles where the sycophants went to town.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        No, the Hulk Hogan case was the fact that Gawker got Bubba the Love Sponge's DVD (or a copy) where Hulk Hogan was bangin' Bubba's wife. Hulk Hogan argued that while he was a public celebrity, it wasn't right for his junk to be broadcast to the world.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          While I admit it's been years since I've clicked on a breitbart link, I vaguely remember there being a comments section at the bottom of their articles where the sycophants went to town.
          Yeah, you are certainly right about the comments section. But I think that for columns written, those sites are already subject to the same rules that apply to the NY Times, Gawker, etc...
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            No, the Hulk Hogan case was the fact that Gawker got Bubba the Love Sponge's DVD (or a copy) where Hulk Hogan was bangin' Bubba's wife. Hulk Hogan argued that while he was a public celebrity, it wasn't right for his junk to be broadcast to the world.
            Right, Gawker published it.

What we are talking about is what if someone posted a 20 second clip of it on Twitter or Facebook? Right now Twitter and Facebook could not be held liable under the exemption that Trump is threatening to take away.

Edit. What it really comes down to is, "who is the publisher?" Facebook and Twitter argue (thus far successfully) that they aren't the "publisher" (it's not their content), they just provide the electronic platform to do it.

Comment

Trump won't care if there are unintended consequences because he's never considered anything but his own instant gratification. He doesn't use Breitbart or Drudge to brainwash his sycophants and if he can threaten Twitter's existence because they might possibly have to legitimately consider if they'd be sued into oblivion he wins this fight.

Surely this would be brought to the SC but would that happen in time? He's in desperation mode to win this election and is going to stop short of actually murdering someone on Fifth Avenue even though we know no one would care if he did.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                If he does that, then the breitbart's and drudge's of the world should be even more nervous.

This is the epitome of biting off your nose to spite your face.
                So, then Twitter should be pulling his tweets, rather than leaving up his blatant falsehoods against Joe Scarborough, and leaving themselves open to potential lawsuits?

What's the downside here?
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  So, then Twitter should be pulling his tweets, rather than leaving up his blatant falsehoods against Joe Scarborough, and leaving themselves open to potential lawsuits?

The downside for Twitter is that there is a lot of nonsense on Twitter outside of what Trump tweets. His would have to be among the first to go, but where to start, and for that matter, how do they even manage it? Is someone going to read every single tweet?

Comment

You don't kick him off. You write laws such that particular statements carry penalties. Political speech should be protected, but libelous speech by political figures it still libel.

You can't just accuse somebody of murder.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

He's never actually accused Joe of anything. All Trump does, as he has done for EVERYTHING in his past, is to give you point A, point B, and a pencil for you to draw the line between them. He does it for EVERYTHING.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Comment

He's never actually accused Joe of anything. All Trump does, as he has done for EVERYTHING in his past, is to give you point A, point B, and a pencil for you to draw the line between them. He does it for EVERYTHING.
                          Well that's called being a d-ck but it isn't illegal and it should not be censored. The punishment is having an electorate who understands where that leads and who punishes that behavior.

The law isn't the problem. The problem is voters who are too lazy, stupid, or crass to realize that not enforcing standards of conduct leads to a cesspool society where people like Dump claw everyone down to their level.

There will always be Deplorables. And I guess we have to let them vote because of certain questionable tenets of democracy. But it doesn't mean we have to hand them the keys when they're drunk.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-28-2020, 11:25 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

To all the ancient walker-using boomers who would normally be the citizens most apt to mail in your votes: this year, just take a second to think about what your lord and master has said about the validity of mail-in voting before you slobber on that envelope with your leathery gray tongue. Then don't do it. You'd be participating in a horrific crime. Better not to vote at all.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

My thought too.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Why can't the victim's family sue him though? Sorta like what's going on with the Seth Rich case? Or Alex Jones and the Newtown parents?
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X