Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB 2020: We'll Play Ball, I Guess.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Plague will make the Mets a perennial powerhouse.
    We're gonna have a Mets vs Tigers World Series.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      As should have happened in 2006.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I will gift you a sim of the 84 Tigers vs 86 Mets using the 1986 style of baseball.

Mets win the series 4-0.

Game 1 @NYM : Mets 4, Tigers 3
        Gooden vs Petry

Ray Knight the hero with a walk off single in the 9th. Mets scored 3 times in that inning off Willie Hernandez.

Gibson and Parrish both homered for Detroit.

Game 2 @NYM: Mets 7, Tigers 1
        Fernandez vs Morris

Fernandez threw a 3-hitter (140 pitches) over 8.1 innings.

Wilson, Strawberry, Knight homered for NY. Parrish again for Detroit.

Game 3 @DET: Tigers 4, Mets 5
        Wilcox vs Ojeda

Dykstra produced a 2-run single in the 8th to put the Mets ahead.

Parrish and Gibson homered for Detroit. Thats 3 straight games for Parrish!

Game 4 @DET: Tigers 8, Mets 9 (11th)
        Berenguer vs Darling

Dykstra (9-15, .600, 1 HR, 6 RBI) named World Series MVP. Had a HR in this game. Parrish homered in his 4th straight game for Detroit. His only 4 hits in the series.

In the 11th, Howard Johnson scored from 3rd on a throwing error after Mookie Wilsons single had moved him from 2nd.

Edit: A sim of the 2006 teams playing doesn't go any better for Detroit. Mets won 4-0 again. Carlos Delgado named series MVP.
        Last edited by JF_Gophers; 05-25-2020, 05:07 PM.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Your Tiger rotation is screwed up. Morris would have gone games 1-4-7, had it got to that point. Berenguer would have gone long relief after either Petry or Wilcox got knocked out. Even so, the Mets probably would have won in 6. As good as the Tigers were for one year in 1984, that Mets team was incredible.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            ...maybe in 2025 or so.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Your Tiger rotation is screwed up. Morris would have gone games 1-4-7, had it got to that point. Berenguer would have gone long relief after either Petry or Wilcox got knocked out. Even so, the Mets probably would have won in 6. As good as the Tigers were for one year in 1984, that Mets team was incredible.
              Ya, its imperfect. I can adjust rotations or let AI do it.
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                Ya, its imperfect. I can adjust rotations or let AI do it.
                That's a major flaw in the AI in this particular case. Morris was the unquestioned ace of that staff, and the clear-cut game 1 starter in any big series. The proper postseason rotation of that staff was Morris-Petry-Wilcox. Berenguer/Rozema would have come on in long relief.

Even so, the end result likely wouldn't have mattered. The Mets were a smidge better that the Tigers. Probably the only 80's champ you can concretely say that about. That '84 team was magical.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  That's a major flaw in the AI in this particular case. Morris was the unquestioned ace of that staff, and the clear-cut game 1 starter in any big series. The proper postseason rotation of that staff was Morris-Petry-Wilcox. Berenguer/Rozema would have come on in long relief.

Even so, the end result likely wouldn't have mattered. The Mets were a smidge better that the Tigers. Probably the only 80's champ you can concretely say that about. That '84 team was magical.
                  I feel an 80s WS tournament of champions coming on. No live baseball, might as well.

I'll pay more attention to the staff and lineup cards.
                  Last edited by JF_Gophers; 05-25-2020, 06:14 PM.
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

You could do that and push it to 16 teams, including a few that we could argue should have won as well, like the '85 Blue Jays, '87 Tigers, '88 A's, and maybe even the '81 Yankees.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Our 10 auto-bids go to:

1980 Phillies, 1981 Dodgers, 1982 Cardinals, 1983 Orioles, 1984 Tigers, 1985 Royals, 1986 Mets, 1987 Twins, 1988 Dodgers, 1989 A's.

For the extra 6 teams:

The WS runner's up we have to choose from: 1980 Royals, 1981 Yankees, 1982 Brewers, 1983 Phillies, 1984 Padres, 1985 Cardinals, 1986 Red Sox, 1987 Cardinals, 1988 A's, 1989 Giants.

For write-ins, i'm thinking about: 88 Mets, 87 Tigers, 86 Astros, 85 Blue Jays, 83 White Sox, 80 Yankees, 80 Orioles

Notable: The 81 season was not a full season.
                      Last edited by JF_Gophers; 05-25-2020, 07:02 PM.
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

My heart is going to break with the '82 Brewers losing in a devastating late inning, clinching game, again, aren't they?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Statistically the top 6 non WS winners (of those listed) are: 81 Yankees, 85 Blue Jays, 80 Yankees, 85 Yankees, 88 Mets, 82 Angels.

But we probably want more diversity than 3 Yankee clubs.

So then the top 6 are: 81 Yankees, 85 Blue Jays, 88 Mets, 82 Angels, 87 Tigers, 88 A's

Next 6 (w/ diversity) are: 82 Brewers, 80 Orioles, 83 White Sox, 86 Red Sox, 80 Royals, 86 Astros
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Not looking great for a season right now.

A’s announced they will stop paying their minor leaguers $400 a week. Per Jeff Passan, it would cost them roughly 1 million dollars to pay them through August. The A’s owner is worth 2 billion. He also said they can’t look to sign with other teams.

And the latest proposal to the MLBPA didn’t go over well.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Thats what happens when the financials are private. Players cant trust owners.
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Not looking great for a season right now.

A’s announced they will stop paying their minor leaguers $400 a week. Per Jeff Passan, it would cost them roughly 1 million dollars to pay them through August. The A’s owner is worth 2 billion. He also said they can’t look to sign with other teams.

And the latest proposal to the MLBPA didn’t go over well.
                                If I were a player not sure I would want to take on the health risk for what they want to pay.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X